Solving Separable Equations - Get Help Now

• Thread starter roymkim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Separable
In summary, the problem is to solve the equation dy/dx = (ay+b)/(cy+d) and through various methods of division and integration, the solution is x= (c/a)y + [(ad-bc)/(a^2)]*ln|ay+b|+k; a≠0, ay+b≠0. The use of c!=0 indicates that c cannot equal 0 in order to divide by it.
roymkim
Hi guys,

I was working on this problem regarding separable equations and could not solve it..

dy/dx = ay+b/cy+d

My work:
I reorganized the equation to become dy(cy+d/ay+b) = dx
integrating both sides, you get the integral of (cy+d/ay+b) and dx which is a constant k.
I'm pretty sure that the cy+d/ay+b integration requires long division...but I forgot how to do long division.

I would really appreciate help with this problem~

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you mean
dy/dx = (ay+b)/(cy+d)
You do not need long division just write

ay+b=[a(cy+d)+(bc-ad)]/c for c!=0

(ay+b)/(cy+d)=(ay+b)/d for c=0

The answer to the problem comes out to be

x= (c/a)y + [(ad-bc)/(a^2)]*ln|ay+b|+k; a≠0, ay+b≠0

Can you explain more about how you reorganized the equation to become
ay+b=[a(cy+d)+(bc-ad)]/c for c!=0

(ay+b)/(cy+d)=(ay+b)/d for c=0

what do you mean by c! and what do you mean by c?

c!= 0 is "computer talk" for "c not equal to 0".
As to what lurflurf "means by c", I presume the same thing you did- the coefficient of y in the denominator!

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{ay+ b}{cy+ d}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{cy+ d}{ay+ b}dy= dx[/tex]

Personally, I think I would use "long division" here:
[tex]\frac{cy+ d}{ay+ b}= \frac{c}{a}+ \frac{ad- bc}{a}\frac{1}{ay+ b}[/tex]

And that should be easy to integrate.
(let u= ay+ b)

yes c is the c you used in dy/dx = (ay+b)/(cy+d). c!=0 means c is not zero, that allows us to divide by it. All the ways to divide do the same things, maybe review them to see this. There are synthetic division, long division, division by inspection, and rearranging the equation like I did.

Related to Solving Separable Equations - Get Help Now

What are separable equations?

Separable equations are a type of differential equation where the independent variable and the dependent variable can be separated into two separate functions. This allows for the equation to be solved by integrating each side separately.

What is the process for solving separable equations?

The process for solving separable equations involves separating the variables, integrating each side, and then solving for the constant of integration. This will result in the general solution, which can then be used to find a particular solution by plugging in initial conditions.

What are some common strategies for solving separable equations?

Some common strategies for solving separable equations include factoring, substitution, and separation of variables. It is important to also check for any potential trigonometric or logarithmic identities that can be used to simplify the equation before integrating.

How do I know if an equation is separable?

An equation is separable if it can be written in the form f(y)dy = g(x)dx, where f(y) and g(x) are functions of y and x respectively. If an equation is not in this form, it may not be separable and a different method may be needed to solve it.

What are some real-world applications of separable equations?

Separable equations can be used to model a variety of real-world phenomena such as population growth, radioactive decay, and Newton's law of cooling. They are also commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to describe various systems and processes.