Solving the D3x D3p Invariant Puzzle

• Thread starter Vrbic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Invariant
In summary: You mean for momentum?I would assume that the momentum was p in the x direction and 0 in y and z. Otherwise you need to do the lorentz transformations for a 3d velocity.
Vrbic

Homework Statement

Hello, I have probably quit easy task, but I don't know how show that d3x d3p is a Lorentz invariant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I mean I have to show that d3x d3p = d3x' d3p', where ' marks other system. I can prove ds2=ds'2, but I am not sure what with p?
Assume boost in x-way:
x'=g(x-vt) => dx'=g(dx-vdt) , where g=1/(1-(v/c)2)...is it right?
what about p?

Vrbic said:
x'=g(x-vt) => dx'=g(dx-vdt) , where g=1/(1-(v/c)2)...is it right?
what about p?
yes that's right. What does p=? You've got dx right, can you write dp in terms of dx? (or rather right p in terms of dx)? If you can, then you should be able to handle the situation.

Remember, you're not trying to show that ##d^3(xp)## is invariant, you're trying to show that ##d^3x*d^3p## is invariant, which is sufficiently easier than the former.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
yes that's right. What does p=? You've got dx right, can you write dp in terms of dx? (or rather right p in terms of dx)? If you can, then you should be able to handle the situation.

Remember, you're not trying to show that ##d^3(xp)## is invariant, you're trying to show that ##d^3x*d^3p## is invariant, which is sufficiently easier than the former.
p is momentum, well p=mv. [itex]v=\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex]. [itex]t'=g(t-\frac{V}{c^2}x)[/itex]->[itex]dt'=g(dt-\frac{V}{c^2}dx)[/itex], where V is movement between o and o' and is constant. So can I say [itex]v'=\frac{dx'}{dt'}=\frac{g(dx-Vdt)}{g(dt-\frac{V}{c^2}dx)}[/itex]?

No reason to carry the t through. You're trying to show that ##\frac{d^3x}{dt^3}\frac{d^3p}{dt^3} = \frac{d^3x'}{dt'^3}\frac{d^3p'}{dt'^3} \rightarrow d^3xd^3p=d^3x'd^3p'##
But yes, that's the right idea.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
No reason to carry the t through. You're trying to show that ##\frac{d^3x}{dt^3}\frac{d^3p}{dt^3} = \frac{d^3x'}{dt'^3}\frac{d^3p'}{dt'^3} \rightarrow d^3xd^3p=d^3x'd^3p'##
But yes, that's the right idea.
Can I prove it just for one dimension and suppose the others will be same? It means prove dx'dp'=dxdp

Vrbic said:
Can I prove it just for one dimension and suppose the others will be same? It means prove dx'dp'=dxdp
You mean for momentum?
I would assume that the momentum was p in the x direction and 0 in y and z. Otherwise you need to do the lorentz transformations for a 3d velocity. The standard transforms you see online (i think) tend to be for a velocity in the x direction.

Related to Solving the D3x D3p Invariant Puzzle

1. What is the D3x D3p invariant puzzle?

The D3x D3p invariant puzzle is a mathematical problem that involves finding the values of two variables, D3x and D3p, that satisfy a specific equation known as the D3x D3p invariant. This puzzle is often used in particle physics and is a key component in understanding the behavior of certain particles.

2. Why is solving the D3x D3p invariant puzzle important?

The solution to the D3x D3p invariant puzzle can provide valuable insights into the underlying principles of particle physics and help us better understand the behavior of fundamental particles. It can also have practical applications in areas such as data analysis and pattern recognition.

3. What is the current progress in solving the D3x D3p invariant puzzle?

The D3x D3p invariant puzzle is still an active area of research and there is no definitive solution yet. However, scientists have made significant progress in developing algorithms and methods to solve the puzzle, and new approaches are constantly being explored.

4. What are some challenges in solving the D3x D3p invariant puzzle?

One of the main challenges in solving the D3x D3p invariant puzzle is the complexity of the equation itself, which involves multiple variables and can have infinitely many solutions. Additionally, the puzzle requires a deep understanding of advanced mathematical concepts and techniques, making it a difficult problem to tackle.

5. How can solving the D3x D3p invariant puzzle benefit society?

The D3x D3p invariant puzzle may seem like a purely theoretical problem, but its solution can have practical applications in various fields such as data analysis, pattern recognition, and machine learning. It can also contribute to our overall understanding of the universe and the laws that govern it.