Solving Rolling Motion of Embedded Cylinder on Ramp

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of rolling motion and how it relates to a large hollow cylinder with a smaller solid cylinder inside. When the cylinder is placed on a ramp, the extra mass causes it to oscillate back and forth, resulting in rotation. The question is posed about how to calculate the time it takes for the cylinder to reach a specific angle, and integrating the function of angular acceleration is suggested as a possible solution. The formula \psi_t^2=\psi_0^2+2\alpha\theta is also mentioned as a way to calculate the average angular acceleration.
kendro
Hi. I have a problem about rolling motion. Suppose that I have a large hollow cylinder. A smaller solid cylinder is embedded inside the larger hollow cylinder.
http://www.geocities.com/andre_pradhana/cylinderkendro2.JPG
When I positioned the cylinder on a flat ramp like the picture below:
http://www.geocities.com/andre_pradhana/cylinderkendro3.JPG
The cylinder will start oscillating back and forth as the weight of the extra mass provide a torque, causing the cylinder to rotate. My question is, suppose that the value of [tex]\theta[/tex] initially was [tex]\pi/4[/tex] before the cylinder is released and start rolling, how can I calculate the time it takes before the [tex]\theta[/tex] reaches a value of [tex]\pi[/tex] (when the extra mass is directly above the point P)?

If I figured out the function of angular acceleration in terms of angular displacement, what will I get when I integrate the function of angular acceleration in respect to angular displacement, since the value of angular acceleration is always changing as [tex]\theta[/tex] changes.

I know that there’s a formula relating [tex]\alpha\times\theta[/tex]:
[tex]\psi_t^2=\psi_0^2+2\alpha\theta[/tex]

Does it mean that if I integrate:
[tex]\int_ {\pi/4}^{\pi} \alpha d\theta[/tex]
Will I get the value of [tex]0.5\times\psi_t^2[/tex] when [tex]\theta[/tex] is [tex]\pi[/tex]? (with the assumption that the value of [tex]\psi_0[/tex] initially is 0 rad/s)

If that’s true, then I can figured out the average angular acceleration to calculate the time it takes for the extra mass to travel from [tex]\pi/4[/tex] to [tex]\pi[/tex]. Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Otherwise, can anyone tell me the best way to calculate the time it takes for the extra mass to travel from \pi/4 to \pi?

I can provide some insight on solving this problem. First, it is important to understand the concept of rolling motion. Rolling motion is a combination of rotation and translation, where an object moves without slipping. In this case, the large hollow cylinder is rotating and translating down the ramp while the smaller solid cylinder is rotating within it.

To calculate the time it takes for the \theta to reach a value of \pi, we need to consider the forces acting on the system. The main force is gravity, which is causing the cylinder to roll down the ramp. The mass of the embedded cylinder also contributes to the torque and affects the motion.

To start, we can use the torque equation, \tau=I\alpha, where \tau is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and \alpha is the angular acceleration. We can also use the equation for rotational kinetic energy, K=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2, where K is the kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and \omega is the angular velocity.

Using these equations, we can derive the equation for angular acceleration in terms of angular displacement, \theta. This equation will involve the mass of the embedded cylinder, the mass of the large hollow cylinder, and the radius of the cylinders.

Next, we can integrate this equation from the initial \theta value of \pi/4 to the final value of \pi to get the average angular acceleration. This average acceleration can then be used to calculate the time it takes for the cylinder to reach \pi radians.

In summary, to calculate the time it takes for the embedded cylinder to reach \pi radians, we need to consider the forces and use equations for torque and rotational kinetic energy. By integrating the equation for angular acceleration and using the average value, we can determine the time it takes for the cylinder to reach \pi radians.

Related to Solving Rolling Motion of Embedded Cylinder on Ramp

1. How do you define rolling motion?

Rolling motion is a type of motion in which a body or object moves along a surface while simultaneously rotating about its own axis.

2. What factors affect the rolling motion of an embedded cylinder on a ramp?

The factors that affect the rolling motion of an embedded cylinder on a ramp include the angle of the ramp, the mass and radius of the cylinder, the coefficient of friction between the cylinder and the ramp, and any external forces acting on the cylinder.

3. How do you solve for the velocity of the cylinder during rolling motion on a ramp?

The velocity of the cylinder during rolling motion on a ramp can be solved using the equation v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the cylinder.

4. What is the difference between pure rolling and sliding motion?

Pure rolling motion is when a body or object moves along a surface while rotating about its own axis without any slipping or sliding. Sliding motion, on the other hand, occurs when a body or object moves along a surface without any rotation.

5. How can the energy conservation principle be applied to solving rolling motion of an embedded cylinder on a ramp?

The energy conservation principle can be applied by considering the potential energy of the cylinder at the top of the ramp and the kinetic energy of the cylinder at the bottom of the ramp, and equating them to find the relationship between the cylinder's linear and angular velocities.