Some algebra in Schutz's textbook

In summary: DI am such an idiot. :facepalm::thumbsup: :oldbiggrin:In summary, the conversation discusses the use of maple for algebraic manipulations in deriving equations in physics, specifically in deriving the expression for D = -Δsin^2θ in equation (11.89) on page 313 of a physics textbook. The conversation also touches on the derivation of equation (11.91) on page 314 and the confusion surrounding the term in the numerator, which is eventually determined to be Δr^4.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
There's some algebraic manipulation which I need help with on pages 309-313 of Schutz's second edition of "A First Course in GR".
Until I understand how to use maple for my steps by steps algebra manipulation feature (which I learned it has), I'll use PF for some help in the algebra.
I want to derive the expression for ##D=-\Delta \sin^2 \theta## on page 313 in Equation (11.89).
Attachments of printscreen below.

I wrote two lines, and got discouraged because it seems a long calculation.

$$D=\bigg(\frac{a^2\sin^2 \theta-\Delta^2}{\rho^2}\bigg) \bigg(\frac{(r^2+a^2)^2-a^2\Delta\sin^2\theta}{\rho^2}\bigg)\sin^2\theta-\frac{4a^2M^2 r^2\sin^4\theta}{\rho^4}$$
$$=[a^2\sin^2\theta(r^2+a^2)^2-a^4\Delta \sin^4 \theta-\Delta^2(r^2+a^2)^2+a^2\Delta^3\sin^2\theta]\frac{\sin^2\theta}{\rho^4}-4a^2M^2r^2\sin^4\theta/\rho^4$$
##\Delta## and ##\rho^2## are given on page 309.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are the attachments.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2021-08-26 15-51-59.png
    Screenshot from 2021-08-26 15-51-59.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot from 2021-08-26 15-52-41.png
    Screenshot from 2021-08-26 15-52-41.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 73
I am not sure about your derivation. How did you get the term in the numerator of ##(-a^4 \sin^6\theta)##? after you extract ##\sin^2(\theta)## from the numerator you get: ##-a^4 \sin^4\theta## which in the denominator the suitable expression doesn't have a minus sign it has ##a^4 \sin^4\theta##. I assume you should be getting: ##-\Delta \sin^2\theta (\frac{A}{A})## where ##A## is some expression that depends on ##\theta,r,a## But you don't get the same expression in the numerator as in the denominator. This is why I wanted maple's to check it for me; but as of yet I don't understand how to use maple to expand this expression while showing all the steps.
There's no mistake! 😋\begin{align*}
K &= -\sin^2{\theta} \left[ \dfrac{\Delta(r^2+a^2)^2 - a^2\sin^2{\theta}(r^2+a^2)^2 - \Delta^2 a^2 \sin^2{\theta} + \Delta a^4 \sin^4{\theta}}{\Sigma^2}\right] \\
&\quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad - \, \, \dfrac{a^2\sin^4{\theta}[(r^2+a^2)^2 - 2\Delta(r^2+a^2) + \Delta^2]}{\Sigma^2} \\ \\

&= \dfrac{\Delta \sin^2{\theta}}{\Sigma^2} \left[ 2a^2(r^2+a^2) \sin^2{\theta} - a^4 \sin^4{\theta} - (r^2 +a^2)^2 \right]
\end{align*}Recall that \begin{align*}\Sigma^2 = (r^2+a^2\cos^2{\theta})^2 &= r^4 + 2r^2 a^2(1-\sin^2{\theta}) + a^4 (1-\sin^2{\theta})^2 \\

&= r^4 + 2r^2 a^2 - 2r^2 a^2 \sin^2{\theta} + a^4 -2a^4 \sin^2{\theta} + a^4 \sin^4{\theta} \\

&= -\left[ 2a^2(r^2+a^2) \sin^2{\theta} - a^4 \sin^4{\theta} - (r^2 +a^2)^2 \right]

\end{align*}therefore ##K = -\Delta \sin^2{\theta}##

ergospherical said:
There's no mistake! 😋\begin{align*}
K &= -\sin^2{\theta} \left[ \dfrac{\Delta(r^2+a^2)^2 - a^2\sin^2{\theta}(r^2+a^2)^2 - \Delta^2 a^2 \sin^2{\theta} + \Delta a^4 \sin^4{\theta}}{\Sigma^2}\right] \\
&\quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad - \, \, \dfrac{a^2\sin^4{\theta}[(r^2+a^2)^2 - 2\Delta(r^2+a^2) + \Delta^2]}{\Sigma^2} \\ \\

&= \dfrac{\Delta \sin^2{\theta}}{\Sigma^2} \left[ 2a^2(r^2+a^2) \sin^2{\theta} - a^4 \sin^4{\theta} - (r^2 +a^2)^2 \right]
\end{align*}Recall that \begin{align*}\Sigma^2 = (r^2+a^2\cos^2{\theta})^2 &= r^4 + 2r^2 a^2(1-\sin^2{\theta}) + a^4 (1-\sin^2{\theta})^2 \\

&= r^4 + 2r^2 a^2 - 2r^2 a^2 \sin^2{\theta} + a^4 -2a^4 \sin^2{\theta} + a^4 \sin^4{\theta} \\

&= -\left[ 2a^2(r^2+a^2) \sin^2{\theta} - a^4 \sin^4{\theta} - (r^2 +a^2)^2 \right]

\end{align*}therefore ##K = -\Delta \sin^2{\theta}##
Yeah, the mistake was on my part... :oldbiggrin:

@ergospherical have you also done the algebra of equation (11.91) on page 314?
The equation is: ##(\frac{dr}{d\lambda})^2=g^{rr}[(-g^{tt})E^2+2g^{t\phi}EL-g^{\phi \phi}L^2] \ \ \ (11.91)##.

Page 314 looks okay to me; which bit's causing you trouble?

ergospherical said:
Page 314 looks okay to me; which bit's causing you trouble?
How to derive it?
From which Equation or Equations does it follow?
Thanks!

Firstly, the photon is constrained to the equatorial plane, therefore ##p^{\theta} = 0##. Since ##g_{\mu \nu} p^{\mu} p^{\nu} = g^{\mu \nu}p_{\mu} p_{\nu} = 0## it follows that\begin{align*}
g^{tt} p_t p_t + g^{rr} p_r p_r + g^{\phi \phi} p_{\phi} p_{\phi} + 2g^{t\phi} p_t p_{\phi} &= 0 \\
\end{align*}then because ##E = -p_t## and ##L=p_{\phi}## we have\begin{align*}
g_{rr} (p^r)^2 &= -g^{tt} E^2 - g^{\phi \phi} L^2 + 2g^{t\phi}EL \\
(p^r)^2 &= g^{rr} \left[ -g^{tt} E^2 - g^{\phi \phi} L^2 + 2g^{t\phi}EL \right]
\end{align*}since ##g^{rr} = 1/g_{rr}## and ##p_r = g_{rr} p^r##. Putting ##p^r = dr/d\lambda## gives 11.91.

Likes MathematicalPhysicist and vanhees71
@ergospherical sorry to bother you again.

But there's something with equation (11.95) that got me stumped.
How did he get in the numerator the term: ##\pm r^2 \Delta^{1/2}##?
I get the following equations:
##\frac{g^{\phi\phi}}{g^{tt}}=\frac{a^2-\Delta}{(r^2+a^2)^2-a^2\Delta}##
So ##\omega^2 - \frac{g^{\phi \phi}}{g^{tt}}=\frac{4M^2r^2a^2-(a^2-\Delta)[(r^2+a^2)-a^2\Delta]}{[(r^2+a^2)^2-a^2\Delta]^2}##.
How does the numerator get in the end to: ##r^4\Delta##?

I get that the numerator becomes after substituting ##-2Mr= \Delta-(r^2+a^2)##:
the numerator: ##\Delta^2-2\Delta(r^2+a^2)+(r^2+a^2)^2-a^2(r^2+a^2)^2+\Delta (r^2+a^2)^2 -a^2\Delta^2+a^4 \Delta##.

Now, I am stuck.
How to proceed?, assuming I got until here correctly, which might be wrong... :-D

I did see it yesterday, I just forgot about it... sorry :wink:
You just missed the factor of ##a^2## off of ##4M^2 r^2 a^2##. It should be\begin{align*}
((r^2+a^2)^2-a^2\Delta)^2 \left(\omega^2 - \frac{g^{\phi \phi}}{g^{tt}} \right)&=4M^2r^2a^2-(a^2-\Delta)((r^2+a^2)-a^2\Delta) \\

&= a^2 \Delta^2 - 2a^2 \Delta(r^2+a^2) + a^2(r^2 + a^2)^2 \\

&\quad \quad \quad \quad - a^2(r^2 + a^2)^2 + \Delta(r^2 + a^2)^2 + a^4 \Delta - a^2 \Delta ^2 \\ \\

&= \Delta((r^2 + a^2)^2 - 2a^2(r^2 + a^2) + a^4) \\
&= \Delta r^4
\end{align*}

Likes vanhees71
Damn, ****, dang... you are correct! :oldbiggrin:

• Haha
Likes vanhees71 and ergospherical

Related to Some algebra in Schutz's textbook

1. What is algebra and why is it important in Schutz's textbook?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations. In Schutz's textbook, algebra is important because it is used to represent physical quantities and equations in a concise and systematic way.

2. What are the basic algebraic operations used in Schutz's textbook?

The basic algebraic operations used in Schutz's textbook include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation. These operations are used to manipulate equations and solve for unknown quantities.

3. How does algebra help in understanding physics concepts?

Algebra helps in understanding physics concepts by providing a way to represent and manipulate physical quantities and their relationships. It allows for the simplification of complex equations and the solving of problems involving multiple variables.

4. What are some common algebraic mistakes to avoid in Schutz's textbook?

Some common algebraic mistakes to avoid in Schutz's textbook include forgetting to apply the distributive property, mixing up the order of operations, and making sign errors when simplifying equations.

5. How can I improve my algebra skills for better understanding of Schutz's textbook?

To improve your algebra skills for better understanding of Schutz's textbook, you can practice solving various types of equations, review the basic rules and properties of algebra, and seek help from a tutor or online resources if needed.