Solving Torque Unit Issue: kg*m3/s2 ≠ kg*m2/s2

• Thread starter Chad Jensen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation is about the calculation of torque and its units, as well as the correction to a formula sheet that mistakenly used the variable "a" instead of "alpha" for angular acceleration. It is clarified that radians (rad) are considered dimensionless and can be eliminated in the calculations, leaving the units of 1/s^2 for angular acceleration.
Chad Jensen

Homework Statement

Not really a homework question but a question about units that I can't figure out.

Homework Equations

Torque units = N*m
N=kg*m/s2
I units = kg*m2
a units = m/s2
Now my formula sheet says T=Ia

The Attempt at a Solution

torque=kg*m/s2*m=kg*m2/s2
Ia=kg*m2/s2*m/s2=kg*m3/s2
kg*m3/s2 in not equal to kg*m2/s2 What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Chad Jensen said:
Now my formula sheet says T=Ia
It should say ##\tau = I \alpha## where ##\alpha## is the angular acceleration.

Likes Chad Jensen
Oh ok. That makes more sense. Thank you so, it is rad/s^2 which rads are considered dimensionless so they can be eliminated with no need to cross multiply or subtract to make them go away. You are then left with 1/s^2. Thank you I knew I was missing something simple. I looked at the formula sheet and it was alpha and not a

Related to Solving Torque Unit Issue: kg*m3/s2 ≠ kg*m2/s2

1. What is torque and why is it important for scientific calculations?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is important in scientific calculations because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects in rotational systems.

2. What is the standard unit for torque and how is it calculated?

The standard unit for torque is Newton-meters (N*m). It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the perpendicular distance between the force and the axis of rotation.

3. Why is kg*m3/s2 not equal to kg*m2/s2?

Both units are used to measure torque, but they are not equal because they represent different concepts. kg*m3/s2 is the unit for torque in three-dimensional systems, while kg*m2/s2 is the unit for torque in two-dimensional systems. It is important to use the correct unit depending on the type of system being analyzed.

4. How can I convert between kg*m3/s2 and kg*m2/s2?

To convert between these two units, you can use the formula: kg*m3/s2 = (kg*m2/s2) / (meter). This takes into account the additional dimension (meter) in the first unit and converts it to the unit of the second dimension.

5. What are some common mistakes when dealing with torque unit conversions?

One common mistake is forgetting to include the additional dimension when converting between two and three-dimensional units. Another mistake is using the incorrect unit for the type of system being analyzed. It is also important to pay attention to the order of operations when converting between units to avoid errors.