Solving Physics Puzzle: Prove Guy Slides off Ice Mount at 2/3R Height

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a person sliding down a frictionless ice mount and falling off at a height of 2/3R. The person is trying to prove this height mathematically and has considered initial potential and kinetic energies, as well as the normal force. The conversation ends with a successful solution involving conservation of energy and an angle of 48.3 degrees.
FrostScYthe
Hi, I encountered this problem while I was studying for a Physics test, and this is how far I got, hopefully someone can point me in the RIIGHT direction.
The proof goes like this, a guy is sitting on the top of an ice hemisphere, and someone pushes him off, and so he slides down the frictionless ice mount and falls out at the height of 2/3R... I'm actually supposed to prove that he falls off at that height.
http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/4333/superdrawing7mk.gif
Here's what I've done, in a few words, I've basically considered the initial potential energy at the top to be mgR and before the guy takes off, he'd have a potential energy of mgh plus a kinetic energy of 1/2Iw^2, then I substitute for the I and try to get rid of that w, and I can't, the book gives a little clue with the normal force, but I don't know how it applies in all of this.
Thanks in advance :smile:
Ok I've considered the energies like this: (trying to prove h = 2/3R btw)
mgr = (0.5)Iw^2 +mgh
mgr = (0.5)(1/2mr^2)V^2/r^2 + mgh
mgr = (mr^2)V^2/r^2 + mgh
mgr = mv^2 + mgh
gr = v^2 + gh
I don't know how to get rid of that V^2 for one thing, maybe I'm not doing it right, hopefully someone can help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fn-mgcosx=-mv^2/R
gravitational potential is zero at the top then potential energy at the time shown is
u = -mgR(1-cosx)
he starts at rest conservation of energy gives
0 = .5mv^2-mgR(1-cosx)
substitute above equation into one for second law to obtain
gcosx = 2g(1-cosx)
cosx = 2/3
h = Rcosx = 2R/3

Last edited:
Looks ok. The angle (with the vertical) is about 48.3o, so (2/3)R looks fine.

Related to Solving Physics Puzzle: Prove Guy Slides off Ice Mount at 2/3R Height

1. How do you solve a physics puzzle?

Solving a physics puzzle involves using the principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the conservation of energy, to analyze the given situation and determine the correct solution.

2. What is the purpose of proving that the guy slides off the ice mount at 2/3 height?

The purpose of this puzzle is to demonstrate the application of physics principles in a real-life scenario. By solving this puzzle, we can understand how different factors, such as friction and gravity, affect the motion of an object.

3. How do you determine the 2/3 height of the ice mount?

The 2/3 height of the ice mount can be determined by using the given information and applying the principles of trigonometry. We can use the angle and the distance of the slide to calculate the height at which the guy slides off the ice mount.

4. What factors affect the guy's motion on the ice mount?

The guy's motion on the ice mount is affected by several factors, such as the angle of the slide, the coefficient of friction between the guy and the ice, the gravitational force, and the air resistance. These factors can be calculated and used to determine the guy's final position on the ice mount.

5. How does solving this puzzle relate to real-life situations?

Solving this puzzle is a practical application of physics principles that can be seen in various real-life situations. For example, understanding the factors that affect an object's motion can help engineers design safer amusement park rides or improve the performance of athletes in sports like skiing and snowboarding.