Solving the GRE Practice Problem: 4 Conditions Equivalent to Each Other

• Thread starter blinktx411
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gre
In summary, A says that if the determinant is nonzero, then there is a unique solution to any homogeneous or non-homogeneous system.
blinktx411

Homework Statement

This is a GRE practice problem I was reading through that confused me.

36. Let M be a 5x5 real matrix. Exactly four of the following five conditions on M are equivalent to each other.
Which of the five conditions is equivalent to NONE of the other four?
(A) For any two distinct column vectors u and v of M, the set
{u,v} is linearly independent.
(B) The homogeneous system Mx= 0 has only the trivial solution.
(C) The system of equations Mx=b has a unique solution for each real 5x1 column vector b.
(D) The determinant of M is nonzero.
(E) There exists a 5x5 real matrix N such that NM is the 5x5 identity matrix.

Homework Equations

IMT

The Attempt at a Solution

I was under the impression that all of these were equivalent via IMT. Am I misreading something? Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's A. Why? Consider the following matrix:
Code:
1 0 0 0 1 
0 1 0 0 1 
0 0 1 0 1 
0 0 0 1 1 
0 0 0 0 0

Take any two columsn. They are linearly independent.

Now take b = (0,0,0,0,1). There is no solution to Mx=b.

Savvy?

Yea, I see it now. One of the columns has to be a linear combination of all the others if not invertible, but not a linear combination of just one. Thanks for the response, I feel a little silly in overlooking that!

if the determinant is nonzero, that means there is a unique solution to any homogeneous or non-homogeneous system. And also you can't take the inverse of a matrix with a zero determinant. But A says something different. The linear independence of the columns don't really say anything about the determinant. Only if any two of the columns (or rows) are linearly dependent, you can say that the determinant is zero. But independence doesn't make any conclusions about the determinant (as seen in the example)

"Only if any two of the columns (or rows) are linearly dependent, you can say that the determinant is zero. But independence doesn't make any conclusions about the determinant (as seen in the example)"

Strictly speaking, pairwise linear independence for the columns or rows still isn't enough. You need all vectors in the column space to be linearly independent (not pairwise... but all together). This means that the solution to:

(a1)v1 + (a2)v2 + ... + (an) vn = 0

Must have only the trivial solution a1 = a2 = ... = an = 0.

This, however, is not equivalent to the pairwise linear independence of column vectors, which states that

(a1)v1 + (a2)v2 = 0 imples a1 = a2 = 0 for all v1, v2. My example demonstrates this.

Related to Solving the GRE Practice Problem: 4 Conditions Equivalent to Each Other

1. What is the purpose of solving GRE practice problem with 4 conditions equivalent to each other?

The purpose of solving this type of GRE practice problem is to improve problem-solving skills and to develop a better understanding of how different conditions can be represented and connected in a single problem. It also helps in identifying patterns and strategies for approaching similar types of problems on the GRE.

2. How can I determine if 4 conditions in a GRE practice problem are equivalent to each other?

To determine if 4 conditions in a GRE practice problem are equivalent, you can try simplifying each condition and see if they all lead to the same conclusion. You can also try substituting different values for the variables in each condition and see if they still hold true. Additionally, you can use logic and reasoning to determine if the conditions are logically equivalent.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a GRE practice problem with 4 equivalent conditions?

One common mistake to avoid is assuming that all 4 conditions are equivalent without properly analyzing and understanding each one. Another mistake is using incorrect logic or reasoning to determine equivalence. It is also important to check if all the conditions are logically consistent and do not contradict each other.

4. Can solving GRE practice problems with 4 equivalent conditions help in other areas of the test?

Yes, solving these types of problems can improve critical thinking skills and help in identifying patterns and connections between different concepts. This can be beneficial in other sections of the GRE such as the verbal and quantitative reasoning sections.

5. Are there any specific strategies for solving GRE practice problems with 4 equivalent conditions?

One strategy is to carefully read and analyze each condition to understand its relationship with the others. Another strategy is to simplify and manipulate each condition to see if they are logically equivalent. It can also be helpful to make a diagram or table to visually represent the connections between the conditions.