Solving Physics Problems: Ball Drop and Race Calculations

In summary, there are two problems being discussed. The first one involves two people standing on a roof, one throwing a ball straight up at 20 m/s and the other dropping a replica of the ball. The questions asked are about the time difference between the balls hitting the ground, the difference in their final velocities, and the displacement between the two people. The second problem is a race between a rabbit and a tortoise, where the rabbit is 50 times faster and rests for 10 minutes before starting. The tortoise's speed is 5 cm/s and it loses the race by 100 cm. The questions asked are about the duration of the race and how long it takes for the rabbit to complete the race.
dmasports
I've been having some problems with these problems, I'd appreciate any help.

1. There are 2 people standing on a roof 80 m high, person #1 throws a ball straight up in the air with an initial velocity of 20 m/s, person #2 has a replica of the ball and drops it off the roof at the same initial velocity.

How much sooner does #2 hit the ground than #1?

What is the difference in their final velocities?

What is the displacement between #1 and #2

2. There is a race between a rabit and tourtise, the rabit rests for 10 min before starting and is 50 times faster than the tourtise. The tourtis's speed is 5 cm/s, and it ends up loosing the race by 100 cm.

How longs the race?

How long does the race last?

Thanks for the Help! :cool:

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, what is the speed of ball #1 when it returns to the roof level on the way down?

How would you find the time it takes to reach its peak of motion and return to the roof level?

What do you know of the equations of motion of a free falling object?

more

all that was given to us was that accleration is 9.81 m/s, besides that nothing else is known

Related to Solving Physics Problems: Ball Drop and Race Calculations

1. What is the best way to approach physics homework?

The best way to approach physics homework is to start by reviewing the material covered in class and making sure you understand the concepts. Then, read through the homework questions carefully and try to solve them on your own before seeking help. If you get stuck, don't hesitate to ask your teacher or classmates for assistance.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

One way to improve your understanding of physics concepts is to practice solving problems and working through examples. Additionally, you can try explaining the concepts to someone else to solidify your understanding. Watching videos or using interactive simulations can also be helpful in visualizing and understanding abstract concepts.

3. Is it okay to use online resources for physics homework help?

Yes, it is okay to use online resources for physics homework help. However, make sure the resources you are using are reputable and accurate. It's also important to make sure you understand the solutions and not just copy them without understanding the reasoning behind them.

4. How can I manage my time effectively when completing physics homework?

To manage your time effectively when completing physics homework, start by breaking down the assignment into smaller, manageable tasks. Set a timeline for each task and try to stick to it. Avoid distractions and take breaks when needed. If you find yourself struggling with a particular task, move on to another one and come back to it later.

5. What should I do if I consistently struggle with physics homework?

If you consistently struggle with physics homework, it's important to seek help from your teacher or a tutor. They can provide personalized assistance and offer additional resources to help you better understand the material. It's also important to regularly attend class, take thorough notes, and actively participate in class discussions and activities.