Some theorems regarding decimal representations

In summary, The goal is to prove that if two decimal representations of a non-negative real number are given, then they are essentially the same with possibly some trailing zeros. This can be proven by showing that if the first number is less than the second number, then the second number can be written as the first number plus one with all trailing zeros, and if the two numbers are equal but there exists a decimal digit that differs, then that digit can be adjusted to make the two numbers essentially the same with trailing zeros. This can be done by considering the nature of decimal representations and the fact that there are at most two representations for any number.
Ed Quanta
I have to prove the following, and while I understand why the following is true, and I am not sure how to begin writing it out

Let m.d1d2d3... and m'.d1'd2'd3' represent the same non-negative real number

1)If m<m', then I have to prove m'=m+1 and every di'=0 and di=0

2)If m=m' and there is such i that di does not equal di' then we let N=least element of {i/di does not equal di'}. If dN<dN' then dN'=dN + 1, di'=0 for all i>N, and di=9 for all i>N.

Once again, I understand why this is true simply because of the nature of 1=.9999... and therefore there being at most two decimal representations of any number, yet I am not sure how to go about proving such a statement.

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, you should be able to get both of them in a single proof -- they're essentially the same.

Consider that the difference of the numbers is zero.

To prove these theorems, we will use the definition of a decimal representation of a number. A decimal representation of a number is a way of writing a number using the digits 0-9, with a decimal point separating the whole number part from the decimal part. For example, the number 3.14159 can be represented as 3.14159.

1) If m < m', then we can write m' as m+1. This is because m' is a larger number than m, and the difference between them is 1. Therefore, the decimal representation of m will have one less digit than the representation of m'. This means that all the digits after the decimal point in the representation of m will be 0, as they do not exist in the representation of m. Similarly, in the representation of m', all the digits after the decimal point will be 0, as they do not exist in the representation of m+1. Therefore, every di'=0 and di=0.

2) If m = m' and there is an i where di does not equal di', then we can write m as m'+0.000...0, where there are n zeros after the decimal point. This is because m=m' and there is at least one digit where di does not equal di'. This means that the representation of m will have at least one digit that is different from the representation of m'. Let N be the least element of {i/di does not equal di'}. This means that all the digits after the decimal point in the representation of m will be equal to the digits after the decimal point in the representation of m' up to the Nth digit. After the Nth digit, the digits will be different. For example, if m=3.14159 and m'=3.14169, then N=5 and d5=5 and d5'=9.

If dN<dN', then we can write dN' as dN+1. This is because dN is smaller than dN', and the only way to make them equal is by adding 1 to dN. Similarly, all the digits after dN' will be 0, as they do not exist in the representation of m'+0.000...0. Therefore, di'=0 for all i>N.

On the other hand, di=9 for all i>N. This is because we are adding

Related to Some theorems regarding decimal representations

1. What is a decimal representation?

A decimal representation is a way of expressing a number using the decimal system, which is based on the number 10. It includes a decimal point and can have digits to the left and/or right of the decimal point.

2. What is the significance of decimal representations in mathematics?

Decimal representations are important in mathematics because they allow for the precise representation and manipulation of numbers, especially fractions and irrational numbers. They also provide a standardized system for representing and comparing numbers.

3. What are some common theorems related to decimal representations?

Some common theorems include the decimal expansion theorem, which states that every real number can be represented as a decimal, and the density theorem, which states that between any two real numbers, there exists an infinite number of other real numbers. Other theorems involve the properties of repeating and terminating decimals.

4. Are there any limitations to decimal representations?

Yes, there are limitations to decimal representations. For example, some numbers cannot be precisely represented in decimal form, such as irrational numbers like pi or the square root of 2. Additionally, decimal representations can become increasingly long and complex for certain numbers, making them difficult to work with.

5. How are decimal representations used in other fields besides mathematics?

Decimal representations are used in a variety of fields, such as finance, science, and engineering. In finance, decimal representations are used for currency and financial calculations. In science, they are used for measurements and calculations involving quantities. In engineering, they are used for precise measurements and calculations in design and construction.