Solving rectangular form simultaneous equations?

In summary, simultaneous equations are a set of equations that are solved together to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations. Rectangular form is a way of representing equations using the standard form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. To solve simultaneous equations in rectangular form, you can use the substitution method or the elimination method. In the substitution method, you solve one equation for one variable and substitute that value into the other equation. In the elimination method, you manipulate the equations to eliminate one variable and then solve for the remaining variable. You can solve any number of equations simultaneously as long as there are the same number of equations as variables. Solving simultaneous equations in rectangular
alex.daciz
Hi, I have the following 3 simultaneous equations to solve for the currents I1, I2 and I3:

I1(0-j5) + I1(5+j5) - I3(5+j5) - 20 = 0

I2(5+j5) + I2(0-j10) + I3(0-j10) - 20 = 0

I1(0-j5) + I3(10+j0) - I2(5+j5) = 0

Does anyone have the link to any online software I could use to solve the problem? I have tried solving it by hand but seem to get a bit stuck. Can the I1(0-j5) + I1(5+j5) terms be combined to form 2I1(5) = 10I2 ? Likewise I2(5+j5) + I2(0-j10) = 2I2(5-j5) is this possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
The complex coefficients of I2 are just constants. (5+j5)I2 + (0-j10)I2 = (5-j5)I2

The system of equations with complex values can be split up be equating the real part of the coefficients to the real part of the RHS. Similarly for the complex part of the coefficients.

for example, the first equation from the OP can be written:
0 * I1 +5 * I1 - 5 * I3 = 20

-j5 * I1 + j5 * I1 - j5 * I3 = 0

If the first equation is written correctly (it does not contain an I2 term), then

5* I1 - 5 * I3 = 20
-j5* I3 = 0

alex.daciz said:
Hi, I have the following 3 simultaneous equations to solve for the currents I1, I2 and I3:

I1(0-j5) + I1(5+j5) - I3(5+j5) - 20 = 0

I2(5+j5) + I2(0-j10) + I3(0-j10) - 20 = 0

I1(0-j5) + I3(10+j0) - I2(5+j5) = 0

Does anyone have the link to any online software I could use to solve the problem? I have tried solving it by hand but seem to get a bit stuck. Can the I1(0-j5) + I1(5+j5) terms be combined to form 2I1(5) = 10I2 ? Likewise I2(5+j5) + I2(0-j10) = 2I2(5-j5) is this possible?

Sure.

(A + jB) + (C + jD) = (A+C) + j(B+D)

and

(A + jB)(C + jD) = AC - BD + j(AD+BC)

Related to Solving rectangular form simultaneous equations?

1. What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of equations that are solved together to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations.

2. What is rectangular form?

Rectangular form is a way of representing equations using the standard form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

3. How do I solve simultaneous equations in rectangular form?

To solve simultaneous equations in rectangular form, you can use the substitution method or the elimination method. In the substitution method, you solve one equation for one variable and substitute that value into the other equation. In the elimination method, you manipulate the equations to eliminate one variable and then solve for the remaining variable.

4. Can I solve more than two equations simultaneously?

Yes, you can solve any number of equations simultaneously as long as there are the same number of equations as variables.

5. What is the importance of solving simultaneous equations in rectangular form?

Solving simultaneous equations in rectangular form is important in many areas of science and math, including physics, engineering, and economics. It allows you to find the intersection point of two or more lines, which can represent real-world situations and help make predictions and solve problems.