Solving System of Equations Homework: Trig & mv^2/L

In summary: This means that you can multiply the first equation by ##c## and the second equation by ##s## and add them to eliminate the trigonometric functions. This is exactly what @SammyS suggested.In summary, to solve this physics problem with two equations and two unknowns, you can simplify the equations by assigning variables for the trigonometric functions and apply the method of elimination to solve for the unknowns.
REVIANNA

Homework Statement

this is actually one of the physics problems and I have boiled down the numerical to two equations.
But I have trouble manipulating equations

Homework Equations

Tsin(theta)=Fcos(theta)-mg
and
Tcos(theta)=(mv^2/Lcos(theta))-Fsin(theta)

F and T are the two unknowns

The Attempt at a Solution

I brought the terms involving m to one side and the trig functions to the other
and tried to add the the equations . But it only gets more complicated as in one eq F has a coefficient of cos(theta)+sin(theta) and in the other cos(theta)-sin(theta).same goes for coefficients of T in both equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
The form is like:
$$T\sin\theta-F\cos\theta=...$$
$$T\cos\theta+F\sin\theta=...$$
Multiplying the both ##\sin\theta## and ##\cos\theta##, and the other way around, which may help.

tommyxu3 said:
the other way around,
I did not understand this

F(cos(θ))^2 sin(θ) +Tsin^2(θ) cos(θ)
F sin^2(θ) cos(θ) -T cos^2(θ) sin(θ)

what should I do?

$$T\sin\theta-F\cos\theta=...(1)$$
$$T\cos\theta+F\sin\theta=...(2)$$
What I meant are ##(1)\cdot\sin\theta+(2)\cdot\cos\theta## and ##(1)\cdot\cos\theta-(2)\cdot\sin\theta.## Can you get anything from them?

Likes REVIANNA
It worked !
How did you think about it?
And THanks

REVIANNA said:
I did not understand this
tommyxu3 said:
The form is like:
$$T\sin\theta-F\cos\theta=...$$
$$T\cos\theta+F\sin\theta=...$$
Multiplying the both ##\sin\theta## and ##\cos\theta##, and the other way around, which may help.
I hope that tommyxu3 did not literally mean what he wrote.

The form he gave was good.
Here's what to do from that point.

Multiply the first equation by ##\ \sin(\theta)\ ## and the second equation by ##\ \cos(\theta) \ ##, then add the equations to eliminate F . It's essentially the method of elimination. Then solve for T .

Last edited:
REVIANNA said:

Homework Statement

this is actually one of the physics problems and I have boiled down the numerical to two equations.
But I have trouble manipulating equations

Homework Equations

Tsin(theta)=Fcos(theta)-mg
and
Tcos(theta)=(mv^2/Lcos(theta))-Fsin(theta)

F and T are the two unknowns

The Attempt at a Solution

I brought the terms involving m to one side and the trig functions to the other
and tried to add the the equations . But it only gets more complicated as in one eq F has a coefficient of cos(theta)+sin(theta) and in the other cos(theta)-sin(theta).same goes for coefficients of T in both equations.

It is easier if you simplify the symbolics: let ##s = \sin(\theta), c = \cos(\theta), A = mg, B = \frac{mv^2}{L} \cos(\theta)##. Then your equations read as
[tex] sT = cF - A\\
cT = -sF + B [/tex]
or
[tex] \begin{array}{rcl}
cF - sT &=& A\\
sF + cT &=& B
\end{array} [/tex]
If you know about matrices and matrix inverion you can write down the solution immediately, because in matrix form the system reads as
[tex] \pmatrix{c & s \\-s & c} \pmatrix{F\\T} = \pmatrix{A\\B} [/tex]
A crucial simplification is that ##c^2 + s^2 = 1##, because these constants are the cosine and sine of the same angle.

Likes REVIANNA

Related to Solving System of Equations Homework: Trig & mv^2/L

1. How do I solve systems of equations involving trigonometric functions?

To solve systems of equations involving trigonometric functions, you can use the substitution method or the elimination method. First, isolate one variable in one equation and substitute its value into the other equation. Then, solve for the remaining variable. Alternatively, you can eliminate a variable by using trigonometric identities or by multiplying one or both equations by a common factor.

2. What is the significance of the variable "v" in this problem?

The variable "v" represents the velocity of an object. In physics, velocity is defined as the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. In this problem, "v" is used to represent the velocity of an object in motion.

3. How does the variable "L" come into play in this problem?

The variable "L" represents the length of the string or the radius of the circle in the problem. This variable is important because it affects the magnitude of the centripetal force and ultimately the solution to the system of equations.

4. Can you provide an example of solving a system of equations involving trigonometric functions?

Sure, let's say we have the following system of equations:
sinx + cosy = 2
2sinx + 3cosy = 7

To solve this, we can use the substitution method. First, isolate "sinx" in the first equation by subtracting "cosy" from both sides: sinx = 2 - cosy. Then, substitute this value into the second equation: 2(2-cosy) + 3cosy = 7. Simplify to get cosy = 1. Substitute this value back into the first equation to solve for "sinx".

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving systems of equations involving trigonometric functions?

Some common mistakes to avoid include: not properly isolating or substituting values, forgetting to use trigonometric identities, and making calculation errors. It is important to carefully follow the steps and check your work to ensure an accurate solution.