Solving Velocity of a Box Off a Ramp

In summary: No, these are vectors. They have directions. You must add them component by component. Consider the component of gravity perpendicular to the ramp... How does it combine with the normal force? What net force do they produce in the direction perpendicular to the ramp? Then what is left of...No, these are vectors. They have directions. You must add them component by component. Consider the component of gravity perpendicular to the ramp... How does it combine with the normal force? What net force do they produce in the direction perpendicular to the ramp? Then what is left of...Fg = 9.8so adding them is 9.8 + 7.84 = 17.64
goonking

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/VwoDF58

Homework Equations

How would I calculate the velocity the box gets off the ramp?

I believe I need to use Vf = Vo + 2 a x

a is gravity so it is -9.8, correct?

but what do i put in as x? 5, which is the length of the ramp, or 4, the base, or 3 the height?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The ramp is fixed and frictionless, right?

goonking said:
a is gravity so it is -9.8, correct?
Is gravity the only force acting on the box? In which direction is it accelerating?

goonking said:
but what do i put in as x? 5, which is the length of the ramp, or 4, the base, or 3 the height?
What is the distance the box travels?

Nathanael said:
The ramp is fixed and frictionless, right?Is gravity the only force acting on the box? In which direction is it accelerating?What is the distance the box travels?
I'm not sure what you mean by fixed, but it is friction less.

the box traveled 5 meters.

goonking said:
I'm not sure what you mean by fixed, but it is friction less.
I mean it can't move.

What direction, what distance, and with what acceleration does the block move?

Nathanael said:
I mean it can't move.

What direction, what distance, and with what acceleration does the block move?

the ramp is fixed.
the box goes up the ramp.

the distance it travels before flying off the ramp is 5 meters.

and I have no idea how to calculate the acceleration. I assume it slows down near the top since it is going against gravity.

goonking said:
the ramp is fixed.
the box goes up the ramp.

the distance it travels before flying off the ramp is 5 meters.

and I have no idea how to calculate the acceleration. I assume it slows down near the top since it is going against gravity.
It slows down the whole way. But at what rate?

Have you tried drawing a free body diagram? What are all the forces acting on the block?

Nathanael said:
It slows down the whole way. But at what rate?

Have you tried drawing a free body diagram? What are all the forces acting on the block?
Since it's frictionless, the only forces are gravity and normal force. correct? also the force from the initial push

goonking said:
Since it's frictionless, the only forces are gravity and normal force. correct? also the force from the initial push
Right, but the force from the initial push is irrelevant. We can "start our clocks" immediately after that force stops; when the block is moving at 12 m/s

What is the size and direction of the normal force? And what is the net force that results from adding gravity and the normal force together?

Nathanael said:
Right, but the force from the initial push is irrelevant. We can "start our clocks" immediately after that force stops; when the block is moving at 12 m/s

What is the size and direction of the normal force? And what is the net force that results from adding gravity and the normal force together?
direction of normal force is perpendicular to the surface.
the size of the normal force is... http://imgur.com/UOZntLH , the red line, correct?

Yes but it's time to get into equations: What is the size of the normal force? More importantly, what is the size of the net force?

Nathanael said:
Yes but it's time to get into equations: What is the size of the normal force? More importantly, what is the size of the net force?
I edited out my posit made no sense, to have Fg, we need the mass of the object, and that isn't given.

Nathanael said:
but it should be cos theta = Fg⊥ to surface divided by Fg. correct?

goonking said:
to have Fg, we need the mass of the object, and that isn't given.
Maybe all hope is not lost, just continue as normal. The mass is hereby an arbitrary "m"

goonking said:
but it should be cos theta = Fg⊥ to surface divided by Fg. correct?
Right, so that gives you |F| = |Fg|cosθ

So what is the sum of the two vectors F+Fg ?

Nathanael said:
Maybe all hope is not lost, just continue as normal. The mass is hereby an arbitrary "m"Right, so that gives you |F| = |Fg|cosθ

So what is the sum of the two vectors F+Fg ?
|F⊥| = |Fg|cosθ= 7.84

Fg = 9.8

so adding them is 9.8 + 7.84 = 17.64

is that correct?

goonking said:
|F⊥| = |Fg|cosθ= 7.84

Fg = 9.8

so adding them is 9.8 + 7.84 = 17.64

is that correct?
No, these are vectors. They have directions. You must add them component by component. Consider the component of gravity perpendicular to the ramp... How does it combine with the normal force? What net force do they produce in the direction perpendicular to the ramp? Then what is left of gravity?

Related to Solving Velocity of a Box Off a Ramp

1. How do I calculate the velocity of a box off a ramp?

The velocity of a box off a ramp can be calculated using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the ramp.

2. What is the relationship between the angle of the ramp and the velocity of the box?

The angle of the ramp has a direct impact on the velocity of the box. As the angle of the ramp increases, the velocity of the box also increases. This is because a steeper ramp allows the box to gain more acceleration due to gravity.

3. Can I use the same formula for calculating velocity on different surfaces?

The formula for calculating velocity of a box off a ramp assumes that the surface of the ramp is frictionless. If the surface is not frictionless, the formula will not be accurate. In this case, the frictional force must be taken into account and the formula will be v = √(2gh - μkgh), where μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction and k is the slope of the ramp.

4. Is there a specific unit for velocity on a ramp?

The unit for velocity on a ramp is the same as for any other velocity measurement, which is meters per second (m/s). However, if the ramp is inclined at an angle, the velocity can also be measured in terms of horizontal distance (m) covered per unit time (s).

5. How does the mass of the box affect its velocity off a ramp?

The mass of the box does not directly affect its velocity off a ramp. However, a heavier box will require more force to be pushed up the ramp and will therefore have a higher initial velocity. In other words, the mass of the box indirectly affects its velocity by affecting the amount of force applied to it.