Some history of the Darwin awards

• History
  • Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    History
In summary, the conversation was about a website called darwinawards.com that showcases stories of people who have received the Darwin Award for their foolish and often dangerous actions. The speakers were impressed by the site and shared some examples of past recipients. They also warned against trying to replicate any of the stunts on the site.
Danger
Gold Member
Hi, guys. No time to hang around right now, but I just stumbled upon this site that could keep me occupied for days. I've heard of some Darwin recipients, but this seems to be a history of the award.
http://darwinawards.com/darwin/

Science news on Phys.org
That's a wicked site. Like the guy that was trying to crack open a grenade for scrap metal by driving his truck over it a couple times. Or the Vietnamese guy that put an old detonator in his mouth trying to impress his friends. Blew out all his face. Crazy stuff.

Danger said:
Hi, guys. No time to hang around right now, but I just stumbled upon this site that could keep me occupied for days. I've heard of some Darwin recipients, but this seems to be a history of the award.
http://darwinawards.com/darwin/

Great site, it has given me some ideas, but if you are looking Evo please do not go there.

Related to Some history of the Darwin awards

What is the Darwin Awards?

The Darwin Awards are a tongue-in-cheek honor given to people who have died or become sterile as a result of their own foolish or reckless actions.

Who came up with the idea for the Darwin Awards?

The Darwin Awards were created by Wendy Northcutt in 1985 as a way to honor Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection by showcasing individuals who have removed themselves from the gene pool in a particularly idiotic manner.

Are the Darwin Awards real awards?

While the Darwin Awards are a real concept, they are not officially recognized or endorsed by any organization. They are meant to be humorous and are not meant to be taken seriously.

What are some notable examples of Darwin Award winners?

Some famous examples of Darwin Award winners include a man who tried to use a chainsaw to trim a tree while standing on top of it, a thief who tried to rob a bank by using a chainsaw to cut through the roof, and a woman who died after trying to take a selfie with a wild bear.

Has anyone ever refused a Darwin Award?

There have been a few cases of individuals who have survived their foolish actions and have refused to accept their nomination for a Darwin Award. These cases are rare, as the majority of nominees are posthumously awarded the "honor".