Solving Orbital Motion using ODE45 - MY Problem

• Thread starter aerospace37
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode Orbit
In summary, to solve your problem in ode45, you will need to define the equations of motion in Cartesian coordinates and make some modifications to your program. I hope this helps and I invite anyone who is researching orbits or other related topics to communicate with me. Thank you.
aerospace37
MY problom is easy,but i can't get the reasonable answer.problom dipicted:
In the Cartesian coordinates,A satellite'higth is 200KM,and just in two dimensions.the initial position is (-6571KM,0),and initial velocity is (0,-7.8KM/S).I need the final running solution of program.I want to solve the problom in ode45.The result figure just is a circle
program as following:
============================================
function Yd=orbit(t,y)
global u
rx=y(1);
ry=y(2);
vx=y(3);
vy=y(4);
rr=sqrt(rx^2+ry^2);
vxy=[vx;vy];
xy=[rx;ry];
Yd=[vxy;-u*xy/rr^3];
===================================

function wlow3
global u
u=3.986e14;
t0=0;tf=24*60*60;
tspan=[t0,tf]; %
y0=[-6.571e6;0;0;-7.8e3];%
[t,YY]=ode45('orbit',tspan,y0);
X=YY(:,1);
Y=YY(:,2);
plot(X,Y);
xlabel('x')
ylabel('y')
hold on
axis('image')

==========================================================
I hope anyone who researches orbit or others can communicates with me.
thans a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. I am a scientist who specializes in orbital dynamics and I would be happy to offer some help with your program.

Firstly, it is important to note that the final running solution of your program will depend on the specific values of the initial conditions and the gravitational parameter (u) that you have chosen. In your program, the gravitational parameter is set to u=3.986e14, which is the standard gravitational parameter for Earth. However, the initial conditions you have provided do not seem to correspond to a circular orbit around Earth.

To solve this problem using ode45, you will need to define the equations of motion for a satellite in Cartesian coordinates. These equations can be derived from Newton's laws of motion and the law of gravitation. In your program, the orbit function is defined as Yd=[vxy;-u*xy/rr^3], which is the correct form for the equations of motion in Cartesian coordinates. However, there are a few changes that need to be made in order to ensure that the program runs correctly.

Firstly, you have defined the initial conditions as y0=[-6.571e6;0;0;-7.8e3], which corresponds to an initial position of (-6571 km, 0) and an initial velocity of (0, -7.8 km/s). However, the units for position and velocity should be consistent. In this case, the units for position are in meters and the units for velocity are in meters per second. Therefore, the initial conditions should be defined as y0=[-6571000;0;0;-7800].

Secondly, the equations of motion should be written in terms of the state variables x and y, rather than rx and ry. This can be done by modifying the orbit function to the following:

function Yd=orbit(t,y)
global u
x=y(1);
y=y(2);
vx=y(3);
vy=y(4);
rr=sqrt(x^2+y^2);
vxy=[vx;vy];
xy=[x;y];
Yd=[vxy;-u*xy/rr^3];

Finally, to plot the orbit, you will need to convert the state variables x and y back to kilometers, as follows:

X=YY(:,1)/1000;
Y=YY(:,2)/1000;
plot(X,Y);
xlabel('x (km)')

Related to Solving Orbital Motion using ODE45 - MY Problem

1. What is orbital motion and why is it important to study?

Orbital motion refers to the movement of an object around another object due to the force of gravity. It is important to study because it is relevant to many real-world scenarios, such as the motion of planets around the sun, satellites around the Earth, and even the motion of electrons around an atom.

2. What is ODE45 and how is it used to solve orbital motion problems?

ODE45 stands for "ordinary differential equation solver with a fifth-order Runge-Kutta algorithm." It is a numerical method used to solve differential equations, which are mathematical equations that describe how a system changes over time. In the context of orbital motion, ODE45 can be used to solve the differential equations that govern the motion of objects in orbit.

3. What are the parameters needed to solve orbital motion using ODE45?

The parameters needed to solve orbital motion using ODE45 include the initial position and velocity of the object, the mass of the object being orbited, the gravitational constant, and the time interval over which the motion will be simulated. Additional parameters such as atmospheric drag or other external forces can also be included in the equations if necessary.

4. What are the limitations of using ODE45 to solve orbital motion problems?

ODE45 is a numerical method, meaning it provides an approximate solution rather than an exact one. This means that the accuracy of the solution may be affected by the size of the time step used in the simulation, as well as any simplifications or assumptions made in the equations. Additionally, ODE45 assumes that the motion is continuous and smooth, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving orbital motion problems besides ODE45?

Yes, there are several alternative methods for solving orbital motion problems, such as Euler's method, fourth-order Runge-Kutta method, and symplectic integrators. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific problem being solved and the desired level of accuracy.