Some basic questions on the way sets are defined

• Thread starter sa1988
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionQ.1I'm a little confused with how subsets and elements are defined in the case of the given set "A" as it seems to be a set of sets, so I'm going to throw my answers out and would appreciate any guidance on where I'm wrong (if anywhere).A = \Big\{\emptyset, \big\{\emptyset, \{\emptyset\}\big\}\Big\}"A" has two elementsa) \emptyset\subset A - Trueb) \emptyset\in A - Truec) \{\emptyset\}\subset
sa1988

Homework Statement

1zgb41.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Q.1

I'm a little confused with how subsets and elements are defined in the case of the given set "A" as it seems to be a set of sets, so I'm going to throw my answers out and would appreciate any guidance on where I'm wrong (if anywhere).

[itex]A = \Big\{\emptyset, \big\{\emptyset, \{\emptyset\}\big\}\Big\}[/itex]

"A" has two elements

a) [itex]\emptyset\subset A[/itex] - True
b) [itex]\emptyset\in A [/itex] - True
c) [itex]\{\emptyset\}\subset A [/itex] - Not true
d) [itex]\{\emptyset\}\in A[/itex] - Not true
e) [itex]\{\emptyset, \{\emptyset\}\}\subset A[/itex] - True
f) [itex]\{\emptyset, \{\emptyset\}\}\in A[/itex] - True

Q.2

Not sure what's going on here either. I think the issue is in my own flawed understanding of the notation used in sets generally.

[itex] f : R \rightarrow R[/itex] such that [itex]f(x) = x^{2}[/itex]

My understanding thus far is that the cartesian product of two sets X and Y is:

[itex]X \times Y = \{(x,y) : x\in X, y\in Y\}[/itex]

So in the case of [itex]f(x) = x^2[/itex], we have:

a) [itex]f((-1,2)) = (-1,2) \times (-1,2) = \big((-1,-1),(-1,2),(2,-1),(2,2)\big)[/itex]

but then part of me wonders if I've got it all wrong and it should really just be [itex]f((-1,2)) = ((1,4))[/itex] ..??

And then for part b:

b) [itex]f((-1,2]) = ... [/itex] ...

I don't really understand this at all since it has a square bracket which I'm led to believe means it represents a continuous interval of numbers not including that which is on the side of the curled bracket (according to this - interval notation). If that's the case, I don't know how to perform [itex]X \times Y[/itex] in the way I defined above.

And then we have stuff to do with [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] which is a whole other thing entirely.

(Just to check - am I right in saying that [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] on a set [itex]Y[/itex] is all the elements [itex]x \in X[/itex] such that [itex]f(x) \in Y[/itex] ??)

Or in other words: [itex]f^{-1}(Y) = \{ x \in X : f(x) \in Y \}[/itex] - right?

Hints much appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
sa1988 said:

Homework Statement

1zgb41.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Q.1

I'm a little confused with how subsets and elements are defined in the case of the given set "A" as it seems to be a set of sets, so I'm going to throw my answers out and would appreciate any guidance on where I'm wrong (if anywhere).

"A" has two elements

a) [itex]\emptyset\subset A[/itex] - True
b) [itex]\emptyset\in A [/itex] - True
c) [itex]\{\emptyset\}\subset A [/itex] - Not true
d) [itex]\{\emptyset\}\in A[/itex] - Not true
e) [itex]\{\emptyset, \{\emptyset\}\}\subset A[/itex] - True
f) [itex]\{\emptyset, \{\emptyset\}\}\in A[/itex] - True

You shouldn't post two questions in 1.

I don't agree with your answers. Which ones are you sure about?

Likes sa1988
PeroK said:
You shouldn't post two questions in 1.

I don't agree with your answers. Which ones are you sure about?

To be honest I'm not sure on any of them so far.

My problem I think lies in that I don't understand the difference between [itex]\{\emptyset\}[/itex] and [itex]\emptyset[/itex]

To me it seems that one is the empty set, and the other is a set with the empty set in, which is just the empty set, so they're the same. This surely isn't the case because it makes things too trivial, but I don't know how else to interpret those two things.

Thanks.

sa1988 said:
To be honest I'm not sure on any of them so far.

My problem I think lies in that I don't understand the difference between [itex]\{\emptyset\}[/itex] and [itex]\emptyset[/itex]

To me it seems that one is the empty set, and the other is a set with the empty set in, which is just the empty set, so they're the same. This surely isn't the case because it makes things too trivial, but I don't know how else to interpret those two things.

Thanks.

There is a difference between the element ##a## and the set containing ##a##, denoted by ##\lbrace a \rbrace##. Similarly for the empty set. The set containing the empty set is not empty! It has one member: the empty set.

Likes sa1988
You could replace the elements of ##A## by some other names, solve the questions and replace them backwards.

Likes sa1988 and PeroK
PeroK said:
There is a difference between the element ##a## and the set containing ##a##, denoted by ##\lbrace a \rbrace##. Similarly for the empty set. The set containing the empty set is not empty! It has one member: the empty set.

Excellent, thanks, I think it's all clicked now. Updated answers are below.

"A" has two elements

a) [itex]\emptyset\subset A[/itex] - NOT True because [itex]\emptyset[/itex] is just an element, not a set, and therefore cannot be a subset
b) [itex]\emptyset\in A [/itex] - True because it is an element of A
c) [itex]\{\emptyset\}\subset A [/itex] - True since [itex]A = \Big\{\emptyset, \big\{\emptyset, \{\emptyset\}\big\}\Big\} = \{\emptyset\}\cup \Big\{\big\{\emptyset,\{\emptyset\}\big\}\Big\}[/itex], so clearly [itex]\{\emptyset\}\subset A [/itex]
d) [itex]\{\emptyset\}\in A[/itex] - NOT true, this set is not en element of A.
e) [itex]\{\emptyset, \{\emptyset\}\}\subset A[/itex] - NOT True, it is only an element.
f) [itex]\{\emptyset, \{\emptyset\}\}\in A[/itex] - True.

To a): Can you tell all subsets of ##A=\{1,2\}\, ?## How many are there? Why doesn't the argument under c) apply?

Likes sa1988
fresh_42 said:
To a): Can you tell all subsets of ##A=\{1,2\}\, ?## How many are there? Why doesn't the argument under c) apply?

Hmm, I hope I'm right in saying [itex]\emptyset, \{1\}, \{2\}, \{1,2\}[/itex] are subsets of [itex]\{1,2\}[/itex].

This now leads me to question my result for part a) however...

Another way I'm seeing it is that the empty set is {} , hence {}, {1}, {2} and {1, 2} are subsets of {1,2}

So for { 0, {0,{0}} }, the subsets are {}, {0}, { {0,{0}} } and { 0, {0,{0}} }

and {} is the empty set ##\emptyset##

hence ##\emptyset \subset A## ..?

Last edited:
Yes, the empty set is always a subset, regardless what is in the set. You said it already under c) : ##A=A\cup\{\} \Rightarrow \{\} \subseteq A##.

Likes sa1988
fresh_42 said:
Yes, the empty set is always a subset, regardless what is in the set. You said it already under c) : ##A=A\cup\{\} \Rightarrow \{\} \subseteq A##.

Great stuff, thanks.

So just to check - the answers I gave for a) to f) were correct apart from part a), which should have been 'true' since ##\emptyset## is always a subset of any set.

If I didn't become confused myself, yes. In the original post c) and e) were wrong. e) could be "repaired" to be true with an additional bracket around: ##\{\{\emptyset, \{\emptyset\}\}\} \subsetneq A\,,## because the element would be then in a set.

Likes Logical Dog and sa1988
Great, thanks a lot. All understood now.

I'll have another look at Q2 tomorrow, probably in a new thread as requested.

Likes fresh_42
I think, for d, at least for F(x) is equivalent to

[tex] \left (-\infty ,0 \right ]\times [0, \infty)[/tex] but don't know how to find f-1, hinki it is an emppty set

sa1988 said:
f−1f−1

Last edited:

Related to Some basic questions on the way sets are defined

What is a set?

A set is a collection of distinct objects or elements that are grouped together based on a common characteristic or property.

How are sets defined?

Sets are defined by listing their elements within curly braces, separated by commas. For example, the set of even numbers can be defined as {2, 4, 6, 8, ...}.

What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set is the number of elements in the set. It can be represented by the symbol |A|, where A is the set. For example, if A = {1, 2, 3}, then |A| = 3.

What is the empty set?

The empty set, or null set, is a set with no elements. It is represented by the symbol ∅ and is a subset of all other sets.

What is the difference between a set and a subset?

A set is a collection of elements, while a subset is a set that contains only some of the elements of another set. In other words, all elements of a subset are also elements of the original set, but not all elements of the original set are necessarily in the subset.