Solving Resistor Problems 17, 26, & 27

• Thread starter mustang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistor
V battery, and the equivalent resistance for the circuit was requested. For problem 26, a resistor with an unknown resistance was connected in parallel to a 14 ohm resistor, and the current across the unknown resistor was measured to be 3.2 A when both were connected to a 19 V emf source. The resistance of the unknown resistor was asked for, and the formula to use was inquired about. Lastly, for problem 27, two resistors (A and B) were connected in series to a 12 V battery
mustang
Problem 17.
A(n) 5.2 ohm resistor, a(n) 9.2 ohm resistor, and a(n) 14 ohm resistor are connected in series with 6.0V battery.
Determine the equivalent resistance for the circuit. Answer in units of ohms.
Note: I don't know where to start.

Problem 26.
A resistor with an unknown resistance is connected in parallel to a(n) 14 ohm resistor. When both resistors are connected in parallel to an emf source of 19 V, the current across the unknown resistor is measured with an ammeter to be 3.2 A.
What is the resistance of the unknown resistor? In units of ohm.
Note: What formula(s) should I use?

Problem 27.
Two resistors, A and B, are connected in series to a 12 V battery. A voltmeter connected across resistor A measures a potential difference of 6.7 V. When the two resistors are connected in parallel across the 12 V battery, the current in B is found to be 1.6 A. Find the resistance of B. Answer in ohms.
Note: What formula(s) should I use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Same as your other thread. Start with the fact that when you wire resistors in series, their resistances add together.

- Warren

For Problem 17, you can use the formula for equivalent resistance in a series circuit, which is R_eq = R1 + R2 + R3. So in this case, R_eq = 5.2 ohms + 9.2 ohms + 14 ohms = 28.4 ohms. The equivalent resistance for the circuit is 28.4 ohms.

For Problem 26, you can use the formula for current in a parallel circuit, which is I = (V/R). You know the current (3.2 A), voltage (19 V), and one of the resistances (14 ohms). So you can rearrange the formula to solve for the unknown resistance (R). R = V/I = 19 V/3.2 A = 5.9375 ohms. The resistance of the unknown resistor is 5.9375 ohms.

For Problem 27, you can use the formula for current in a series circuit, which is I = V/R. You know the voltage (12 V), current (1.6 A), and one of the resistances (6.7 V). So you can rearrange the formula to solve for the unknown resistance (R). R = V/I = 6.7 V/1.6 A = 4.1875 ohms. The resistance of B is 4.1875 ohms.

Related to Solving Resistor Problems 17, 26, & 27

1. How do I solve resistor problems 17, 26, and 27?

To solve these resistor problems, you will need to use Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws. Ohm's Law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points. Kirchhoff's Laws state that the sum of all currents entering a node is equal to the sum of all currents leaving the node, and the sum of all voltages around a closed loop is equal to zero. By using these laws, you can create a system of equations to solve for the unknown values in the resistor problems.

2. What are the steps for solving resistor problems 17, 26, and 27?

The steps for solving these resistor problems are as follows:

1. Draw a circuit diagram for the problem.
  2. Apply Ohm's Law to calculate the individual resistances.
  3. Apply Kirchhoff's Laws to set up a system of equations.
  4. Solve the equations for the unknown values.
  5. Check your solution by substituting the values back into the original equations.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve resistor problems 17, 26, and 27?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve these resistor problems. However, it is important to understand the concepts and equations involved in order to use the calculator effectively and to check your answers.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving resistor problems 17, 26, and 27?

One common mistake to avoid is forgetting to convert units. Make sure all values are in the same unit (such as ohms, volts, or amps) before solving the equations. Another mistake to avoid is not setting up the equations correctly, so double check your work before solving.

5. Can I solve resistor problems 17, 26, and 27 without knowing Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws?

It is highly recommended to have a basic understanding of Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws in order to solve these resistor problems. Without this knowledge, it may be difficult to set up the correct equations and solve for the unknown values. However, you can still attempt to solve the problems using other methods, such as using a circuit simulator program.