Sources for 1D Signal Decimation - Books & URLs

• Thread starter makris
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Signal
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for sources on 1-dimensional signal decimation and the goal to code a function in MATLAB or C to perform this process. The speaker mentions the importance of understanding the theory behind decimation and suggests googling for more information. Additionally, the conversation touches on the issue of aliasing and the use of parallel filtering and downsampling.
makris
Can anybody tell a few good sources for 1dimentional signal decimation? Either books or URLs?

I know how to use the "decimate" function in MATLAB thus perform decimation, but my goal is to code a function in MATLAB (or C) to perform the same process. That is why I need the theory behind decimation.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
i don't know your application but in decimation filtering and down sampling is perform in a paralle way . suppose if we down sample first and then we will filter with low pass filter we have to face alising while if we do filtering first then down sample then also it its useless as we have to spend a lots of memory to store the FIR data so what we do is every time when we delay signal by one sample,we down sample it and multiply it with FIR coeeficient in this way we acchieve both the things

y(n)=[N-1]\sum[i=1]h(i)*X(Mn-i);

i know its a bit confussing but try to google

for your question. There are many good sources available for learning about 1D signal decimation. Here are a few recommended books and URLs:

1. "Digital Signal Processing: Principles, Algorithms, and Applications" by John G. Proakis and Dimitris G. Manolakis. This book provides a comprehensive overview of digital signal processing, including a chapter specifically on sampling and reconstruction, which covers decimation.

2. "Understanding Digital Signal Processing" by Richard G. Lyons. This book covers the fundamentals of digital signal processing, including a chapter on sampling and reconstruction that discusses decimation.

3. "The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing" by Steven W. Smith. This online resource provides a thorough introduction to digital signal processing, including a section on sampling and reconstruction that covers decimation.

4. "Signal Processing for Communications" by Paolo Prandoni and Martin Vetterli. This book covers signal processing techniques specifically for communications applications, including a chapter on sampling and reconstruction that discusses decimation.

I hope these resources will help you gain a better understanding of the theory behind decimation and assist you in coding your own function in MATLAB or C. Best of luck with your project!

Related to Sources for 1D Signal Decimation - Books & URLs

1. What is meant by "decimation" in the context of 1D signal processing?

Decimation, in the context of 1D signal processing, refers to the process of reducing the sampling rate of a signal while preserving its overall characteristics. This is often done to reduce the amount of data that needs to be processed, without significantly impacting the quality of the signal.

2. Why is decimation important in signal processing?

Decimation is important in signal processing because it allows for the reduction of data while maintaining the integrity of the signal. This is especially useful in applications where there is limited storage or processing capabilities, or when the signal is oversampled and contains redundant information.

3. What are some commonly used methods for decimation of 1D signals?

Some commonly used methods for decimation of 1D signals include interpolation, averaging, and decimation filters. These methods involve manipulating the signal in different ways to reduce the sampling rate while preserving the overall characteristics of the signal.

4. Can you recommend any books for learning about sources for 1D signal decimation?

Yes, some recommended books for learning about sources for 1D signal decimation include "Digital Signal Processing" by Proakis and Manolakis, "Signal Processing and Linear Systems" by Lathi and Ding, and "Discrete-Time Signal Processing" by Oppenheim and Schafer. These books provide a comprehensive overview of signal processing techniques, including decimation, and their applications.

5. Are there any online resources you would recommend for learning about 1D signal decimation?

Yes, there are several online resources available for learning about 1D signal decimation. Some recommended URLs include the Signal Processing Stack Exchange website, the MATLAB documentation on decimation, and the tutorial on decimation from the University of California, Davis. These resources provide in-depth explanations and examples of decimation techniques for 1D signals.