Solving Radioactive Decay Homework: Activity at 2pm

In summary, radioactive decay is the process of unstable atoms emitting radiation to become more stable. It is important to study because it helps us understand atoms and has practical applications. To solve problems, use the equation N = N<sub>0</sub> * e<sup>-λt</sup> and know the half-life. The activity of a substance is measured in becquerels and can be calculated using A = λN. Activity decreases over time due to decay, with faster decreases for shorter half-lives. Radioactive decay can also be used for radiometric dating to determine the age of substances.
retupmoc

Homework Statement

I am looking for some guidance on how to tackle the following problem. Maybe I am a little confused as it is rather wordy.

It is known that an isotope, X, spontaneously decays by positron emission into
another isotope, Y, with a half life of 100 minutes. The isotope X is injected into a
patient and after a certain amount of time a sample of blood (containing some of the
radioactive isotope) is withdrawn. The blood sample is withdrawn at 2:27pm. The
sample is then left overnight and placed in a well counter at 10:24 the next day. The
sample is left in the well counter for 20 minutes, during which time 20,000 gamma
rays (each with an energy of 511 keV) are detected. Assuming that the well counter is
100% efficient (i.e. all of the gamma rays emitted by the sample are detected and
recorded as separate events) what was the activity of the sample (in terms of positron
decays per second) at 2pm the previous day?
NOTE: since the counting time is significant compared with the half life, the activity
at 10:24 am cannot be obtained by simply dividing the number of gamma rays
detected by the sampling time

The way I think I should tackle the problem is as follows:

As there are 20,000 decays in 20 minutes and the radioisotope is a positron emitter the activity at 10:24 am should be 10000/20 as 2 photons are emitted per decay with 100% detection efficiency.

I then would take into account the 100 min half life of the radionuclide using the equation A(t) = A(0)exp(-lambda*t)

The activity at 2:27 pm, A(0) = A(t)/exp{ln2*t/T_{half}}

where t is the time in minutes between 2:27pm and 10:24.

Once I know A(0) I can then find the activity at time 2pm by using t=-7mins in the initial equation although this should change the activity by a relatively small amount

Does my reasoning seem sound?

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations A(t) = A(0)exp(-lambda*t) The Attempt at a SolutionYes, your reasoning seems sound. You should be able to use the equation A(t) = A(0)exp(-lambda*t) to calculate the activity at 2pm. To do this, you need to first calculate the activity at 10:24am. Since there are 20,000 decays in 20 minutes and the radioisotope is a positron emitter, the activity at 10:24am should be 10000/20 as 2 photons are emitted per decay with 100% detection efficiency. Once you have this value, you can then take into account the 100 min half life of the radionuclide using the equation A(t) = A(0)exp(-lambda*t). Here, lambda is the decay constant and t is the time in minutes between 2:27pm and 10:24. Then, the activity at 2:27pm, A(0) can be calculated as A(t)/exp{ln2*t/T_{half}}. Finally, you can find the activity at time 2pm by using t=-7mins in the initial equation.

Related to Solving Radioactive Decay Homework: Activity at 2pm

1. What is radioactive decay and why is it important to study?

Radioactive decay is the process by which unstable atoms emit radiation in order to become more stable. It is important to study because it helps us understand the behavior of atoms and their properties, and it has many practical applications in fields such as medicine, energy production, and environmental monitoring.

2. How do you solve radioactive decay problems?

To solve radioactive decay problems, you need to use the equation N = N0 * e-λt, where N is the final amount of the substance, N0 is the initial amount, t is the time in seconds, and λ is the decay constant. You also need to know the half-life of the substance, which is the amount of time it takes for half of the original sample to decay. Plug in the known values and solve for the unknown variable.

3. How do you calculate the activity of a radioactive substance?

The activity of a radioactive substance is measured in becquerels (Bq) and is calculated using the equation A = λN, where A is the activity, λ is the decay constant, and N is the number of atoms present. The activity tells us how many decays are happening per second in a sample of the substance.

4. How does the activity of a radioactive substance change over time?

The activity of a radioactive substance decreases over time as the substance decays. This is because there are fewer atoms present to undergo decay. The rate of decrease depends on the half-life of the substance, with shorter half-lives resulting in faster decreases in activity.

5. How can we use radioactive decay to determine the age of a substance?

By measuring the amount of radioactive material present in a substance and using the known decay rate, scientists can calculate the age of the substance. This is known as radiometric dating and is commonly used in fields such as geology and archaeology to determine the age of rocks, fossils, and artifacts.