Solving voltage gain in an non-ideal op amp.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the voltage gain, voltage at the negative input terminal, and input and output resistances of a non-ideal op amp in open loop conditions. The conversation also mentions using the equation A = Aβ/(1+(Rf/Rs)) to find the closed circuit gain, but it is important to first incorporate the non-idealities of the op amp, such as its input and output resistances, into the circuit.
lam58
Hello I'm a bit stuck on this.

The question states that the non ideal op amp (pictured below) in open loop conditions has an input resistance of 400kΩ, an output resistance of 2kΩ and a voltage gain of 500,000.

I then asks to find the voltage gain, the voltage at the negative input terminal and the input and output resistances when the supply voltage is 50mV. So for the first part finding the gain I assumed V at positive terminal (Vp) = 0.

Thus Vo = A(Vp-Vn) => Vn = Vo/A.

Also [tex]\frac{V_{s}-V_{n}}{R_{s}} = \frac{V_{n}-V{o}}{R_f}[/tex]

Then using Vn = Vo/A

[tex]\frac{R_f}{R_s} (V_s + \frac{V_o}{A}) = V_o (\frac{-1}{A}-1)[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{V_s}{V_o} + A = \frac{(-1/A)-1}{R_f/R_s}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{V_o}{V_s} = \frac{(R_f/R_s)}{(-1/A)-1} - \frac{1}{A}[/tex]

Putting in the values given:

gain = [tex]\frac{320k/8k}{(1/500k)-1} - \frac{1}{500,000} = -39.999922[/tex]

From this I got [tex]V_o = - 1.9999961[/tex], [tex]V_n = 49.76v[/tex]

However, here I don't know if the above is correct and how to find the input and output resistances. Any help would be much appreciated. :)

EDIT Just realiased how to find input resistance and output resistances using my first equation.

Is the working above correct though?

Attachments

• jtjt.jpg
    jtjt.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So for the first part finding the gain I assumed V at positive terminal (Vp) = 0.

Thus Vo = A(Vp-Vn) => Vn = Vo/A.
Check this algebra.

The rest of your analysis ignores the non-idealities of the OP-AMP, apart from its finite gain. You have assumed its input impedance is ∞ and that its output impedance is 0Ω, despite being told the figures to use. You must show these as resistances inside the OP-AMP triangle and incorporate them into your analysis.

NascentOxygen said:
Check this algebra.

The rest of your analysis ignores the non-idealities of the OP-AMP, apart from its finite gain. You have assumed its input impedance is ∞ and that its output impedance is 0Ω, despite being told the figures to use. You must show these as resistances inside the OP-AMP triangle and incorporate them into your analysis.

Ok I'm lost now. Do I need to add the internal resistances to Rs and Rf?

A google search will tell you everything you need. Search on "non-ideal op-amp analysis"

I have been.

NascentOxygen said:
A google search will tell you everything you need. Search on "non-ideal op-amp analysis"

To find the closed circuit gain would I do A = Aβ/(1+(Rf/Rs)) which would give me roughly 12.2k?

lam58 said:
To find the closed circuit gain would I do A = Aβ/(1+(Rf/Rs)) which would give me roughly 12.2k?
Not until you have used the model that shows the OP-AMP itself having those given figures for input impedance and output impedance. A google search will quickly find the non-ideal OP-AMP model.

lam58 said:
Hello I'm a bit stuck on this.

EDIT Just realiased how to find input resistance and output resistances using my first equation.

Is the working above correct though?

Not likely, since your v_n is way higher than the power supplies and the offset voltage of the op amp woud have to be equal to v_n !

What you want to do is redraw the circuit with an ideal op amp, then add the input and output resistances to the circuit. This will generate new nodes and more simultaneous equations to solve. Be careful how you place those resistances. When you do that you can send us the new schematic. BTW your image is hard to read.

Last edited:

Related to Solving voltage gain in an non-ideal op amp.

1. What is an op amp and how does it work?

An op amp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic device that amplifies the difference between two input signals. It typically has a high gain, high input impedance, and low output impedance. It works by using a feedback mechanism to maintain its output at a level that is a fraction of the difference between its two input terminals.

2. What is non-ideal behavior in an op amp?

Non-ideal behavior in an op amp refers to deviations from its ideal characteristics, such as infinite gain and infinite input impedance. These deviations can be caused by factors such as input offset voltage, input bias current, and limited bandwidth.

3. How do you calculate voltage gain in a non-ideal op amp?

To calculate voltage gain in a non-ideal op amp, you can use the following formula: A = (Vout/Vin) = (1 + Rf/Rs) / (1 + Rf/Rs + (1 + Aol)Rs). Aol is the open-loop gain of the op amp, Rf is the feedback resistance, and Rs is the source resistance.

4. What are the effects of non-ideal behavior on voltage gain?

Non-ideal behavior can cause the voltage gain of an op amp to deviate from its ideal value. For example, input offset voltage can cause the output voltage to be offset from the expected value, and limited bandwidth can cause a decrease in gain at high frequencies.

5. How can non-ideal behavior be minimized in an op amp?

Non-ideal behavior can be minimized by using precision op amps with low input offset voltage and bias current, as well as selecting appropriate feedback and source resistances. Additionally, using external compensation techniques, such as a compensation capacitor, can improve the stability and performance of the op amp.