Solving the Work Needed to Move a Bowling Ball via Conservation of Momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bowling ball hanging from a cable and being pushed horizontally, and the individual is trying to figure out the amount of work done on the ball during its displacement. They consider using the concepts of conservation of momentum and potential energy, but are unsure of how to apply them to the problem. They also mention discussing the problem with their professor and getting suggestions for how to approach it. Ultimately, they come up with a plausible solution involving the change in height of the ball and the work-energy theorem.
reallybanana
I'm having a little bit of trouble trying to figure out how to solve this problem. I know it has to do with conservation of momentum, but I can't seem to get my first step on the problem.

The problem is as follows:

A bowling ball with a mass of 5.5kg hangs from the end of a 5.0m cable, initially such that the came is vertical. You push horizontally on the ball with a varying force to move it 2.0m to the side. During the ball's displacement how much work do you do on the ball? Assume that the ball is motionless before and after you push on it.

I have an idea, but I'm unsure if it's towards the right direction. Because we have a distance covered, we can some how figure out a velocity and then figure out our work or energy placed into the ball. I know the ball has no energy at all whatsoever because it is also assumed that the ball is on rest on the ground (asked my professor about this as well). Because there is no energy initially, we have to give it energy, and since we are assume that no energy is lost in the form of heat or what ever, our end energy is equal to the same energy we put in and vice versa. My only problem is how to get there in this problem.

I was thinking that since the ball is on a dedicated 5.0m cable, that if I push the ball 2.0m, the ball has to travel in an arc, however my professor told me that's wrong too. I'm quite stuck on this problem. If anyone could not give me the answer, but give me a hint as what to do instead, that would be great.

Thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
Working at the problem again, I was looking at different arcs how it relates to the 2.0m mentioned in the problem.

Doing some work, we know that I pushed the ball 2.0m in the x direction, and not the ball a total of 2m. Going from my initial idea dealing with arcs, 2.0m in the x direction would give us a change in height of about sqrt(21) or .417. Now placing this as the distance for potential energy mgy would give me about 22.5 J of work. Does this seem plasuable?

reallybanana said:
Working at the problem again, I was looking at different arcs how it relates to the 2.0m mentioned in the problem.

Doing some work, we know that I pushed the ball 2.0m in the x direction, and not the ball a total of 2m. Going from my initial idea dealing with arcs, 2.0m in the x direction would give us a change in height of about sqrt(21) or .417. Now placing this as the distance for potential energy mgy would give me about 22.5 J of work. Does this seem plasuable?
Yes, excellent 'work'. Since there is no change in the kinetic energy of the system, and since the tension force does no work, then the work done by you must equal the negative of the work done by gravity, since the net work done by all forces must be zero, per the work-energy theorem.

Related to Solving the Work Needed to Move a Bowling Ball via Conservation of Momentum

1. What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in the absence of external forces, the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.

2. How does the conservation of momentum apply to moving a bowling ball?

In order to move a bowling ball, you must apply a force to it. According to Newton's third law of motion, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when a force is applied to the bowling ball, an equal and opposite force is applied to the object pushing the bowling ball. This exchange of forces follows the principle of conservation of momentum.

3. What is the equation for solving the work needed to move a bowling ball using conservation of momentum?

The equation for solving this problem is F*d = m*v, where F is the applied force, d is the distance the bowling ball is moved, m is the mass of the bowling ball, and v is the velocity of the bowling ball.

4. How does the mass and velocity of the bowling ball affect the work needed to move it?

The mass and velocity of the bowling ball both play a role in determining the amount of work needed to move it. The greater the mass of the bowling ball, the more force is needed to move it. Similarly, the higher the velocity of the bowling ball, the more work is needed to accelerate it to that speed.

5. What are some real-world applications of the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in many real-world situations, such as collisions between objects, rocket propulsion, and the movement of vehicles on a road. It is also important in sports, such as bowling, where the conservation of momentum helps determine the motion of the bowling ball after it is thrown. Additionally, the conservation of momentum is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles in the field of quantum mechanics.