Solving the Roller Coaster Speed Problem: A Max Speed of 20

In summary, the problem involves a roller coaster car moving along a track with the trajectory given by r = At(xhat) + A(t^3 - 6t^2)(y hat). The speed of the car is derived using the derivative of the trajectory equations and the magnitude formula. The maximum value of A allowed by safety regulations is found by setting the derivative of the speed equal to 0 and solving for A. The maximum speed is found to be vmax = A * sqrt [145].
theowne

Homework Statement

A car in a roller coaster moves along a track that consists of a sequence of ups and downs. Let the x-axis be parallel to the ground and the positive y-axis point upward. In the time interval from t=0 to t=4 s, the trajectory of the car along a certain section of the track is given by

r = At(xhat) + A(t^3 - 6t^2)(y hat)

where A is a positive dimensionless constant.

A) Derive a general expression for the speed v of the car.

The roller coaster is designed according to safety regulations that prohibit the speed of the car from exceeding 20. Find the maximum value of A allowed by these regulations.

Homework Equations

r = At(xhat) + A(t^3 - 6t^2)(y hat)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I can do the first part properly. I found the derivative of the xhat equation and the y hat equation, and then found the magnitude of speed using c^2 = a^2 + b^2 of the derivatives, which comes out to

v = sqrt [A^2 + (A (3t^2 - 12t))^2]

or simplified

v = A * sqrt[1 + 9t^2 * (t-4)^2]

THe program tells me this answer is correct.

I don't know how the do the last part of the equation at all. A is an unknown, but t is a variable as well...I tried using a hint in the program but it just tels me the answer should be vmax = A * sqrt [145]

I thought maybe, you find the derivative of v(x) and check when it's zero, then you know it's maximum velocity. But in the answer given, the derivative of v(x) is supposed to have v in the denominator, and I don't see how they got that answer...and then what? Where did the t go to get that final v max?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

theowne said:
The roller coaster is designed according to safety regulations that prohibit the speed of the car from exceeding 20. Find the maximum value of A allowed by these regulations.

v = A * √[1 + 9t^2 * (t-4)^2]

I don't know how the do the last part of the equation at all. A is an unknown, but t is a variable as well...I tried using a hint in the program but it just tels me the answer should be vmax = A * sqrt [145]

I thought maybe, you find the derivative of v(x) and check when it's zero, then you know it's maximum velocity. But in the answer given, the derivative of v(x) is supposed to have v in the denominator, and I don't see how they got that answer...and then what? Where did the t go to get that final v max?

Hi theowne! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: you're only asked for 0≤t≤4 …

the maximum may be at dv/dt = 0, or it may be at 0 or 4 :wink:

EDIT: hmm … just noticed :redface: … you can see where the maximum is without any hard work …

v is a maximum when t(t - 4) is a maximum, isn't it? :smile:

Last edited:

I would first like to commend you on your attempt at solving the problem and finding the general expression for the speed of the car. Your approach seems to be correct and I agree with your answer for the first part of the question.

For the second part, we need to find the maximum value of A that satisfies the safety regulations, which state that the speed of the car should not exceed 20. To do this, we can set the expression for speed, v, equal to 20 and solve for A. This will give us the maximum value of A that satisfies the given condition.

So, let's set A * sqrt[1 + 9t^2 * (t-4)^2] = 20 and solve for A. This will give us A = 20/sqrt[1 + 9t^2 * (t-4)^2]. We can then plug in the value of t to get the maximum value of A allowed by the regulations. In this case, t = 4, so we get A = 20/sqrt[145]. This gives us the final answer of vmax = A * sqrt[145] = 20, as given in the hint.

I hope this helps you understand the problem and how to approach it. Keep up the good work!

Related to Solving the Roller Coaster Speed Problem: A Max Speed of 20

1. How does the maximum speed of 20 mph affect the roller coaster's performance?

The maximum speed of 20 mph greatly impacts the overall performance of the roller coaster. It ensures that the coaster remains safe for riders while still providing an exciting and thrilling experience. It also allows for smoother transitions and reduces the risk of accidents or injuries.

2. What factors contribute to determining the maximum speed of a roller coaster?

The maximum speed of a roller coaster is determined by various factors, such as the design and layout of the track, the weight and distribution of the train, and the force of gravity. Additionally, factors like friction, air resistance, and the angle of incline also play a role in determining the maximum speed.

3. How do engineers and scientists calculate the maximum speed of a roller coaster?

Engineers and scientists use mathematical equations and computer simulations to calculate the maximum speed of a roller coaster. They take into account various factors such as the track layout, train weight, and forces acting on the train to determine the optimal speed for the coaster to safely navigate the track.

4. Can the maximum speed of a roller coaster be adjusted or changed?

Yes, the maximum speed of a roller coaster can be adjusted or changed by making modifications to the track, train, or other components. However, this must be done carefully and with extensive testing to ensure the safety and performance of the coaster is not compromised.

5. What safety measures are in place to ensure the maximum speed of 20 mph is maintained?

Roller coasters have various safety features in place to ensure that the maximum speed of 20 mph is maintained. These include emergency brakes, speed governors, and sensors that monitor the speed of the train. Regular maintenance and inspections are also conducted to ensure the safe operation of the coaster.