Solving Winch Puller Statics Homework: Find Tension at D

In summary, the problem involves finding the tension required to create a moment of 960N*m about point D in order to straighten the fence post CD. Using the formula for torque, the perpendicular distance from D to the cable is needed. The angle at A should also be considered when calculating the tension.
talaroue

Homework Statement

It is known that a force with a moment of 960N*m about D is required to straighten the fence post CD. If d=2.8 (already replaced), determiethe tension that must be developed in the able of winch puller A o create the reuired moment point D.

Statics3.jpg

Homework Equations

W=Fd
Fx=Fcos(theata)

The Attempt at a Solution

Fx=TAB*sin(17.78)
Fy=TAB*cos(17.78)

MD=TAB*sin(17.78)

960=TAB*sin(17.78)*.898m
TAB=1122 N

Answer is:1224 N

but how?

Physics news on Phys.org
any ideas would be great!

You're looking for the torque, or moment-arm, about point D due to the rope tension. There should be a formula in your book to calculate this, it will involve force, distance, and an angle -- but it's not the equation for work that you quoted.

thats the equation for a moment about D

in my book it even stats that instead of putting the normal units for work I should put N*m.

talaroue said:
thats the equation for a moment about D
Yes, exactly. You need the moment arm, due to the cable, about D. In other words, the perpendicular distance from D to the cable.

talaroue said:
in my book it even stats that instead of putting the normal units for work I should put N*m.
That's right.

Statics3-Work.jpg

I got .898 because that is the height of the pole. Since the force for the x direction makes the system go counterclockwise it is positive. The force in the y direction is non exsistent because it goes along the line of action so if i push straight down on the pole it doesn't move. The angle at A is the same as the angle of the force. So why doesn't my work work?

Draw a line from D to the cable, perpendicular to the cable. That is the distance to use for calculating torque.

Related to Solving Winch Puller Statics Homework: Find Tension at D

1. What is a winch puller?

A winch puller is a mechanical device used for pulling or lifting heavy objects. It consists of a motorized drum or spool with a cable or rope wrapped around it, and a hook or clamp at the end for attaching to the object being pulled.

2. What are winch puller statics?

Winch puller statics refer to the calculation of forces and tensions involved in using a winch puller. This includes analyzing the weight of the object being pulled, the resistance of the surface it is being pulled across, and the tension on the cable or rope.

3. How do you solve for tension in a winch puller?

To solve for tension in a winch puller, you will need to know the weight of the object being pulled, the angle at which the cable is being pulled, and the coefficient of friction of the surface it is being pulled across. You can then use trigonometry and Newton's laws of motion to calculate the tension in the cable.

4. What is the significance of finding tension in a winch puller?

Finding the tension in a winch puller is important for ensuring the safety and efficiency of the pulling operation. If the tension is too high, it can cause damage to the winch or the object being pulled. If the tension is too low, the object may not be pulled with enough force.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving winch puller statics homework?

Some common mistakes when solving winch puller statics homework include not considering the weight of the winch itself, not accounting for the angle of the cable, and using incorrect units in calculations. It is important to carefully review all variables and double check calculations to avoid these mistakes.