Sound Sensors: How They Work & Applications

• Thread starter irony of truth
  • Start date
In summary, a sound sensor in a toy works by detecting sound waves and converting them into an electrical signal. This signal is then used to activate the toy's functions.
irony of truth
On sound

Hi everyone... how does a sound controlled sensor work, like those in the toys?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am guessing...If you think about how the sound propagates, we know the sound is a form of wave that travels through the medium such as air. So when the sound is created there must be some disturbance in the air which can be sensiable mechanically by well designed detector. Imagine you're in the water. If disturbe the water by swinging my hand under the water next to you won't you feel the disturbance? I think that will triggers the what ever the action the toy will take

The receiver on a phone, for instance is a transducer which converts air pressure signals (i.e. sound) into electric signals. When a sound wave impinges on the transducer, it converts it into an electrical signal, which is then used to set of whatever it is supposed to set off.

Claude.

I doubt a toy would have a sound sencor as complicated on a phone.

What kind of toy? Are we speaking of a common microphone? Like a sound wave can move an eardrum, it can move a magnet, and moving a magnet besides a wire will generate a current in the wire. That's a mike.

Now if the wire is 1 km long, you almost got a telephone.

Put another magnet attached to a membrane on the other end of the wire, and its current will make the magnet-membrane do the same airwaves that originally made the current. That's a speaker, and completes the telephone. That's the concept.

Nenad said:
I doubt a toy would have a sound sencor as complicated on a phone.

I disagree. Go to Radio Shack and by a small condensor mic for a couple of dollars. Same deal.

A sound sensor in a toy does not have to be as accurate as a phone which must replicate the human voice quite accurately for it to be understood and to identify a person. Some sensors may be quite sensitive to particular sound frequencies and not to others, especially ones using acoustically active materials such as quartz.
Sensors are usually desribed by their sensitivity and spectral/spacial response which vary considerably depending on their size and construction.
Ray

Related to Sound Sensors: How They Work & Applications

What is a sound sensor?

A sound sensor, also known as an acoustic sensor, is a device that can detect and measure sound waves in the environment.

How does a sound sensor work?

A sound sensor works by converting sound waves into electrical signals. This is done through a transducer, which is a device that converts one form of energy into another. In the case of a sound sensor, the transducer converts the mechanical energy of sound waves into electrical energy, which can then be measured and analyzed.

What are the applications of sound sensors?

Sound sensors have a wide range of applications, including noise pollution monitoring, speech recognition, and audio recording. They are also used in security systems to detect and alert for intruders, and in musical instruments to detect and produce sound.

How accurate are sound sensors?

The accuracy of a sound sensor depends on various factors, such as the quality of the transducer, the frequency range it can detect, and the calibration of the device. In general, modern sound sensors are highly accurate and can detect sound waves with great precision.

Can sound sensors be used in underwater environments?

Yes, sound sensors can be used in underwater environments. In fact, they are commonly used for oceanographic research and marine animal monitoring. Specialized underwater sound sensors, known as hydrophones, are designed to withstand the high pressure and harsh conditions of the ocean.