Some seat numbers missing on flight

In summary, certain row numbers are missing on flights to ensure standardization across the fleet. This means that specific row numbers, such as 20 and 21, are always assigned to exit rows or that 11 is always the first row in economy. This standardization helps in cases where airlines need to swap out planes. There can be various reasons for omitting other row numbers, such as having the same numbers on different aircraft models. This information can easily be found through a quick Google search.
Raghav Gupta
Why some row numbers like 13 ( know the reason of unlucky number), 18, 19, 20, 21, 32, 33 and 42 are missing on flights?

Physics news on Phys.org
So that certain rows are standardized across the fleet - e..g. 20 and 21 are always exit rows, or that 11 is always the first row in economy.

This took Google less than a second to find.

Vanadium 50 said:
So that certain rows are standardized across the fleet - e..g. 20 and 21 are always exit rows, or that 11 is always the first row in economy.

This took Google less than a second to find.
I used google but was not able to find the answers. Maybe I don't know the correct keyword. I typed "Why certain rows are missing in flights". Got the only result of sites showing why 13 is omitted.
Why 18, 19 are omitted then?

Raghav Gupta said:
Why 18, 19 are omitted then?

Did you bother to even read what I wrote? "So that certain rows are standardized across the fleet".

Likes Silicon Waffle
It's nice to learn that assigning a number to a seat on an airplane also needs to follow a certain standard. :biggrin:

Related to Some seat numbers missing on flight

1. Why are seat numbers sometimes missing on a flight?

There are a few reasons why seat numbers may be missing on a flight. One possibility is that the plane has been overbooked and the airline needs to rearrange seating to accommodate all passengers. Another reason could be that some seats have been reserved for specific passengers, such as those with disabilities or unaccompanied minors.

2. Will I still have a seat if my seat number is missing?

Yes, even if your seat number is missing, you will still have a seat on the flight. The airline may ask you to choose a different seat or assign you one at the gate. In rare cases, they may offer compensation for the inconvenience of not having a pre-assigned seat.

3. Can I choose my seat if there are missing seat numbers?

It depends on the airline's policies. Some airlines allow passengers to choose their seats during check-in or at the gate, while others may assign seats at random or based on factors like frequent flyer status. If you have a specific seating preference, it is best to contact the airline directly.

4. Is it a safety concern if there are missing seat numbers on a flight?

No, it is not a safety concern if there are missing seat numbers on a flight. The plane's seating capacity is determined by safety regulations, and the airline will not sell more tickets than there are seats available. In some cases, seat numbers may be missing due to last-minute changes or maintenance issues, but this does not affect the safety of the flight.

5. Will I be able to sit with my travel companion if there are missing seat numbers?

If you are traveling with a companion and your seat numbers are missing, the airline will try their best to accommodate your seating preferences. However, this cannot be guaranteed, especially if the flight is full or near capacity. It is recommended to contact the airline in advance to request seating together or arrive early to speak with the gate agent.