Sound Wave Propagation problem

In summary, the equation for a transverse wave is given and the speed of propagation, period, and wavelength are requested. The amplitude, angular frequency, and k value are known, and the speed of propagation is found by dividing the angular frequency by k. The units are then converted to meters and the equation is rewritten. The speed of the wave is calculated and the period and wavelength are found using the formulas 1/f = 2pi/omega and 2pi/k, respectively. The final answers are 0.509 m/s for the speed of propagation, 0.0247 s for the period, and 0.0126 m for the wavelength.
scienceman2k9
Problem:

The equation of a certain traveling transverse wave is
y(x,t)=4.00sin(81.0(pi)t - 1.590(pi)x) where t is in seconds and x and y are in cenimeters. Find the speed of propagation, the period and the wavelength for these waves (express you answer in units of m/s)

So, I know A (amplitude) is 4.00cm...0.04m and the angular frequency is 81.0pi rad/s and k=1.590pi . To find the speed of propagation i divided angular frequency by k and got 50.94, but i don't know if that cm/s or not since the whole equation is based in cm. I can find the other values too, but I am not sure if I need to convert my answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
scienceman2k9 said:
Problem:

The equation of a certain traveling transverse wave is
y(x,t)=4.00sin(81.0(pi)t - 1.590(pi)x) where t is in seconds and x and y are in cenimeters. Find the speed of propagation, the period and the wavelength for these waves (express you answer in units of m/s)

So, I know A (amplitude) is 4.00cm...0.04m and the angular frequency is 81.0pi rad/s and k=1.590pi . To find the speed of propagation i divided angular frequency by k and got 50.94, but i don't know if that cm/s or not since the whole equation is based in cm. I can find the other values too, but I am not sure if I need to convert my answers.
Convert distances to metres and rewrite the equation:

[tex]y(x,t)=4.00\sin{81.0\pi t} - (1.590\pi)(100x)[/tex]

[itex] k = 159\pi m^{-1}[/itex] Speed of the wave is [itex]\omega/k[/itex] in [itex]sec^{-1}/m^{-1} =\text{m/sec.}[/itex]
AM

Last edited:
I got:

v= 0.509 m/s (omega/k)

T= 0.0247 s (1/f = 2pi/omega)

wavlength= 0.0126 m (2pi/k)

Related to Sound Wave Propagation problem

1. What is sound wave propagation?

Sound wave propagation is the process by which sound waves travel through a medium such as air, water, or solids. It involves the transfer of energy from one particle to another, creating a wave of pressure fluctuations that can be perceived as sound.

2. What factors affect sound wave propagation?

Several factors can affect sound wave propagation, including the properties of the medium (such as density, temperature, and humidity), the frequency and amplitude of the sound wave, and the presence of obstacles or barriers that can reflect or absorb the sound.

3. How does sound wave propagation differ in different mediums?

The speed of sound and the way sound waves behave can vary in different mediums. For example, sound travels faster in solids than in liquids or gases, and the frequency and amplitude of the sound can also be affected by the medium's properties. Additionally, some mediums may absorb or reflect sound more than others.

4. What is the inverse square law and how does it relate to sound wave propagation?

The inverse square law states that the intensity of a sound wave decreases in proportion to the square of the distance from the source. This means that as sound travels away from its source, it becomes weaker and less audible. This law is important in understanding how sound propagates and can be used to calculate the sound level at different distances from a source.

5. How do scientists study sound wave propagation?

Scientists use various techniques and equipment to study sound wave propagation, including microphones, hydrophones, and seismometers. They also use computer simulations and mathematical models to understand how sound waves behave in different conditions and environments. Field experiments and laboratory experiments are also conducted to gather data and study specific aspects of sound wave propagation.