Solving Physics Homework Questions: Kinetic Energy & Momentum of Photons

In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving finding the kinetic energy and momentum of a photon, as well as using the equation for power in terms of force and speed. The use of the de Broiglie wavelength and the classical formula for kinetic energy are also mentioned in relation to the problem. The conversation concludes with the assurance that the method used was correct.
ibysaiyan

Homework Statement

Hi
I am not too sure but I had my physics exam the other day.I think it went great although I am much confused on few problems now when I come to think of them.Question first asked for me to find kinetic energy of a photon. So using 1/2mv^2 I got that value later on it asked me to find out the momentum of a photon.Now the wavelength was given to be around 660nm I plugged that into p = h/lamda. Now I think that's one way to do it or by having my K.e = value manipulating it such that mv = 2v times my k.e value. Now which is right or wrong :S ? :( Sorry but I just can't recall the values other than lamda which I posted above.
The next part of the question was quite complicated. They had Power of laser given as 1x10^-3 W and using force = change in momentum I had to find force.
So I used E (energy) = hc/lamda to get my energy value.Then by manipulation I got the time from power = energy/time. That time got plugged into force equation.
I hope I making any sense at all.
All inputs are greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The kinetic energy of a photon is not [tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/tex]. Plugging in the mass, m, of a photon as zero, we see that this classic formula for the kinetic energy returns zero, which is nonsense. The method using the de Broiglie wavelength is correct.

using force = change in momentum
You mean force = change in momentum per unit time.

[tex]\vec{F}=\frac{d\vec{p}}{dt}[/tex]

Note that you used the formula [tex]E=pc[/tex] which is correct for particles with zero rest mass, such as photons. The general expression is

[tex]E^{2}=(pc)^{2}+(mc^{2})^{2}[/tex]

You can save yourself some trouble by just using the equation for Power in terms of force and speed, [tex]P=Fv=Fc[/tex], where the last step is justified by the fact that photons move at the speed of light in vacuum.

Last edited:
americanforest said:
The kinetic energy of a photon is not [tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/tex]. Plugging in the mass, m, of a photon as zero, we see that this classic formula for the kinetic energy returns zero, which is nonsense. The method using the de Broiglie wavelength is correct.

You mean force = change in momentum per unit time.

[tex]\vec{F}=\frac{d\vec{p}}{dt}[/tex]

Note that you used the formula [tex]E=pc[/tex] which is correct for particles with zero rest mass, such as photons. The general expression is

[tex]E^{2}=(pc)^{2}+(mc^{2})^{2}[/tex]

You can save yourself some trouble by just using the equation for Power in terms of force and speed, [tex]P=Fv=Fc[/tex], where the last step is justified by the fact that photons move at the speed of light in vacuum.
Err but in our specification we haven't met de Broiglies wavelength at all also the way the question was written down there clearly was mass and velocity(maybe it was an electron argh ) given now I just can't recall what those were but certainly if the both quantities are given then the way I did is right?
Yes force = delta momentum /time is what I used.
Now I just want assure myself on this.
Thanks for your reply =)

ibysaiyan said:
Err but in our specification we haven't met de Broiglies wavelength at all also the way the question was written down there clearly was mass and velocity(maybe it was an electron argh ) given now I just can't recall what those were but certainly if the both quantities are given then the way I did is right?
Yes force = delta momentum /time is what I used.
Now I just want assure myself on this.
Thanks for your reply =)

The de Broiglie wavelength is simply [tex]\lambda=\frac{h}{p}[/tex], which is exactly what you said you used initially. If the problem was asking about an electron then one cannot use [tex]E=pc[/tex] since the mass is non-zero. The classical formula for kinetic energy remains relevant only for low momenta.

americanforest said:
The de Broiglie wavelength is simply [tex]\lambda=\frac{h}{p}[/tex], which is exactly what you said you used initially. If the problem was asking about an electron then one cannot use [tex]E=pc[/tex] since the mass is non-zero. The classical formula for kinetic energy remains relevant only for low momenta.

Ah thanks a lot makes sense now. Seems I did right.
Thanks for your reply :)

Related to Solving Physics Homework Questions: Kinetic Energy & Momentum of Photons

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated by using the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. In the context of photons, kinetic energy refers to the energy they possess due to their movement through space.

2. How is kinetic energy related to momentum?

Kinetic energy and momentum are closely related, as they both describe the movement of an object. Momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity, while kinetic energy is a measure of its mass and velocity squared. In the case of photons, their momentum is equal to their kinetic energy divided by the speed of light.

3. How do you calculate the kinetic energy and momentum of a photon?

The kinetic energy of a photon can be calculated using the formula KE = hc/λ, where h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength of the photon. The momentum of a photon can be calculated using the formula p = h/λ, where h is Planck's constant and λ is the wavelength of the photon.

4. Can kinetic energy and momentum of photons be measured?

Yes, kinetic energy and momentum of photons can be measured using specialized equipment such as spectrometers. By measuring the wavelength of a photon and using the above formulas, the kinetic energy and momentum can be calculated and measured.

5. How does the kinetic energy and momentum of photons change with wavelength?

The kinetic energy and momentum of photons are inversely proportional to their wavelength. This means that as the wavelength of a photon increases, its kinetic energy and momentum decrease. This relationship is known as the photoelectric effect and is a key principle in understanding the behavior of photons.