Solving Newton's First Law: Spider Attached to Two Threads

In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where a spider is attached to two threads at a 120 degree angle, with a mass of 30mg. The tension in each thread is being questioned, and it is determined that according to Newton's first law, the sum of the forces must be 0. The tension in each thread is found to be 1.5 * 10-4N, with a surprise that the answer is actually 3.0 * 10-4N on each thread. The concept of forces being vectors is also briefly mentioned in the conversation.
brad sue
Please ,
Explain me this situation
A spider is attached to two threads of equal length that make a 120o angle with each other. The spider is motionless and its mass is m=30mg.
What is the tension in each thread?

According to the Newton first Law, the sum of the force must be 0.

T1+T2+Fspider=0
since the threads are the same length and symetrical, T1=T2.

Fspider=-3.0 *10-4N

so I found T1=1.5 *10-4N

I am surprised to see that the answer is 3.0 *10-4N on each thread

please now I am confused! help

Physics news on Phys.org
Forces are vectors...

Hurkyl said:
Forces are vectors...
ok but how it is help me please?

Related to Solving Newton's First Law: Spider Attached to Two Threads

1. What is Newton's First Law?

Newton's First Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does the Law of Inertia apply to spiders attached to two threads?

In the case of a spider attached to two threads, the Law of Inertia applies by stating that the spider will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity, unless an external force is applied. This means that the spider will not move unless one of the threads is pulled by an external force, such as the wind or a predator.

3. What happens if one thread is cut?

If one thread is cut, the spider will continue to move in the same direction as before, but at a slower speed. This is because the remaining thread will still provide some resistance, causing the spider's velocity to decrease.

4. How does the mass of the spider affect its motion?

The mass of the spider does not affect its motion in terms of the Law of Inertia. According to this law, the mass of an object does not impact its tendency to remain at rest or in motion. However, the mass of the spider will affect how quickly it accelerates or decelerates when an external force is applied.

5. Is the Law of Inertia applicable to all objects?

Yes, the Law of Inertia applies to all objects, regardless of their size, shape, or composition. It is one of the fundamental laws of physics that govern the motion of all objects in the universe.