Solving Wavefunction of Particle in Square Well Potential

In summary, the wavefunction of a particle of mass m in an infinite one-dimensional square well potential between x=-L/2 and x=+L/2 is psi(x,t) = sqrt(2/3)phi1(x) + sqrt(1/3)phi2(x). The wavefunction can be found using separation of variables, and the initial conditions give you the cn.
Petrucci Rocks
Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask this... it's problem I have with a homework question but I think it's just me being stupid. There must be something I'm missing.
Also I apologise this isn't typed up in proper maths font or anything like I've seen some people doing on this forum... how the hell do you do that?

It says this:

At time t=0, the wavefunction of a particle of mass m in an infinite one-dimensional square well potential between x=-L/2 and x=+L/2 is
psi(x, t=0) = sqrt(2/3)phi1(x) + sqrt(1/3)phi2(x)

where phi1(x) and phi2(x) are the normalized energy eigenfunctions of the ground and first excited states.

then the first part of the question is to write down the wave function psi(x,t) at any time t>0. How do I go about finding this? since it says "write down the wavefunction" I assume it must be something really simple that I should be able to write without actually doing any working but I have no idea how to find the wavefunction for all time having only been given it for one given time. I'm one of those rubbish people who can't figure something out if I haven't been taught how to do it first. The rest of the question is dependent on this first part so it seems quite necessary...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to solve the 1D time dependent Schrodinger equation using the given wave function as the initial condition.

For potentials that don't depend on t we can use
seperation of variables to show:
[tex] \psi = \sum_n c_n \phi_n(x) e^{ -i \frac{E_n}{\hbar} t } [/tex]
The initial conditions give you the cn.
i couldn't see if the latex generated correctly, so here it is in
plane text:
psi = SUM cn phin(x) exp(-i En t / h-bar )

oh.. so you just stick exp(-iEnt/h-bar) after each term and that makes it time dependent?

Related to Solving Wavefunction of Particle in Square Well Potential

What is the "Solving Wavefunction of Particle in Square Well Potential" problem?

The "Solving Wavefunction of Particle in Square Well Potential" problem is a theoretical physics problem that involves finding the wavefunction of a particle that is confined within a square potential well. The potential well acts as a barrier that the particle must overcome, and the wavefunction describes the probability of finding the particle at different positions within the well.

What is a potential well?

A potential well is a region in space where the potential energy is lower than the surrounding areas. In the context of the "Solving Wavefunction of Particle in Square Well Potential" problem, the potential well is a square region with a finite depth that confines the particle within it.

Why is this problem important in physics?

The "Solving Wavefunction of Particle in Square Well Potential" problem is important in physics because it serves as a simple model for understanding the behavior of particles in confined systems. It also helps to illustrate the principles of quantum mechanics and the concept of wave-particle duality.

How is the wavefunction of a particle in a square well potential solved?

The wavefunction of a particle in a square well potential is solved using the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. The solution involves finding the energy eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the particle within the potential well.

What are the boundary conditions for the wavefunction in this problem?

The boundary conditions for the wavefunction in the "Solving Wavefunction of Particle in Square Well Potential" problem are that the wavefunction must be continuous and have a derivative that is also continuous at the boundaries of the potential well. This ensures that the wavefunction is physically meaningful and describes the behavior of the particle accurately.