Solving Train Network Traps: Graph Theory Resources

• Thread starter Ibix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Network
In summary, the conversation discusses a wooden train set with straight tracks, curves, and points. The speaker has noticed a common occurrence of "traps" in the track layout, where certain sections become inaccessible without backing up. They ask for resources on graph theory and the best way to represent the track layout as a mathematical graph. The other speaker suggests a figure-8 layout as a simple alternative without traps, but points out that an odd number of points will always result in a trap. They also mention that a network has a trap if there is a closed loop with all Y parts having the same orientation. The conversation ends with a discussion about finding a better representation for the network as a graph.
Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
My son has a wooden train set. It has straight tracks, curves, and points. I've been [strike]playing with it[/strike]building tracks for him, and came across something odd. If I don't really think about it and just throw something together, it almost always seems to end up that there is a "trap" - a section of track that you cannot get back out of without backing up.

I am not sure of the correct terminology, so I describe a set of points as a Y with two "arms" and one "leg". Entering from the leg you can choose either arm; entering from either arm you must exit via the leg. For an example of a "trap", consider a set of points with one arm of the Y connected to some network, and the other arm connected to the leg. If you enter the points from the network, you are stuck on the loop unless you back up.

I have two questions:
1 - is my experience that networks with traps are more common representative, or am I a klutz?
2 - what do I need to read up on to understand what's going on?

I tried enumeration to answer (1), but the number of possible networks gets large fast. There are 2 with no sets of points (a straight line and a loop), 3 with one set of points (an open Y, a loop with a siding, and a return-to-sender), and I think I counted 17 with two sets of points (although I may have been double counting something - even a taxonomy for networks would be helpful!). My son's set has five sets of points...

I guess the answer to (2) is graph theory - are there any recommended resources? And is there a particular branch (see what I did there?) that I should be particularly looking at?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can represent your network as mathematical graph, but I am not sure about the best way to keep the "direction" information.

Apart from that, there is a simple concept without a trap: a figure-8 layout with two "Y" elements, and no attached trap.

If the number of points is odd, there has to be a trap.

Your network corresponds to a graph, the points to vertices with degree 3, and a trap to a vertex with degree 1. The other rails are the edges. Since sum of the degrees of all vertices of any graph is always even (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handshaking_lemma), there has to be an even number of vertices of odd degree, so If there is an odd number of points, there has to be an odd number of traps as well.

Thank you both.

Willem: yes, but a even number of nodes is not sufficient to avoid traps. For example, take two sets of points and connect the leg to an arm on each, then connect up the free arms. This gives two loops connected by a line. Depending which way you set the train going, one or other loop is a trap.

A network has a trap if and only if there is a closed loop where all Y parts have the same orientation (relative to the loop).

Even without a trap, a network can have larger areas where you still have a choice, but cannot leave this area.

I found a possible representation of a network as graph (using lines as 2 nodes (one for each direction) and Y parts as vertices), but that has some redundancy in its layout, so there might be a better representation.

Related to Solving Train Network Traps: Graph Theory Resources

1. What is graph theory and how is it related to train networks?

Graph theory is a branch of mathematics that studies networks or graphs. It is related to train networks because it provides a mathematical framework for analyzing and solving problems related to transportation systems, including train networks.

2. What are the common traps in train networks and how can graph theory help in solving them?

Common traps in train networks include dead ends, loops, and bottlenecks. Graph theory provides tools and algorithms to identify and analyze these traps, as well as find the most efficient routes and connections to avoid them.

3. Can graph theory be used to optimize train schedules and routes?

Yes, graph theory can be used to optimize train schedules and routes by finding the shortest path between two points, minimizing travel time and maximizing efficiency. It can also take into account factors such as train capacity, frequency, and speed to create an optimal schedule.

4. Are there any real-world examples of graph theory being applied to train networks?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of graph theory being applied to train networks. For instance, the London Underground and New York City Subway systems use graph theory to optimize their routes and schedules. Additionally, many transportation companies use graph theory to plan and manage their train networks.

5. Do I need to be a math expert to use graph theory in solving train network traps?

No, you don't need to be a math expert to use graph theory in solving train network traps. There are many user-friendly software and tools available that can help you apply graph theory concepts and algorithms to analyze and optimize train networks. However, a basic understanding of graph theory and its principles can be beneficial in understanding and interpreting the results.