Sound waves - Detector and a moving wall

In summary: Then ##\displaystyle \frac{\lambda}{4} = 0.1038m##.In summary, the sound source, detector, and movable wall are set up in a way where the detector detects the maximum intensity. The speed of sound in air is 330 m/s and the frequency of the source is 660 Hz. By considering the path difference between the reflected and directly arriving waves at the detector, as well as the phase change at the wall, it can be determined that the distance between the wall and detector should be moved by 0.1038 meters in order for the detector to detect minimum intensity.
Saitama

Homework Statement

A sound source, detector and a movable wall are arranged as shown in the figure. In this arrangement detector is detecting the maximum intensity. If the speed of sound is 330 m/s in air and frequency of source is 600 Hz, then find the distance by which the wall should be moved away from the source, so that detector detects minimum intensity.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't quite understand the situation. Do the waves reflected by the wall ever reach the detector? I don't see how the reflected waves would reach the detector. (Can I assume that the waves get reflected the same way as a light ray would? )

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• wall and detector.png
    wall and detector.png
    4 KB · Views: 766
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you experienced echo in your life? All waves can reflect...

ehild

ehild said:
Have you experienced echo in your life? All waves can reflect...

ehild

Yes, I have experienced it but for that the reflected waves should reach the detector. But here they don't.

Why not? The reflected wave travels backwards.

ehild

ehild said:
Why not? The reflected wave travels backwards.

ehild

So the sound waves don't reflect as the light rays would? :confused:

They reflect the same way, but here the incidence is normal. That sound source can be a loudspeaker, not a "point source"

ehild said:
They reflect the same way, but here the incidence is normal. That sound source can be a loudspeaker, not a "point source"

Okay but how should I begin making the equations?

Think. How can the sound arrive by two different ways to the detector?

ehild

ehild said:
Think. How can the sound arrive by two different ways to the detector?

ehild

By reflection and directly from the source.

And what is the path difference?

ehild said:
And what is the path difference?

For constructive interference or maximum intensity, it is ##n\lambda## and for destructive interference or minimum intensity it is ##\displaystyle \left(n+\frac{1}{2}\right)\lambda## but I still have no idea what am I supposed to do with this. :confused:

What is the geometric path difference between the reflected wave and the directly arriving wave at the detector? And consider the phase change at the wall, too.

ehild

Attachments

• soundref.JPG
    soundref.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 586
ehild said:
What is the geometric path difference between the reflected wave and the directly arriving wave at the detector? And consider the phase change at the wall, too. ehild

There will be a phase change of ##\pi## which corresponds to a path difference of ##\frac{\lambda}{2}##.
[tex]\Delta p=\left(d+x+\frac{\lambda}{2}\right)-(d-x)[/tex]
[tex]\Delta p=2x+\frac{\lambda}{2}[/tex]
Is this correct?

Yes.

ehild said:
What is the geometric path difference between the reflected wave and the directly arriving wave at the detector? And consider the phase change at the wall, too.

ehild

Will there be a phase change at the wall? It's of higher acoustic impedance than the air.

Curious3141 said:
Will there be a phase change at the wall? It's of higher acoustic impedance than the air.

I just checked my notes. It says that there will be no phase change when the wave is reflected from the rigid boundary.

Should I make the equations again?

Pranav-Arora said:
I just checked my notes. It says that there will be no phase change when the wave is reflected from the rigid boundary.

Of course, if there's a change in your assumptions, there'll be a change in your equations. :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:

Yes. Omit the Lambda/2.

Curious3141 said:
Of course, if there's a change in your assumptions, there'll be a change in your equations. :smile:

Since there is no phase change, for maximum intensity,
[tex]2x=n\lambda[/tex]
For destructive interference
[tex]2x'=\left(n+\frac{1}{2}\right)\lambda[/tex]
Change in distance between the detector and wall
[tex]\Delta x=x'-x=\frac{\lambda}{4}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta x=0.125 m[/tex]

Thanks a lot both of you, this is the right answer. :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
Since there is no phase change, for maximum intensity,
[tex]2x=n\lambda[/tex]
For destructive interference
[tex]2x'=\left(n+\frac{1}{2}\right)\lambda[/tex]
Change in distance between the detector and wall
[tex]\Delta x=x'-x=\frac{\lambda}{4}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta x=0.125 m[/tex]

Thanks a lot both of you, this is the right answer. :smile:

Isn't ##\displaystyle \frac{\lambda}{4} = 0.1375m##? :confused:

##\displaystyle \lambda = \frac{v}{f} = \frac{330ms^{-1}}{600s^{-1}} = 0.55m##

Curious3141 said:
Isn't ##\displaystyle \frac{\lambda}{4} = 0.1375m##? :confused:

##\displaystyle \lambda = \frac{v}{f} = \frac{330ms^{-1}}{600s^{-1}} = 0.55m##

Sorry about that, its 660 Hz in the question. That's a typo in the main post. :)

Pranav-Arora said:
Sorry about that, its 660 Hz in the question. That's a typo in the main post. :)

Ah, OK.

Related to Sound waves - Detector and a moving wall

1. What is a sound wave?

A sound wave is a type of energy that travels through a medium, such as air or water, in the form of vibrations. These vibrations are created by an object or source, and they cause the molecules in the medium to vibrate, producing sound.

2. How do sound waves interact with a moving wall?

When a sound wave encounters a moving wall, the frequency and wavelength of the wave are affected. If the wall is moving towards the sound source, the frequency of the wave will increase, and the wavelength will decrease. If the wall is moving away from the sound source, the frequency will decrease, and the wavelength will increase.

3. What is a sound wave detector?

A sound wave detector is a device that is used to detect and measure sound waves. It can be as simple as the human ear or as complex as advanced scientific equipment. The most common type of sound wave detector is a microphone, which converts sound waves into electrical signals that can be amplified and analyzed.

4. How can sound wave detectors be used in scientific research?

Sound wave detectors have a wide range of applications in scientific research. They can be used to study the properties of sound waves and how they interact with different materials and environments. They are also used in fields such as acoustics, seismology, and oceanography to study sound and its effects on the environment.

5. What is the Doppler effect and how does it relate to sound waves and moving walls?

The Doppler effect is a phenomenon that describes the change in frequency and wavelength of a wave as the source or observer is in motion. This effect is observed with sound waves when a moving wall causes a change in the frequency and wavelength of the wave. It is an essential concept in understanding how sound waves interact with a moving wall.