Solving wave equation with Fourier transform

In summary, the problem involves using Fourier transforms to solve for the motion of an infinitely large stretched string, with given initial conditions and a homogeneous wave equation. The solution involves taking the Fourier transform of the wave equation, using the initial conditions to find the values of the Fourier transform, and then using the inverse Fourier transform to find the final solution.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Use Fourier transforms to calculate the motion of an infinitly large stretched string with initial conditions [itex]u(x,0)=f(x)[/itex] and null initial velocity. The displacements satisfy the homogeneous wave equation.

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{\partial ^2 u }{\partial t^2 }-c\frac{\partial ^2 u }{\partial x^2 }=0[/itex].
[itex]\mathbb{F} (u)=F(\omega )=\int _{-\infty }^{\infty }u(t)e^{i\omega t }dt[/itex].
[itex]\mathbb{F} \left ( \frac{d^nf}{dx^n} \right )=(-i\omega )^n \mathbb{F} (u)[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

So my idea is to take the Fourier transform of the wave equation. I guess I have the choice to take it with respect to either x or t?
Taking it with respect to x, I obtain [itex]\frac{d^2}{dt^2}\mathbb{F} (u)+\underbrace {c\omega ^2}_{\geq 0 } \mathbb{F}(u)=0[/itex].
So that [itex]\mathbb{F} (u)=A\cos (c\omega ^2 t )+B \sin (c\omega ^2 t )[/itex]. Now I don't really know how to proceed.
I don't know if I should take some inverse Fourier transform or use the initial conditions, namely [itex]u(x,0)=f(x)[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial t } (x,0)=0[/itex]. I'm not confident so far in what I've done... could someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question on Fourier transforms and the motion of an infinitely large stretched string. Let me guide you through the steps to find a solution.

First, you are correct in taking the Fourier transform of the wave equation with respect to x. This will give you a new equation in terms of the Fourier transform of u, which we will call U(ω). The equation will be \frac{d^2}{dt^2}U(\omega )+c\omega ^2 U(\omega )=0. This is a simple second-order ordinary differential equation, and its general solution is U(\omega )=A\cos (c\omega t)+B\sin (c\omega t).

Next, we need to use the initial conditions to find the values of A and B. Since we are given that u(x,0)=f(x), we can write U(\omega )=\mathbb{F}(u(x,0))=\mathbb{F}(f(x)). We can then use the Fourier transform property you have mentioned in your post: \mathbb{F}(u(x,0))=F(\omega )=\int _{-\infty }^{\infty }f(x)e^{i\omega x }dx. This gives us a formula for U(\omega ), which we can now substitute into the general solution to find A and B.

Finally, we can use the inverse Fourier transform to find the solution u(x,t). The inverse Fourier transform of U(\omega ) is given by \mathbb{F}^{-1}(U(\omega ))=\frac{1}{2\pi }\int _{-\infty }^{\infty }U(\omega )e^{-i\omega x }d\omega . This will give us the solution u(x,t) in terms of the initial condition f(x).

I hope this helps guide you towards finding the solution. Remember to always check your calculations and make sure your final solution satisfies the original wave equation and initial conditions. Good luck!

Related to Solving wave equation with Fourier transform

1. What is the wave equation and why is it important?

The wave equation is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of waves. It is important because it allows us to understand and predict how waves will behave in different situations, such as in physics, engineering, and signal processing.

2. How is the Fourier transform used to solve the wave equation?

The Fourier transform is a mathematical tool that converts a time-domain signal into its frequency-domain representation. In the context of the wave equation, it allows us to break down a complex wave into simpler sinusoidal components, making it easier to solve and analyze.

3. What are the steps for solving the wave equation using the Fourier transform?

The steps for solving the wave equation using the Fourier transform are as follows:

1. Express the wave equation in its general form.
  2. Apply the Fourier transform to both sides of the equation.
  3. Solve for the transformed function in the frequency domain.
  4. Apply the inverse Fourier transform to the transformed function to obtain the solution in the time domain.
  5. Check the solution for accuracy and adjust if necessary.

4. What are some practical applications of solving the wave equation with Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform is used to solve the wave equation in a variety of fields, including:

• Electromagnetics: To analyze and design antennas, transmission lines, and other electromagnetic systems.
  • Signal processing: To analyze and filter signals in communication systems, audio and image processing, and more.
  • Quantum mechanics: To study the wave-like behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.
  • Structural engineering: To analyze the behavior of structures subjected to dynamic loads.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Fourier transform to solve the wave equation?

While the Fourier transform is a powerful tool for solving the wave equation, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it assumes the wave is infinite in time and space, which may not always be the case in practical applications. Additionally, the Fourier transform may not be suitable for solving certain types of non-linear wave equations.