Solving the Hydrogen Atom Wavefunction Puzzle

In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionYou need a factor of r^2 that comes from the dx dy dz in spherical coords.That's not it - he's got the factor of r^2.Now, I am very confused. I did not have the factor of r^2. But I only need that when I am integrating over dtheta dphi.Isn't the normalization condition\int_{r=0}^{\infty}|R_{1,0}|^2dr = 1Only for a 1D problem.Obviously that's wrong but why?Are you implying that it should really be \int_{
ehrenfest
[SOLVED] hydrogen atom

Homework Statement

My book says that

[tex]R_{1,0}(r) = 2(1/a_0)^{3/2} e^{-r/a_0}[/tex]

is a normalized wavefunction. But if you integrate R_{1,0}(r)^2 over r from 0 to infinity, you do not get 1. What's wrong here?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You need a factor of r^2 that comes from the dx dy dz in spherical coords.

That's not it - he's got the factor of r^2. LATE EDIT: No, you're right. I misread his (r)^2 as the r^2 from the volume element.

Ehrenfest: You should not get 1 for that integral. Write down the (general) normalization condition.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
That's not it - he's got the factor of r^2.

Ehrenfest: You should not get 1 for that integral. Write down the (general) normalization condition.

Now, I am very confused. I did not have the factor of r^2. But I only need that when I am integrating over dtheta dphi.

Isn't the normalization condition

[tex]\int_{r=0}^{\infty}|R_{1,0}|^2dr = 1[/tex]

Obviously that's wrong but why?

Are you implying that it should really be

[tex]\int_{all space}|\Psi|^2drd\thetad\phi = 1[/tex]

But [tex] \Psi = R(r)Y_{l,m}(\theta,\phi)[/tex] and the spherical harmonics are already normalized. So the normalization condition is still [tex]\int_{r=0}^{\infty}|R_{1,0}(r)|^2dr = 1[/tex], right?

Last edited:
I edited my last post before I saw yours but here it is againAre you implying that it should really be

But [tex] \Psi = R(r)Y_{l,m}(\theta,\phi)[/tex] and the spherical harmonics are already normalized. So the normalization condition is still [tex]\int_{r=0}^{\infty}|R_{1,0}(r)|^2dr = 1[/tex], right?

ehrenfest said:
Now, I am very confused. I did not have the factor of r^2. But I only need that when I am integrating over dtheta dphi.

Isn't the normalization condition

[tex]\int_{r=0}^{\infty}|R_{1,0}|^2dr = 1[/tex]
Only for a 1D problem.

Obviously that's wrong but why?

Are you implying that it should really be

That's not it either.

But [tex] \Psi = R(r)Y_{l,m}(\theta,\phi)[/tex] and the spherical harmonics are already normalized.
And that's important. Over what variables are the spherical harmonics normalized? Write down this expression.

Next:

[tex]\int d\Omega |\Psi(r,\theta ,\phi )|^2 = 1 [/tex]

How do you write the volume element [itex]d\Omega[/itex] in spherical co-ordinates?

Last edited:
What do you get? You said in your first post that you did not get 1, what did u get?

What happens if you insert r^2 and then integrate?

I have now checked, and I think you are missing the r^2

[tex] R(r) = \frac{u(r)}{r} [/tex] where u(r) solves the radial shrödringer eq.

And now the nowmalization becomes:

[tex]\int_{r=0}^{\infty}|R(r)|^2r^2dr = \int_{r=0}^{\infty}|u(r)|^2dr =1[/tex]

EDIT: Gokul43201 saw that he made a misstake, now three of us are telling you that you missed the r^2 from the volume element of integration =)

I think I see the problem.

We know that

[tex] \int_{all space}\Psi(r,\phi,\theta)dr r^2 sin(\theta) d\theta d\phi = 1[/tex]

[tex]\Psi(r,\phi,\theta) = R(r)Y(\theta,\phi)[/tex]

So, [tex]\int_{\Omega}Y(\theta,\phi)d\Omega = \int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi} Y(\theta,\phi)d\phi d\theta = 1[/tex].

Wait, is the first equality in the last equation true, or do I need a factor of sine in there?

Last edited:
need or need.. you are forgetting to square the wavefunction..

the only problem was that you forgot was the r^2 from the volume element of integration.

[tex] \int Y^*Y sin(\theta )d\theta d\phi = 1 [/tex] is the normalization condition for the angular part.

Here is what my last post should have been:

We know that

[tex] \int_{all space}\Psi(r,\phi,\theta)*\Psi(r,\phi,\theta)dr r^2 sin(\theta) d\theta d\phi = 1[/tex]

[tex]\Psi(r,\phi,\theta) = R(r)Y(\theta,\phi)[/tex]

So, [tex]\int_{\Omega}Y(\theta,\phi)*Y(\theta,\phi)d\Omega = \int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi} Y(\theta,\phi)*Y(\theta,\phi) sin\theta d\phi d\theta = 1[/tex].

I have no idea why the first equality in the last equation needs that sin \theta? I have solids angles, I have no idea what they mean any more?

Never mind. I see. Thanks all. :)

EDIT: Do not even read this post. It is all wrong. I am not confused any more.

Now I am really confused. Apparently the normalization condition is really

[tex]4\pi\int_{r=0}^{\infty}|R(r)|^2r^2dr = 1[/tex]

If you try this for the wavefunction I have in my first post, you need that factor of 4\pi.

Which means that [tex] \int \int Y^*Y sin(\theta )d\theta d\phi = 1 [/tex] was not correct!

But that makes no sense and I am so confused.

Last edited:
[tex] d\Omega = sin\theta d\phi d\theta [/tex]

=)

Last edited:

Related to Solving the Hydrogen Atom Wavefunction Puzzle

1. What is the Hydrogen Atom Wavefunction Puzzle?

The Hydrogen Atom Wavefunction Puzzle refers to the challenge of accurately predicting the behavior of electrons in a hydrogen atom using the Schrödinger equation. This equation describes the wave-like nature of particles and is used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of finding an electron in a specific location around the nucleus of the hydrogen atom.

2. Why is solving the Hydrogen Atom Wavefunction Puzzle important?

Solving this puzzle is important because it allows us to understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and accurately predict the behavior of electrons in other atoms and molecules. It also has practical applications in fields such as materials science, chemistry, and electronics.

3. What is the current status of solving the Hydrogen Atom Wavefunction Puzzle?

The Hydrogen Atom Wavefunction Puzzle has been solved for the ground state of the hydrogen atom, which is the state of lowest energy. However, it is still an active area of research to solve for higher energy states and more complex atoms and molecules.

4. What challenges are involved in solving the Hydrogen Atom Wavefunction Puzzle?

One of the main challenges is that the Schrödinger equation is difficult to solve analytically for systems with more than one electron. This requires the use of approximation methods and advanced computational techniques. Additionally, quantum mechanics is a complex and abstract theory, making it challenging to fully understand and apply.

5. What impact will solving the Hydrogen Atom Wavefunction Puzzle have?

Solving this puzzle will have a significant impact on our understanding of the microscopic world and could lead to new technologies and advancements in fields such as quantum computing and energy production. It will also allow us to accurately model and predict the behavior of matter at a fundamental level, leading to further advancements in various scientific fields.