Solving Particle Collision: Find Mass Ratio from Total Angle

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two particles colliding and bouncing off each other at different angles. The original equation used to find the mass of the second particle from the first and the resulting angles is solved, but the speakers are looking for a simpler formula to determine the ratio of the masses based on the observed angles. They also correct a mistake in the equation and question why a span of 105.6 does not always result in a ratio of 2m1=m2.
twentysix26
So there is a particle with m1 that hits a particle m2 at rest, they bounce off at angles theta1 and theta2 from the horizontal. The original problem proposes that you can find the mass of the second particle from knowing the first particle, and the angles that they both make from the horizontal after the elastic collision. So i solved the equation when m1 = 20 and theta1 = 55.6 degrees and theta2 = 50 degrees, and i found out that m2 = 40.

But what I am trying to find is an easier way to solve, so a formula to discover the ratio of the two masses from the total angle after the elastic collision

So conservation of momentum in x-direction:
m1v (before)= m1v1cos(theta1) + m2v2cos(theta2) (after)

y-direction:
m1v1sin(theta1) - m2v2sin(theta2) = 0

conservation of KE:
1/2(m1)(v^2) = 1/2(m1)(v1^2) + 1/2(m2)(v2)^2

help please

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the equation that my friend and I found...

We can find the ratio based off of the observed angles. We want to know how to find the angles (or spread) that result for any given ratio of masses.

Attachments

• Physics.doc
    18 KB · Views: 256
Py is wrong
------
y-direction:
m1v1sin(theta1) - m2v2sin(theta2) = 0
------

Negative angles correlate to negative sin..
it should be: m1v1sin(theta1) + m2v2sin(theta2) = 0

With that modification the equation becomes what I have attached.

What puzzles me is how a span of 105.6 does not always correlate to 2m1=m2...
A span of 90 always correlates to m1=m2...

Attachments

• Physics2.doc
    18 KB · Views: 261

Related to Solving Particle Collision: Find Mass Ratio from Total Angle

1. What is particle collision and why is it important in science?

Particle collision is a phenomenon in which two or more particles collide and interact with each other, resulting in a change in their properties or the creation of new particles. This is important in science because it helps us understand the fundamental nature of matter and the forces that govern its behavior.

2. How do you calculate the mass ratio from the total angle in a particle collision?

The mass ratio can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and energy principles. The total angle between the outgoing particles can be used to determine the initial and final velocities of the particles, which can then be used to calculate the mass ratio.

3. Can the mass ratio be determined if the total angle is not known?

No, the total angle is a crucial piece of information in calculating the mass ratio. Without it, the final velocities of the particles cannot be determined, and therefore the mass ratio cannot be calculated.

4. Are there any limitations to using the total angle to find the mass ratio?

Yes, the total angle method assumes an elastic collision between the particles and does not take into account any external forces or energy losses. Therefore, it may not accurately reflect the true mass ratio in all cases.

5. How can the mass ratio be used in practical applications?

The mass ratio is commonly used in particle accelerators and experiments involving high energy collisions, such as in nuclear physics and particle physics. It can also be used in medical imaging techniques, such as positron emission tomography (PET), to determine the mass ratio of different isotopes in the body.