Some verification of equation on the article of Bessel Function

In summary, the article on Bessel Functions discusses the various ways to verify the accuracy of equations related to these special functions. These methods include checking for orthogonality, using integral representations, and examining the behavior of the functions at infinity. The article also highlights the importance of understanding the properties and behaviors of Bessel Functions in order to properly utilize them in mathematical and scientific applications. By verifying the equations, we can ensure the reliability and usefulness of these functions in solving complex problems.
yungman
I want to verify there are typos in page 11 of http://math.arizona.edu/~zakharov/BesselFunctions.pdf

1) Right below equation (51)

[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi}\left(e^{j\theta}-e^{-j\theta}\right)^{n+q}e^{-jn\theta}=\left(1-e^{-2j\theta}\right)^n\left(e^{j\theta}-e^{-j\theta}\right)^q[/tex]
There should not be ##\frac {1}{2\pi}## on the left hand side. That will not work.

2)Then in equation (52)
[tex]A_n(z)=\left(\frac z 2 \right)^n\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(n+2k)!}\left(\frac z 2 \right)^k I_{k,n} [/tex]
Should have a 2 in the power of k. Also, since ##p=n+2k##, It should be:
[tex]A_n(z)=\left(\frac z 2\right)^n\sum_{n+2k=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(n+2k)!}\left(\frac z 2\right)^{2k} I_{k,n} [/tex]
As ##p=n+q## where ##q=2k## for even order. Therefore ##p=n+2k##.
To further prove my assertion, if you look at the bottom of the page 11:
[tex]A_n(z)=\left(\frac z 2 \right)^n\sum_0^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k}{k!(n+k)!}\left(\frac z 2 \right)^k ≠J_n(z)[/tex]
[tex]J_n(z)\;=\;\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k}{k!(n+k)!}\left(\frac z 2 \right)^{2k+n} [/tex]

I don't even know how to set the lower limit of the ##\sum## as I stated that the original was ##\sum_{p=0}^{\infty}##, all of a sudden, it becomes ##\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}## which should be ##\sum_{n+2k=0}^{\infty}##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yungman said:
[tex]A_n(z)=\left(\frac z 2 \right)^n\sum_0^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k}{k!(n+k)!}\left(\frac z 2 \right)^k ≠J_n(z)[/tex]
[tex]J_n(z)\;=\;\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k}{k!(n+k)!}\left(\frac z 2 \right)^{2k+n} [/tex]

I don't even know how to set the lower limit of the ##\sum## as I stated that the original was ##\sum_{p=0}^{\infty}##, all of a sudden, it becomes ##\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}## which should be ##\sum_{n+2k=0}^{\infty}##

I was thinking, the reason ##\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}## is because even though ##p=n+2k##, n is really a constant and the ##\left(\frac{z}{2}\right)^n## can be moved totally out of the ##\sum##. So the ##\sum## is really for series representation of the exponential functions. Therefore, we start with k=0. What do you think?

Thanks

Related to Some verification of equation on the article of Bessel Function

1. What is the Bessel Function and why is it important?

The Bessel Function is a mathematical function that is used to solve differential equations in physics and engineering. It is important because it has a wide range of applications, such as in the study of heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and quantum mechanics.

2. How is the Bessel Function verified and validated?

The Bessel Function can be verified and validated through various methods, such as comparing the results with known solutions, conducting experiments, and using numerical methods. Additionally, the accuracy of the Bessel Function can be checked by comparing it with other mathematical models.

3. Can the Bessel Function be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, the Bessel Function is commonly used to solve real-world problems in physics and engineering. It has been applied in various fields, such as acoustics, electromagnetism, and signal processing.

4. How accurate is the Bessel Function in practical applications?

The accuracy of the Bessel Function depends on the specific problem and the methods used to solve it. In general, it is a highly accurate mathematical function and its results can be verified through experiments and comparisons with other models.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions to consider when using the Bessel Function?

Like any mathematical model, the Bessel Function has its limitations and assumptions. For example, it assumes that the variables in the equation are continuous and differentiable. It is also important to consider the range of validity for the specific problem being solved.