Solving Scalar Product: Figure Drawing for (AC - AB) * AB = 0

In summary,The student is trying to find the direction of an AC-AB vector, but is having trouble. He asks for help and AGNuke provides a solution.
H4NS
Hello!

I am preparing for an exam, I didn't really had much time for, and it would be nice of you if you could help me!

Homework Statement

Draw a figure, so that the following is true: (AC - AB) * AB = 0

2. The attempt at a solution
Since I had to miss some classes, I don't really have an idea on how to start.
I don't know if AC*AB=AB² is teh right way to go

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the dot product is zero, the vectors are at 90° angle with each other. (considering non-zero vectors). Let us draw a vector AB. Now draw AC vector such that AC's projection on AB is equal and opposite to AB. Meaning, if you consider any angle θ between AB and AC, then |AC|cosθ=|AB|. Then the resultant of AC-AB will be |AC|sinθ, perpendicular to AB, thus their dot product is zero.

AGNuke said:
Since the dot product is zero, the vectors are at 90° angle with each other. (considering non-zero vectors). Let us draw a vector AB. Now draw AC vector such that AC's projection on AB is equal and opposite to AB. Meaning, if you consider any angle θ between AB and AC, then |AC|cosθ=|AB|. Then the resultant of AC-AB will be |AC|sinθ, perpendicular to AB, thus their dot product is zero.
Thanks a lot for your input, but could you please expand this a little more, I don't quite understand

H4NS said:
Hello!

I am preparing for an exam, I didn't really had much time for, and it would be nice of you if you could help me!

Homework Statement

Draw a figure, so that the following is true: (AC - AB) * AB = 0

2. The attempt at a solution
Since I had to miss some classes, I don't really have an idea on how to start.
I don't know if AC*AB=AB² is teh right way to go

Thanks in advance
I assume that you need the scalar product, [itex]\displaystyle (\vec{\text{AC}}-\vec{\text{AB}})\cdot\vec{\text{AB}}\ .[/itex]

That's the scalar product of two vectors, [itex]\displaystyle \vec{\text{AC}}-\vec{\text{AB}}[/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle \vec{\text{AB}}\ .[/itex]

For this product to be zero, either the two vectors must be perpendicular to each other, as AGNuke pointed out, or else the magnitude of one of them must be zero.

SammyS said:
I assume that you need the scalar product, [itex]\displaystyle (\vec{\text{AC}}-\vec{\text{AB}})\cdot\vec{\text{AB}}\ .[/itex]

That's the scalar product of two vectors, [itex]\displaystyle \vec{\text{AC}}-\vec{\text{AB}}[/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle \vec{\text{AB}}\ .[/itex]

For this product to be zero, either the two vectors must be perpendicular to each other, as AGNuke pointed out, or else the magnitude of one of them must be zero.

OK, I assume the figure might be a 90° triangle, with AB and AC being the cathetes.

Let's suppose A: (1|1), B: (2|1) and C: (1|3), my question is, how do I get a vector out of this data?

H4NS said:
OK, I assume the figure might be a 90° triangle, with AB and AC being the cathetes.

Let's suppose A: (1|1), B: (2|1) and C: (1|3), my question is, how do I get a vector out of this data?

In my experience, usually the line segments joining sides are the vectors.

A vector is the length of the side, with a directional arrow. Let's see, You may understand North-South-East-West Direction and displacement vector. Now I will explain how to get your AC-AB vector.

Suppose you rose in the morning for a morning walk. You know the sun is in the east, so you walked 10 steps towards the east. That is your vector AB, 10 steps in East.

Now if you were to walk 10 steps in west instead of east, you inverted your vector, your new vector is -AB, 10 steps in west OR -10 steps in East.

Now you walk 10√2 steps (Mathematically?) in North-East direction, where you find yourself? You actually find yourself 10 steps North of your initial position. That was you AC vector, 10√2 steps in North-East.

Now adding the two vectors, AC and -AB, you get AC-AB = 10 steps in North, Perpendicular to AB vector. So their Dot Product is zero.

Also, you must know that AC vector can be broken into a sum of perpendicular vector. One vector defines its motion in East and other in North, and by chance, North and East directions are perpendicular. Since North-East direction makes 45° angle with East, AC=10√2×cos45° East + 10√2×sin45° North, which is equal to AC=10 steps East + 10 steps North.

If you want to make your life easier, try learning vector notation, unit vectors, projection.

Related to Solving Scalar Product: Figure Drawing for (AC - AB) * AB = 0

1. What is a scalar product?

A scalar product, also known as a dot product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar value. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

2. What is the significance of the scalar product in figure drawing?

In figure drawing, the scalar product is used to determine the angle between two lines or vectors. This can be helpful in creating accurate proportions and angles in a drawing.

3. How is the scalar product used to solve for (AC - AB) * AB = 0?

The scalar product can be used to find the angle between two vectors by setting the dot product equal to zero. This means that the two vectors are perpendicular to each other, creating a right angle. In this case, it is used to find the angle between (AC - AB) and AB, which will help with accurately drawing the figure.

4. What do AC and AB represent in the equation (AC - AB) * AB = 0?

AC and AB represent two vectors in the figure drawing. AC represents the vector from point A to point C, while AB represents the vector from point A to point B.

5. Are there any other applications of the scalar product in science?

Yes, the scalar product has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields of science. It is used to calculate work, energy, and power in physics, and in determining the direction of forces in engineering problems.