Solving Simultaneous Inequalities

In summary: I think you will find that my solution has fewer steps, fewer quadratic equations to solve, and is more easily remembered.Consider the boundary 3cosQ + 4sinQ=2. Your approach, as I understand it, rewrites this as 3cosQ = -4sinQ+2, then squares to produce 9cos2Q = 16sin2Q-16sinQ+4. You then rearrange this into a quadratic in sinQ.But -3cosQ + 4sinQ=2 leads to the same quadratic, so half the solutions to the quadratic are solutions to that equation. You then have to weed those out.If you are unconvinced, write out the complete solutions using
EternusVia

Homework Statement

[/B]
I am trying to solve the simultaneous inequalities (1) and (2) shown in the following image. The solution is provided, but I'm not sure how they solved for it.
http://[ATTACH=full]199971[/ATTACH]
[h2]Homework Equations[/h2]
N/A

[h2]The Attempt at a Solution[/h2]
[/B]
I tried to solve this set of simultaneous inequalities by multiplying (1) by 4, multiplying (2) by -5, and adding them together. My thought was that this would cancel the sin(θ) component and allow me to solve for the range of allowable angles. It did not seem to work.

How does one go about solving simultaneous inequalities?

Attachments

• GBhewFB.png
    GBhewFB.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 225
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
EternusVia said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
I am trying to solve the simultaneous inequalities (1) and (2) shown in the following image. The solution is provided, but I'm not sure how they solved for it.
http://[ATTACH=full]199972[/ATTACH]
[h2]Homework Equations[/h2]
N/A

[h2]The Attempt at a Solution[/h2]
[/B]
I tried to solve this set of simultaneous inequalities by multiplying (1) by 4, multiplying (2) by -5, and adding them together. My thought was that this would cancel the sin(θ) component and allow me to solve for the range of allowable angles. It did not seem to work.

How does one go about solving simultaneous inequalities?[/QUOTE]

Write ##3 \cos \theta + 4 \sin \theta## as ##A \sin(\theta + \phi)## for known values of ##A,\phi##. This is done using trigonometric identities ##A \sin(\theta + \phi) = A \sin(\theta) \cos(\phi) + A \cos(\theta) \sin(\phi)##, so you need to solve ##A \cos \phi = 4, A \sin \phi = 3##. That is easy enough to do if you use additional trigonometric identities.

Anyway, from the two equations you will get ##a_1 < \theta < a_2## and ##b_1 < \theta + \phi < b_2##, so then you just need to figure out the common ##\theta##-region.

Attachments

• GBhewFB.png
    GBhewFB.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 246
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes EternusVia
Hi Ray,

That is a clever idea. I used it to find part of the solution but couldn't get the rest. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

##3cos(\theta) + 4sin(\theta) = Asin(\theta + \phi)##
##Asin(\theta + \phi) = Asin(\theta)cos(\phi) + Acos(\theta)sin(\phi)##
##Acos(\phi) = 4## and ##Asin(\phi) = 3##

Thus ##tan(\phi) = 3/4## and ##\phi = 36.87, A = 5##

Now we can write inequality (2) and substitute the new expression:

##-4 < 3cos(\theta) + 4sin(\theta) < 2##
##-4 < 5sin(\theta + 36.87) < 2##

Solving, we have ##270 < \theta < 346.71##. But from inequality (1), it must also be that ##336 < \theta < 53.13##. So one of the solutions is ##336 < \theta < 346.71##.

But how do we get the other solution?

*Sorry for the edits

EternusVia said:
Hi Ray,

That is a clever idea. I used it to find part of the solution but couldn't get the rest. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

##3cos(\theta) + 4sin(\theta) = Asin(\theta + \phi)##
##Asin(\theta + \phi) = Asin(\theta)cos(\phi) + Acos(\theta)sin(\phi)##
##Acos(\phi) = 4## and ##Asin(\phi) = 3##

Thus ##tan(\phi) = 3/4## and ##\phi = 36.87, A = 5##

Now we can write inequality (2) and substitute the new expression:

##-4 < 3cos(\theta) + 4sin(\theta) < 2##
##-4 < 5sin(\theta + 36.87) < 2##

Solving, we have ##270 < \theta < 346.71##. But from inequality (1), it must also be that ##336 < \theta < 53.13##. So one of the solutions is ##336 < \theta < 346.71##.

But how do we get the other solution?

*Sorry for the edits
Remember that sin(x)=sin(180-x).

There's much more easier way which is easy to apply and known by many.
-4<3cosQ + 4sinQ<2
take anyone of inequality and have anyone cos or sin to other side and square. when you change one function sin²θ + cos²θ = 1 then you get a quadratic equation. Solve for it you will get intervals where θ lies. Also solve for second inequality in this way and find common intervals which satisfy both equations.
Though this method has some steps more, but it's easy to understand, remember and is very versatile. It could be applied where even there's no trigonometry.

Shehbaj singh said:
There's much more easier way which is easy to apply and known by many.
-4<3cosQ + 4sinQ<2
take anyone of inequality and have anyone cos or sin to other side and square. when you change one function sin²θ + cos²θ = 1 then you get a quadratic equation. Solve for it you will get intervals where θ lies. Also solve for second inequality in this way and find common intervals which satisfy both equations.
Though this method has some steps more, but it's easy to understand, remember and is very versatile. It could be applied where even there's no trigonometry.
It is not easier, it's more work.
Every time you square an equation you introduce extra (spurious) solutions which have to be weeded out later.

haruspex said:
It is not easier, it's more work.
Every time you square an equation you introduce extra (spurious) solutions which have to be weeded out later.
It will tell you exact intervals. Now if intervals of θ are not joining, there may be two intervals where in between is gap, it will also tell about it. Though, it's some long you can never forget it and it's applicable to many equations. And every solution from it is required and there are no "extra solutions " as you said.QUADRATIC NEVER LIE

Shehbaj singh said:
It will tell you exact intervals. Now if intervals of θ are not joining, there may be two intervals where in between is gap, it will also tell about it. Though, it's some long you can never forget it and it's applicable to many equations. And every solution from it is required and there are no "extra solutions " as you said.QUADRATIC NEVER LIE
Consider the boundary 3cosQ + 4sinQ=2. Your approach, as I understand it, rewrites this as 3cosQ = -4sinQ+2, then squares to produce 9cos2Q = 16sin2Q-16sinQ+4. You then rearrange this into a quadratic in sinQ.
But -3cosQ + 4sinQ=2 leads to the same quadratic, so half the solutions to the quadratic are solutions to that equation. You then have to weed those out.

If you are unconvinced, write out the complete solutions using both methods and post them.

Related to Solving Simultaneous Inequalities

What are simultaneous inequalities?

Simultaneous inequalities are a set of two or more inequalities that are connected by the same variable. They can be solved simultaneously to find the values of the variable that satisfy all of the inequalities.

How do you solve simultaneous inequalities?

To solve simultaneous inequalities, you first graph each inequality on the same coordinate plane. The solution to the system of inequalities is the shaded region where all of the graphs overlap. You can also use algebraic methods, such as substitution or elimination, to solve the system of inequalities.

What is the difference between solving simultaneous equations and inequalities?

Solving simultaneous equations involves finding the values of variables that satisfy both equations. In contrast, solving simultaneous inequalities involves finding the values of variables that satisfy all of the inequalities in a system.

Can simultaneous inequalities have infinite solutions?

Yes, it is possible for simultaneous inequalities to have infinite solutions. This occurs when the inequalities overlap and create a shaded region that extends infinitely in one or more directions.

How can simultaneous inequalities be used in real life?

Simultaneous inequalities can be used to solve real-world problems involving multiple constraints. For example, they can be used in economics to determine the optimal production levels for a company based on limited resources and market demand.