Solving Word Problem - Linear equations

Good job!In summary, I am solving a plenty list of exercises about application of linear equation and have successfully solved 97% of them. However, I need help with two problems. The first problem involves finding the mass of gold in a nugget that also contains quartz. The second problem involves calculating the percentage composition of a cream sample containing water, glycerin, and oil.
paulmdrdo1
I'm solving a plenty list of exercises about application of linear equation. Currently I have solved 97% of them correctly. But there are some items I really need help with.here are they,

1. A nugget of gold and quartz weighs 100 grams. Gold weighs 19.3 g/cm3 (grams per cubic centimeter), quartz weighs 2.6g/cm3, and the nugget weighs 6.4g/cm3. Find the weight of gold in the nugget.

2. A cold cream sample weighing 8.41 grams lost 5.83 grams of moisture on heating to 110°C. The residue on extracting with water and drying lost 1.27 grams of water-soluble glycerin. The balance was oil. Calculate the percentage composition of this cream.

I'll post the other two problems in another thread!

hoping for your quick response and help. thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
paulmdrdo said:
I'm solving a plenty list of exercises about application of linear equation. Currently I have solved 97% of them correctly.
Good job!

paulmdrdo said:
1. A nugget of gold and quartz weighs 100 grams. Gold weighs 19.3 g/cm3 (grams per cubic centimeter), quartz weighs 2.6g/cm3, and the nugget weighs 6.4g/cm3. Find the weight of gold in the nugget.
The terminology in these problems leaves a lot to be desired. A quantity like 6.4g/cm3 is density, and a body cannot "weigh" such quantity. In any case, it is wrong to use the same word "weigh" with quantities of different dimensions, such as 100 g and 19.3 g/cm3. Further, weight is a force and is measured in Newtons; in contrast, mass is measured in grams. So the problem should ask to find the mass of gold.

Anyway, let $x$ be the mass of gold in the nugget. Express the following quanities through $x$.
  1. The mass of quartz in the nugget.
  2. The volume of gold.
  3. The volume of quartz.
  4. The total volume of the nugget.
  5. The denisty (mass / volume) of the nugget.
Equate the last quantity to 6.4g/cm3 to get an equation in $x$.

$100-x =$ mass of quartz in the nugget

$\frac{x}{19.3}=$ volume of gold

$\frac{100-x}{2.6} =$ volume of quartz

$\frac{x}{19.3}+\frac{100-x}{2.6}=6.4$

x= 96 grams mass of gold in the nugget. --- is this correct?

paulmdrdo said:
$\frac{x}{19.3}+\frac{100-x}{2.6}=6.4$
Here the left-hand side is volume, but the right-hand side is density. The correct equation is
\[
100/\left(\frac{x}{19.3}+\frac{100-x}{2.6}\right)=6.4
\]
and the answer is $x=68.6$.

yes. I forgot to change the density of nugget into volume. but this was what I had i mind,

$\frac{x}{19.3}+\frac{100-x}{2.6}=\frac{100}{6.4}$

x=68.6 grams

how about the second problem. please help me to get started. thanks!~

paulmdrdo said:
2. A cold cream sample weighing 8.41 grams lost 5.83 grams of moisture on heating to 110°C. The residue on extracting with water and drying lost 1.27 grams of water-soluble glycerin. The balance was oil. Calculate the percentage composition of this cream.
I am not sure I understand the problem, in particular, the phrase "on extracting with water and drying". The best I understand it is as follows: The cream sample weighing 8.41 grams contains 5.83 grams of water, 1.27 grams of glycerin, and the rest is oil. You need to find the percentage of each of the three components.

How do I start? :confused:

Start by finding the mass of oil in the sample.

my solution,

5.83+1.27+x=8.41

x = 1.31 grams of oil.

5.83/8.41 = 69.3 % water

1.27/8.41 = 15.1% glycerin

1.31/8.41 = 15.6% oil

please check! thanks!

Yes, that's correct.

Related to Solving Word Problem - Linear equations

What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation in which the highest degree of all the variables is 1. It can be represented in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

How do you solve a word problem involving linear equations?

To solve a word problem involving linear equations, first identify the variables and write them down. Then, set up the equation using the given information and solve for the unknown variable. Finally, check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

What is the slope-intercept form of a linear equation?

The slope-intercept form of a linear equation is y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. This form makes it easy to graph the equation and understand the relationship between the variables.

How do you find the slope of a linear equation?

The slope of a linear equation is found by dividing the change in y-values by the change in x-values between any two points on the line. This can also be represented as rise over run (vertical change over horizontal change).

Can linear equations have more than one solution?

Yes, linear equations can have more than one solution. This is called a system of linear equations, where there are multiple equations with multiple variables. The solution to the system is the point where all the equations intersect.