Solving z^6=i for arguments between 90 and 180 degrees.

• MHB
  • Thread starter woof123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modulus
In summary: This is the argument.So the equation has a solution if and only if the modulus and argument are both 1.
woof123
(powers of complex numb.):Find the solution of the following equation whose argument is strictly between 90​ degrees and ​​ 180​ degrees: z^6=i?

I don't understand why the modulus of i is 1 and the argument of i can be 90∘ plus any multiple of 360

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you know what "modulus" and "argument" are? The "modulus" of a complex number, z= a+ bi, is defined as [tex]|z|= \sqrt{z\cdot\overline{z}}= \sqrt{a^2+ b^2}[/tex]. If [tex]z= i[/tex] then [tex]\overline{z}= -i[/tex] so that [tex]|i|= \sqrt{i\cdot(-i)}= \sqrt{-(i\cdot i)}= \sqrt{-(-1)}= 1[/tex]. The "argument" of a complex number, z= a+ bi, is defined as [tex]arg(z)= arctan\left(\frac{b}{a}\right)[/tex]. Of course, if z= i, then a= 0 and b= 1 so b/a is not defined. But the tangent function, [tex]tan(\theta)[/tex] goes to infinity as [tex]\theta[/tex] goes to [tex]\pi/2[/tex] so, "by continuity", the argument of i is [tex]pi/2[/tex] (your 90 degrees).

Geometrically, if we represent the complex number, z= x+ yi, as a point in the plane, (x, y), then the "modulus" of z is the distance from (x, y) to the origin (0, 0) (just as |x|, with x a real number is the distance on the real-line from x to 0) which is, of course, [tex]\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/tex]. And the argument is the angle that line makes with the positive x-axis. Since the "imaginary axis" (y axis) is perpendicular to the "real axis" (x axis) that angle is 90 degrees.

woof123 said:
(powers of complex numb.):Find the solution of the following equation whose argument is strictly between 90​ degrees and ​​ 180​ degrees: z^6=i?

I don't understand why the modulus of i is 1 and the argument of i can be 90∘ plus any multiple of 360

Draw an Argand Diagram. Mark in "i" which is the co-ordinate (0, 1). How far away is it from the origin? This is the modulus...

Can you see it makes a 90 degree angle with the positive real axis? Can you see that if you kept traveling around the circle (so added multiples of 360 degrees) you would get back to the same point?

Related to Solving z^6=i for arguments between 90 and 180 degrees.

What is the modulus of i?

The modulus of i is the absolute value or magnitude of the imaginary number i. It is calculated by taking the square root of -1, which is equal to 1.

Why is the modulus of i equal to 1?

The modulus of i is equal to 1 because the square root of -1, which is i, has a magnitude of 1. This is a mathematical convention that allows for consistency in calculations involving imaginary numbers.

How is the modulus of i used in complex number arithmetic?

The modulus of i is used in complex number arithmetic to calculate the absolute value of a complex number. It is also used to find the distance between two complex numbers on a complex plane.

What does the modulus of i represent in terms of geometry?

The modulus of i represents the distance from the origin to the point on a complex plane that corresponds to the imaginary number i. It can also be thought of as the radius of a circle centered at the origin.

Can the modulus of i be greater than 1?

No, the modulus of i cannot be greater than 1. This is because the magnitude of i is fixed at 1, and any number multiplied by 1 will remain the same. Therefore, the modulus of i will always be 1, regardless of the value of the imaginary number itself.