Solving Newtons Third Law: Mass and Force in Blocks A & B

In summary, the system of two blocks, with block A having a mass of 1kg and block B having a mass of 2kg, is pushed forward by 12N. According to Newton's Third Law, the force exerted on A by B is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the force exerted on B by A. The net force on A is the applied force of 12N plus the force from B, while the net force on B is only the force from A. The accelerations of the two blocks are equal, and can be calculated using Newton's Second Law. Ultimately, the force exerted by B on A can be determined to be 12N, equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to
Weave

Homework Statement

Two blocks are lined up in a row. Block A a mass of 1kg, and Block B with a mass of 2kg. If block a is A is pushed forward by 12N, how much force does Block B exert on Block A. Friction can be nelected.

Homework Equations

Newtons Third law
F(A on B)=-F(B on A)
For the system of A:
[tex]F_{Force on A}-F_{B on A}= m_{a}a_{a}[/tex]
For the system of B:
[tex]F_{A on B}=m_{B}a_{b}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know something is wrong because when I plug in values I get [tex]F_{B on A}=0[/tex]

I think it may be just me but I've had some trouble with Newtons Third law, I can't stand the book we are using: Physics for engineers and scientists by knight, any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Weave said:

Homework Equations

Newtons Third law
F(A on B)=-F(B on A)
Good.
For the system of A:
[tex]F_{Force on A}-F_{B on A}= m_{a}a_{a}[/tex]
I'd write that as:
[tex]F_{Force on A}+F_{B on A}= m_{a}a_{a}[/tex]
For the system of B:
[tex]F_{A on B}=m_{B}a_{b}[/tex]
Good.

Now what can you say about their accelerations?

Well I know that the Acceleration of B is going to be less than A. Since A acts on B's mass of 2kg, B will act on A less than 12N.
Right?
Doc Al said:
Good.

I'd write that as:
[tex]F_{Force on A}+F_{B on A}= m_{a}a_{a}[/tex]
But isn't [tex]F_{B on A}[/tex] acting in the other direction to make it [tex]-F_{B on A}[/tex]

Last edited:
Weave said:
Well I know that the Acceleration of B is going to be less than A.
Oh really? So you're saying that A will pass through B? :wink:
Since A acts on B with 12N, B will have to act on A less than 12N because there is a Net Force.
12 N is the applied force on A, not the force that A and B exert on each other.

But isn't [tex]F_{B on A}[/tex] acting in the other direction to make it [tex]-F_{B on A}[/tex]
By definition, the force on A due to B is [tex]F_{B on A}[/tex]. So the net force on A will be the applied force (12N) plus the force of B on A.

Let's get specific. Assume A is on the left and B on the right. And let's take to the right as the positive direction. Let's call the magnitude of the force of B on A (and A on B) to be Fn. So [tex]F_{B on A}[/tex] = -Fn, since that force points to the left. And [tex]F_{A on B}[/tex] = +Fn, since that force points to the right.

It's certainly true that [tex]F_{B on A} = -F_{A on B}[/tex]. Make sense?

Doc Al said:
By definition, the force on A due to B is [tex]F_{B on A}[/tex]. So the net force on A will be the applied force (12N) plus the force of B on A.

Let's get specific. Assume A is on the left and B on the right. And let's take to the right as the positive direction. Let's call the magnitude of the force of B on A (and A on B) to be Fn. So [tex]F_{B on A}[/tex] = -Fn, since that force points to the left. And [tex]F_{A on B}[/tex] = +Fn, since that force points to the right.

It's certainly true that [tex]F_{B on A} = -F_{A on B}[/tex]. Make sense?
Got yah on that.

Ok, so by definition. of [tex]F_{B on A} = -F_{A on B}[/tex]
The agent acts on A with 12N, then A must act on the agent with 12N, right(neglecting friction)? The force that A imposes on B:
[tex]F_{AonB}=m_{a}a_{acceleration of a}[/tex]
I get it conceptually, but I guess I have trouble representing it mathematically.

Last edited:
Weave said:
Ok, so by definition. of [tex]F_{B on A} = -F_{A on B}[/tex]
That's true not by definition, but by Newton's 3rd law.

The agent acts on A with 12N, then A must act on the agent with 12N, right(neglecting friction)?
That's certainly true, but we don't really care about what happens to the agent of that force in this problem.
The force that A imposes on B:
[tex]F_{AonB}=m_{a}a_{acceleration of a}[/tex]
I get it conceptually, but I guess I have trouble representing it mathematically.
Careful: you mixed up your A's and B's a bit.

Since the only force acting on block B is the force from A, then [tex]F_{A on B}[/tex] is the net force on B. Then [tex]F_{A on B} = m_b a_b[/tex] follows from Newton's 2nd law.

But return to the accelerations for a minute. How does the acceleration of A relate to the acceleration of B? Hint: Use common sense!

Last edited:
The accelerations are going to be the same?

Weave said:
The accelerations are going to be the same?
You got it.

So.
Acceleration is going to be [tex]a=F/m=12N\_div1Kg=12m/s^2[/tex]
[tex]F_{A on B} = m_b a_b= (2kg)(12m\s^2)=12N[/tex]
then this equals [tex]-F_{B on A}[/tex] ?

Weave said:
So.
Acceleration is going to be [tex]a=F/m=12N\_div1Kg=12m/s^2[/tex]
That acceleration is incorrect. When you apply Newton's 2nd law to block A, you must use the net force on block A. You just used the applied force of 12 N.

(Note that you can also treat block A and B together as a single system. What's the net force on that system? What's its mass?)

ok..
[tex]F_{AB}=(m_{a}+m_{a})a_{AB}[/tex]
The force on A in contact with B is 12N so the net force is 12N.
[tex]a_{AB}=F_{net}divided(m_{a}+m_{b})=4m/s^2[/tex]

Last edited:
Yes, that's the correct value for the acceleration of the blocks. Now you can solve for the force they exert on each other.

Thanks Doc...did I really make this problem harder than it really was?

Weave said:
did I really make this problem harder than it really was?
Problems often appear much easier after you've figured them out! :smile:

Related to Solving Newtons Third Law: Mass and Force in Blocks A & B

1. What is Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

2. How does mass affect Newton's Third Law?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. In terms of Newton's Third Law, the mass of an object does not affect the law itself. However, the mass of an object does affect the amount of force that it can exert. Objects with greater mass will require more force to accelerate, and will also exert more force when they collide with other objects.

3. How is force calculated in Newton's Third Law?

According to Newton's Third Law, force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration (F=ma). This means that the force exerted by an object is directly proportional to its mass and the rate at which its velocity changes.

4. How are blocks A and B related in terms of Newton's Third Law?

Blocks A and B are related in that they are exerting equal and opposite forces on each other. When block A pushes on block B, block B will push back on block A with the same amount of force. This is an example of Newton's Third Law in action.

5. Can Newton's Third Law be applied to more than just blocks A and B?

Yes, Newton's Third Law can be applied to any situation where two objects interact with each other. This can include objects colliding, objects at rest on top of each other, or even objects connected by a string or rope. As long as there is an interaction between two objects, Newton's Third Law will apply.