Solving the Properties of Iron Ions Fe2+ and Fe3+

In summary, iron ions (Fe2+ and Fe3+) have different properties than their neutral state due to the loss of electrons. In a mass spectrometer, they would travel at different speeds and have different radii, with Fe2+ being faster and having a larger radius. This can be proven using the formula m= qBr/2V, where both B and r are squared. However, it is generally not recommended to multiply ionize atoms in a mass spectrometer.
bdraycott
[SOLVED] Iron ions

I am curious about the properties of iron ions fe2+ and fe3+. As they are accelerated in a mass spectrometer, which would travel faster and have the largest radius. I understand that they have lost electrons and have a marginal loss in mass, as well I understand that a positively charged ion will attempt to return to a neutral state. However how do I prove it with the following:

m= qBr/2V, understanding that both B and r are squared.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mass spectrometer strictly speaking measure mass/charge ratios - so an Fe2+ ion would behave the same as a Al+ ion with half the mass.
You generally try not to multiply ionize atoms to avoid this!

(My wife is the MS expert but she's at work)

thanks

Related to Solving the Properties of Iron Ions Fe2+ and Fe3+

1. What are the properties of iron ions Fe2+ and Fe3+?

The properties of iron ions Fe2+ and Fe3+ vary slightly due to their different electronic configurations. However, some general properties include a high melting point, magnetic behavior, and the ability to form various chemical compounds.

2. How are the properties of iron ions Fe2+ and Fe3+ different?

The main difference between Fe2+ and Fe3+ lies in their number of electrons. Fe2+ has two fewer electrons than Fe3+, which affects their reactivity and ability to bond with other elements.

3. How can the properties of iron ions Fe2+ and Fe3+ be determined?

The properties of iron ions Fe2+ and Fe3+ can be determined through various analytical techniques, such as X-ray crystallography, spectroscopy, and magnetic measurements.

4. What are the common uses of iron ions Fe2+ and Fe3+?

Iron ions Fe2+ and Fe3+ are commonly used in industrial processes, such as steel production, as well as in the production of pigments, fertilizers, and water treatment chemicals.

5. How do iron ions Fe2+ and Fe3+ play a role in biological systems?

Iron ions Fe2+ and Fe3+ are essential for many biological processes, including oxygen transport in the blood, enzyme catalysis, and DNA synthesis. They also play a crucial role in cellular respiration and immune function.