Solving Sound Intensity with 2 Shut-Off Engines

In summary, the conversation discusses the sound intensity of a plane with three equally noisy engines at 120 dB and the resulting intensity if two of the engines are shut off. The equation used to solve for the intensity is B (in dB) = log I/Io, and the final intensity is calculated to be 1 W/m2 for three engines. However, when two engines are shut off, the resulting intensity is not 0.33 W/m2 per engine as expected, but rather 116 dB. The conversation suggests that a better understanding of the concept of decibel may help to solve this discrepancy.
physicsnewby

Homework Statement

A person is a certain distance away from a plane with three equally noisy engines at 120 dB. What is the sound intensity if two of the engines are shut off?

Homework Equations

B (in dB) = log I/Io

The Attempt at a Solution

using this equation:
120 dB = 10 log I/Io
10^12 = 10 log (I/10^-12 W/m2)
I = (10^12)(10^-12)
I = 1 W/m2

So, intensity for three engines is 1 W/m2. If two engines turned off, then I'm pretty sure you don't divide the answer by three to get 0.33 W/m2 per engine because the answer is 116. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
On the second line in your solution, where did 1012 come from?

Sorry, this should read:

120 dB = 10 log (I/10^-12 W/m2)
10^12 = I \(10^-12)
I = (10^12)(10^-12)
I = 1 W/m2

any ideas?

I think you need to better understand the meaning of decibel. This might help: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/db.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solving Sound Intensity with 2 Shut-Off Engines

1. How does the presence of 2 shut-off engines affect sound intensity?

The presence of 2 shut-off engines can significantly reduce sound intensity. This is because when engines are shut off, they stop producing noise, resulting in a decrease in overall sound intensity.

2. What is the relationship between sound intensity and the number of shut-off engines?

The relationship between sound intensity and the number of shut-off engines is inversely proportional. This means that as the number of shut-off engines increases, the sound intensity decreases.

3. How can we measure sound intensity in the presence of 2 shut-off engines?

Sound intensity can be measured using a sound level meter in decibels (dB). The meter should be placed at a specific distance from the engines and the readings can be compared before and after shutting off the engines to determine the change in sound intensity.

4. Can shutting off engines completely eliminate sound intensity?

No, shutting off engines cannot completely eliminate sound intensity. There are other sources of sound in the environment, such as traffic or natural sounds, that may still contribute to the overall sound intensity.

5. Are there any potential negative impacts of shutting off engines to reduce sound intensity?

Yes, there may be potential negative impacts of shutting off engines, such as decreased efficiency or increased emissions when the engines are turned back on. It is important to consider these factors when implementing strategies to reduce sound intensity.