South Carolina is being invaded by Armadillos

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the increasing presence of armadillos in South Carolina, with one person sharing their experience of seeing a live armadillo for the first time and another mentioning seeing a family of them. The topic also touched on armadillos giving birth to identical quadruplets and their role as a natural predator for fire ants. There was also a discussion about using armadillos for racing and the presence of coyotes in the area.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
TL;DR Summary
...by armadillos.
I saw my first live armadillo this morning, a few blocks from my house.

armadillo.jpg

A few weeks ago, I saw a dead one next to one of our main streets.

Armadillos are Increasing Their Presence in South Carolina (SC Public Radio)

Likes OmCheeto and Drakkith
Biology news on Phys.org
Someone must have run them all out of Texas!

Or they got tired of being run over. "In Texas, there ain't nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead armadillos."

Likes Vanadium 50 and Drakkith
Looks like that guy decided he likes it here. Today I saw his family.

armadillos.jpg

Likes OmCheeto and dlgoff
Just stay away from the tails and you should be okay. They have poisonous barbs on them. I read that somewhere... :oldeyes:

jtbell said:
I saw his family.
They give birth to identical quadruplets. Or so I was told by someone who studied them in grad school/

Likes BillTre
Vanadium 50 said:
They give birth to identical quadruplets. Or so I was told by someone who studied them in grad school/
True. Its used to get identical octoples (twins times 4) for certain studies

Armadillos are a sign that fire ants are in your region because they are the only known natural predator for that invasive ant species.

• Informative
Likes jtbell and BillTre
We definitely have fire ants around here, although fortunately we don't have any in our lawn right now.

I hear the nutty Texans use them for racing. It's at least a little bit surprising, as it sounds more like something the Florida Man would do.

Do you have many coyotes where you are? They seem to have figured out how to eat Armadillos.

Of course their biggest thread is the skylark.
The Buick Skylark.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Don't you only hear them in the distance?......

Related to South Carolina is being invaded by Armadillos

1. What is causing the invasion of armadillos in South Carolina?

The invasion of armadillos in South Carolina is likely due to the expansion of their natural habitat and an increase in suitable food sources in the state. Armadillos are also known to reproduce quickly, which could contribute to their growing population in the area.

2. Are armadillos a threat to the local ecosystem in South Carolina?

While armadillos may compete with native species for food and shelter, they are not considered a major threat to the local ecosystem in South Carolina. They primarily feed on insects and other invertebrates, and their digging behavior can actually help aerate and fertilize the soil.

3. Can armadillos carry diseases that could harm humans?

Armadillos are known carriers of the bacteria that causes leprosy, but the risk of transmission to humans is very low. As long as proper precautions are taken, such as avoiding contact with armadillos and their feces, the risk of disease is minimal.

4. How can I prevent armadillos from damaging my property in South Carolina?

To prevent armadillos from damaging your property, it is important to remove any potential food sources, such as insects and grubs, from your yard. You can also install barriers, such as fencing or a trench, to prevent armadillos from digging and entering your property.

5. What should I do if I encounter an armadillo in South Carolina?

If you encounter an armadillo in South Carolina, it is best to leave it alone and avoid any direct contact. Armadillos are not aggressive animals and will typically run away if they feel threatened. If you are concerned about an armadillo on your property, you can contact a wildlife control professional for assistance.