Solving the 1D Heat Equation with Given Parameters

In summary, the problem is that I am not sure what this is asking me, so how can I find u(x) if I have only u(0)= 0, k =1, u(L) = 0? But if I solve the equation for u(x) using the boundary conditions, I get: u(x)=-\frac{x^3}{6}+Ax+B.
jc2009
Problem:IF there is heat radiation within the rod of length L , then the 1 dimensional heat equation might take the form
u_t = ku_xx + F(x,t)

Find u(x) if F = x , k = 1 , , u(0)=0 , u(L) = 0

the problem is that i am not sure what this is asking me , how can i find u(x) if i have only u(0)= 0 , k =1 , u(L) = 0 ,and F = x

this problem becomes just an ordinary differential equation but still i don't fully understand or how to proceed from there

any hints would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
have you tried green's function method?

jc2009 said:
Problem:IF there is heat radiation within the rod of length L , then the 1 dimensional heat equation might take the form
u_t = ku_xx + F(x,t)

Find u(x) if F = x , k = 1 , , u(0)=0 , u(L) = 0

the problem is that i am not sure what this is asking me , how can i find u(x) if i have only u(0)= 0 , k =1 , u(L) = 0 ,and F = x

this problem becomes just an ordinary differential equation but still i don't fully understand or how to proceed from there

any hints would be appreciated

I assume that a steady-state solution is required, therefore the time derivative vanishes in the pde and you get the following equation to solve:
[tex]\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}+x=0[/tex]
which has the solution:
[tex]u(x)=-\frac{x^3}{6}+Ax+B[/tex]
Using the boundary conditions, you get:
[tex]u(x)=\frac{x}{6}\cdot \left[L^2-x^2\right][/tex]
Hope this is what has been asked for.

coomast

coomast said:
I assume that a steady-state solution is required, therefore the time derivative vanishes in the pde and you get the following equation to solve:
[tex]\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}+x=0[/tex]
which has the solution:
[tex]u(x)=-\frac{x^3}{6}+Ax+B[/tex]
Using the boundary conditions, you get:
[tex]u(x)=\frac{x}{6}\cdot \left[L^2-x^2\right][/tex]
Hope this is what has been asked for.

coomast

THank you so much

Related to Solving the 1D Heat Equation with Given Parameters

1. What is the 1D heat equation and why is it important?

The 1D heat equation is a mathematical model used to describe the distribution of heat in a one-dimensional system over time. It is important because it can be applied to many real-world problems, such as predicting the temperature distribution in a metal rod or the cooling of a cup of coffee.

2. How do you solve the 1D heat equation?

To solve the 1D heat equation, you need to know the initial temperature distribution, the boundary conditions, and the specific parameters of the system such as thermal conductivity and heat capacity. Then, you can use mathematical methods, such as separation of variables or finite difference methods, to solve the equation and obtain the temperature distribution at different points in time.

3. What are the key parameters in the 1D heat equation?

The key parameters in the 1D heat equation include the thermal conductivity, which describes the material's ability to conduct heat, and the heat capacity, which is a measure of the material's ability to store heat. Other important parameters include the initial temperature distribution, boundary conditions, and the size and shape of the system.

4. How do you determine the boundary conditions for solving the 1D heat equation?

The boundary conditions for the 1D heat equation can be determined by considering the physical properties of the system. These can include the temperature at the boundaries, the rate of heat flow at the boundaries, or the insulation properties of the boundaries. It is important to choose appropriate boundary conditions to accurately model the system.

5. What are some applications of solving the 1D heat equation?

The 1D heat equation can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It can be used to predict the temperature distribution in various systems, such as buildings, electronic devices, and chemical reactions. It is also used in modeling heat transfer in the Earth's atmosphere and oceans, and in designing heating and cooling systems. Additionally, it has applications in understanding the behavior of materials under different thermal conditions.