Solving Quadratic Word Problems for Jogger and Walker Speeds

In summary, the problem involves a jogger and a walker covering a distance of 5 miles, with the jogger traveling 1.5 times faster than the walker and finishing in 25 minutes less time. The equations for distance, rate, and time are used to set up the problem. The equation 5/r= 10/(3r)+ 5/12 is used to solve for the speeds of the jogger and walker, which are 4mph and 6mph respectively. The confusion may have arisen from the fact that other problems in the chapter were quadratic equations.
kuahji
I'm having trouble just figuring out how to set these problems up. Here is one of them.

A jogger and a walker both cover a distance of 5 miles. The runner is traveling 1.5 times faster than the walker and finishes in 25 minutes less time. How fast is each going?

I know it probably should include the r*t=d

So I "tried" to make a table

jogger = rate = 1.5x time = x-25 = 5
walker I had tried x*x+25= 5 but
I then tried to combine the two & got 2.5x^2-12.5x-10=0

I know the answer is 4mph for the jogger & 6 for the walker. Any help on how to get the equation setup or where I'm going wrong would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
"jogger = rate = 1.5x time = x-25 = 5 "
What is x? in "rate= 1.5x" it appears to be the rate (speed) of the walker but in "time= x- 25" it appears to be the time the walker takes to walk the 5 miles. And, if that last "5" is the distance walked, "time= 5" makes no sense. Finally, whatever x is, in x*x+ 25= 5, you can't add 25 minutes to any quantity and get 5 miles as the result.

Let r be the speed of the walker. since "r*t= d", t= d/r so the time required for the walker to go 5 miles is t= 5/r. The speed of the jogger is 1.5r so the time required for the jogger to go 5 miles is t= 5/(1.5r)= 10/(3r). The walker took 25 minutes longer and 25 minutes= 25/60= 5/12 hour so 5/r= 10/(3r)+ 5/12. Multiply the equation by 12r to get rid of the fractions. That does not give a quadratic equation.

Thanks, that makes sense. What was throwing me off was the fact that all the other problems in the chapter were quadratic equations. So naturally I wanted to "try" & set the problem up as one... but as you can see I just got confused & "tried" to throw something together that would make it quadratic. This here helped a lot. Thanks again.

Related to Solving Quadratic Word Problems for Jogger and Walker Speeds

What is a Quadratic Word Problem?

A quadratic word problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the solution to a quadratic equation using real-life scenarios or word descriptions.

How do you solve a Quadratic Word Problem?

To solve a quadratic word problem, you first need to identify the unknown variables and set up a quadratic equation. Then, use factoring, the quadratic formula, or completing the square to solve for the unknown variable.

What are some common real-life situations that can be represented as Quadratic Word Problems?

Some common real-life situations that can be represented as quadratic word problems include calculating the maximum or minimum value of a given situation, finding the dimensions of a rectangular garden, or determining the height of an object thrown into the air.

Why are Quadratic Word Problems important?

Quadratic word problems are important because they help us understand and apply mathematical concepts in real-life situations. They also help to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

What are some strategies for solving Quadratic Word Problems?

Some strategies for solving quadratic word problems include drawing diagrams, creating tables or charts, using algebraic expressions, and breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.