Solving the Wave Equation for c and Examining Potential/Kinetic Energy Equality

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find a solution for a wave equation describing the motion of an infinite string.
bon

Homework Statement

I'm given that the motion of an infinite string is described by the wave equation:

(let D be partial d)

D^2 y /Dx^2 - p/T D^2/Dt^2 = 0

I'm asked for what value of c is Ae^[-(x-ct)^2] a solution (where A is constant)

Then I am asked to show that the potential and KE of the wave packet are equal..

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am guessing the value of c is root(T/p)?since the solution is a function of (x-ct) so this corresponds to D'Alembert..But then PE and KE don't seem equal...

KE = integral from -infinity to + infinity of 1/2 p A^2 e^[4c^2(x-ct)] while PE = integral from - inf to + inf of 1/2 p A^2 c^2 e^[-(4x-ct)]..and these don't seem equal..

any help?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas on this?
To me it doesn't even seem to obey the wave equation - though it is of the form (x-ct) which corresponds to the d'alembert solution.

yxx = Ae^-2 whereas ytt = Ae^(-2c^2)

Any ideas? Thanks

Hi
As you say one solution is [tex]c=\sqrt{T/p}[/tex] but the kinetic energy is given by
[tex]E_k=p\frac{1}{2}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}(\frac{dy}{dt})^2 dx[/tex] and the potential energy by [tex]E_p=T\frac{1}{2}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}(\frac{dy}{dx})^2 dx[/tex].

I hope this helps.

But if you look at my post above..it doesn't seem that c = root T/p will satisfy the equation..

Also i can't get hte KE and PE to be equal...

Okay, you have done something wrong in the calculations of [tex]\frac{d^2 y}{dx^2}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{d^2 y}{dt^2} [/tex]. I have
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=-2A(x-ct)e^{-(x-ct)^2}[/tex],
[tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}=-2A(1-2(x-ct)^2)e^{-(x-ct)^2}[/tex],
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=2Ac(x-ct)e^{-(x-ct)^2}[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{d^2}{dt^2}=-2Ac^2(1-2(x-ct)^2)e^{-(x-ct)^2}[/tex].
Thus for [tex]c=\pm \sqrt{T/p}[/tex] is
[tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}-\frac{p}{T}\frac{d^2 y}{dt^2}=0[/tex]
satisfied. With the expressions above it's also easily seen that [tex]E_k=E_p[/tex].

Oh i see where I went wrong.. Thank you so much for your help! :)

Related to Solving the Wave Equation for c and Examining Potential/Kinetic Energy Equality

1. What is the wave equation and how is it used in physics?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of waves. It is commonly used in physics to model and predict the movement and interactions of various types of waves, such as sound waves, light waves, and electromagnetic waves.

2. How is the wave equation solved for the constant c?

The wave equation is typically solved using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or the method of characteristics. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the constant c and solve for its value.

3. Why is it important to examine potential and kinetic energy equality in the context of the wave equation?

In the wave equation, potential energy refers to the energy stored in the system due to its position or configuration, while kinetic energy refers to the energy of motion. By examining the equality of these energies, we can understand how the system is transferring and transforming energy, and how it behaves over time.

4. What factors can affect the equality of potential and kinetic energy in a wave equation?

The equality of potential and kinetic energy in a wave equation can be affected by various factors, such as the amplitude and frequency of the wave, the properties of the medium through which the wave is passing, and any external forces acting on the system.

5. How is the concept of energy conservation related to solving the wave equation?

The concept of energy conservation is closely related to solving the wave equation. In physics, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. By examining the equality of potential and kinetic energy in the wave equation, we can ensure that energy is conserved and that our mathematical model accurately reflects the behavior of the system.