Solving Polar Co-ordinate Paradox: Finding \frac {\partial r} {\partial x}

• Thread starter dirtydog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paradox
In summary, when trying to find \frac {\partial r} {\partial x} using plane polar co-ordinates, you need to differentiate with respect to x as well as cos \theta.
dirtydog
Hi I am having a bit of difficulty working with plane polar co-ordinates.
We have:
[tex] r^2 = x^2 + z^2 [/tex]
[tex] x = r cos \theta [/tex]
[tex] z=r sin \theta [/tex]
I wish to find [tex] \frac {\partial r} {\partial x} [/tex]

Using [tex] r^2 = x^2 + z^2 [/tex]
We have:

[tex] \frac {\partial (r^2)} {\partial x} = \frac {\partial (x^2)} {\partial x} + \frac {\partial (z^2)} {\partial x} [/tex]
Thus [tex] 2r\frac {\partial r} {\partial x} = 2x [/tex]
[tex] \frac {\partial r} {\partial x} = \frac {x} {r} = \frac {r cos \theta} {r} [/tex]
Therefore [tex]\frac {\partial r} {\partial x} = cos \theta [/tex]

But if we find [tex] \frac {\partial r} {\partial x} [/tex] using [tex] x = r cos \theta [/tex]
We have:
[tex] r = \frac {x} {cos \theta} [/tex]
Therefore [tex]\frac {\partial r} {\partial x} = \frac {1} {cos \theta} [/tex]

What is going on here? Which answer is wrong and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ooops! In your last step you [itex]\theta[/itex] is NOT a constant! You need to differentiate it wrt x as well.

dirtydog said:
But if we find [tex] \frac {\partial r} {\partial x} [/tex] using [tex] x = r cos \theta [/tex]
We have:
[tex] r = \frac {x} {cos \theta} [/tex]
Therefore [tex]\frac {\partial r} {\partial x} = \frac {1} {cos \theta} [/tex]

Hi, when you differentiated with respect to x here, you treated [tex]\theta[/tex] as a constant. It's not, it's dependant on x, so you have to use the quotient rule and you'll have a [tex]\frac {\partial \theta} {\partial x}[/tex] appear via the chain rule. Use [tex]{\cos \theta}=\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+z^2}}[/tex] to work out [tex]\frac {\partial \theta} {\partial x}[/tex].

eidt-Tide was quicker on the draw!

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but I think your mistake is in the following procedure:

[tex]r = \frac {x} {cos \theta} \rightarrow \frac {\partial r} {\partial x} = \frac {1} {cos \theta} [/tex]

I believe that [tex] \theta [/tex] is dependent on [tex] x [/tex]. In other words [tex] \theta = \theta (x)[/tex] so you can't just treat [tex] cos \theta[/tex] as a constant when taking the derivative with respect to [tex] x [/tex].

Whoops! I guess I'm pretty late on that one!

This is the first time I used the equation formatting and it took me a while to format the post. (ha ha)

At least, I know now that I was on the right track. :smile:

Way to go, NS!

Thanks for your help guys!

Related to Solving Polar Co-ordinate Paradox: Finding \frac {\partial r} {\partial x}

What is a polar coordinate paradox?

A polar coordinate paradox is a mathematical problem that arises when trying to find the partial derivative of the polar coordinate function, r with respect to the Cartesian coordinate, x. It results in a contradiction, as the partial derivative of r with respect to x can be calculated in two different ways, leading to different results.

Why is it important to solve the polar coordinate paradox?

Solving the polar coordinate paradox is important in order to have a consistent and accurate mathematical framework for working with polar coordinates. It allows for the proper application of polar coordinates in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

What techniques can be used to solve the polar coordinate paradox?

There are several techniques that can be used to solve the polar coordinate paradox, including using the chain rule, converting to Cartesian coordinates, and using the concept of complex numbers. These techniques help to reconcile the different results obtained from the two methods of calculating the partial derivative.

How does solving the polar coordinate paradox impact other areas of mathematics?

Solving the polar coordinate paradox has implications for other areas of mathematics, such as multivariable calculus and differential equations. It helps to clarify the relationship between polar and Cartesian coordinates and allows for a deeper understanding of the mathematical concepts involved.

Are there any real-life applications of solving the polar coordinate paradox?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of solving the polar coordinate paradox. For example, it is used in navigation and geolocation systems, as well as in modeling circular motion and polarized light. It is also important in the study of fluid mechanics and electromagnetism.