Solving Separable Variables: Need Assistance!

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation $y'=(x+y)^2$ using the substitution $z=ax+by+c$ to transform it into an equation with separable variables. The hint given is to use the integral $\int \frac{1}{(1+u^2)}du = tan^{-1} u+c$. The summary also includes a clarification on how to use the substitution and a step-by-step explanation of the process.
shorty1
I have a question that is stumping me. I'd be grateful on some assistance.

Show that the substitutions $z= ax + by + c$ changes $y' = f(ax + by + c)$ into an equation with separable variables. Hence, solve the equation $y' = (x+y)^2$.

(hint: $\int \frac{1}{(1 + u^2)}du = tan^{-1} u+c$)

I thought i could do this, but my working takes me nowhere near to the hint. Therefore I'm lost. Help please!:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
If $t=x+y\implies \dfrac{dt}{dx}=1+\dfrac{dy}{dx}$ so the ODE becomes $\dfrac{dt}{dx}-1=t^2,$ which is separable.

Thanks,

But how does that tie into the 1st part which says to show the substitutions z=ax + by + c changes y' = f(ax + by + c) into an equation with separable variables...??
Markov said:
If $t=x+y\implies \dfrac{dt}{dx}=1+\dfrac{dy}{dx}$ so the ODE becomes $\dfrac{dt}{dx}-1=t^2,$ which is separable.

shorty said:
Thanks,

But how does that tie into the 1st part which says to show the substitutions z=ax + by + c changes y' = f(ax + by + c) into an equation with separable variables...??

Can you see that $ \displaystyle x + y $ is of the form $ \displaystyle ax + by + c $?

yes. but how am i using the z substitution to show anything..?

Prove It said:
Can you see that $ \displaystyle x + y $ is of the form $ \displaystyle ax + by + c $?

shorty said:
I have a question that is stumping me. I'd be grateful on some assistance.

Show that the substitutions $z= ax + by + c$ changes $y' = f(ax + by + c)$ into an equation with separable variables. Hence, solve the equation $y' = (x+y)^2$.

(hint: $\int \frac{1}{(1 + u^2)}du = tan^{-1} u+c$)

I thought i could do this, but my working takes me nowhere near to the hint. Therefore I'm lost. Help please!:confused:

put \(z=ax+by+c\) then:

\[\large \frac{dz}{dx}=a+by' \]

so:

\[ \large z'-a=bf(z)\]

which is what Markov was trying to point you in the direction of.

CB

Last edited:
shorty said:
yes. but how am i using the z substitution to show anything..?

So if you let $ \displaystyle z = x + y $, then

\[ \displaystyle \begin{align*} y &= z - x \\ \frac{dy}{dx} &= \frac{dz}{dx} - 1 \end{align*} \]

So substitute this into the DE...

\[ \displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{dy}{dx} &= (x + y)^2 \\ \frac{dz}{dx} - 1 &= z^2 \\ \frac{dz}{dx} &= 1 + z^2 \\ \frac{1}{1 + z^2}\,\frac{dz}{dx} &= 1 \end{align*}\]

So clearly the equation is separable.

This is the exact same method Markov showed you, just using z instead of t...

Related to Solving Separable Variables: Need Assistance!

1. What are separable variables?

Separable variables are a type of differential equation where the variables can be separated and solved independently. This means that the equation can be written as a product of two functions, one for each variable, and then solved using integration.

2. Why is it important to solve separable variables?

Solving separable variables is important because it allows us to solve many types of differential equations that arise in various fields of science and engineering. It also helps us to model and understand real-life situations and make predictions.

3. What is the general process for solving separable variables?

The general process for solving separable variables involves separating the variables and expressing the equation as a product of two functions, one for each variable. Then, using integration, we can find the solutions for each function and combine them to get the final solution.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving separable variables?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving separable variables include not properly separating the variables, forgetting to add the constant of integration, and making errors during integration. It's important to double-check your work and be careful with algebraic manipulations.

5. Are there any tips for solving separable variables more efficiently?

One tip for solving separable variables more efficiently is to always check for any common factors that can be factored out before separating the variables. Additionally, it's useful to practice and become familiar with different integration techniques, such as substitution or using trigonometric identities, to make the process smoother.