Solving Modular Multiplication with C/C++

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with writing a C/C++ program to manipulate three 64 bit numbers and perform the operation "a * b mod c". The conversation mentions different approaches, including using well-known algorithms and using bitwise operations, but no definitive solution is provided.
chesschi
I want to write a C/C++ program and encounter a problem.If I have three 64 bit numbers and need to manipulate
"a * b mod c"

Is there any well-known, efficient and simple algorithm to implement it?

I only know it can be calculated sth. like this..
__int64 a, b, c
a = x1 * 2^32 + x0
b = y1 * 2^32 + y0

then a * b = x1y1 * 2^64 + (x0y1 + x1y0) * 2^32 + x0y0

but I don't know what to do in the next step

Note that this cannot be calculated using some classes like BigInt, gmp

Thank you very much!

Technology news on Phys.org
Sounds like an interesting question. My C++ experience is limited. Sorry I cannot offer much help there. However, I think you will have much better luck (more software folks) posting this in our programming subforum. If you wish to do this, just ask any moderator or mentor for assistance. In fact there are a couple of excellent C++ tutorials in that subforum.

Last edited:
Is c an arbitrary integer?

Does "a*b mod c" mean (a*b) mod c?

Also, what's with x0, x1, etc? Are you trying to do this with 32 bit integers instead of using 64 bit integers?

For the mod c, how about bitwise and with c? At least that should work if a, b, c >= 0. Edit: er, ok, maybe only if c is a power of 2. Edit 2: What's wrong with the modulo operator "%"? Forgot that was there...I usually use powers of two, where the & (c-1) trick works.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited:
chesschi said:
I want to write a C/C++ program and encounter a problem.If I have three 64 bit numbers and need to manipulate
"a * b mod c"

Is there any well-known, efficient and simple algorithm to implement it?

I only know it can be calculated sth. like this..
__int64 a, b, c
a = x1 * 2^32 + x0
b = y1 * 2^32 + y0

then a * b = x1y1 * 2^64 + (x0y1 + x1y0) * 2^32 + x0y0

but I don't know what to do in the next step

Note that this cannot be calculated using some classes like BigInt, gmp

Thank you very much!
Er, gmp does allow you to compute such things.

Anyways, I presume you're either going to have to do a Montgomery multiply, or you're going to have to use a divide & conquer division algorithm. (which will require splitting c into a high and low word).

a, b and c both are 64 bit integers, c is arbitary number, may not be in power of 2.
but a * b will generate a 128 bit intermediate integers which will overflow. So I believe there is an algorithm to deal with such problem

a = x1 * 2^32 + x0
b = y1 * 2^32 + y0

I'm not sure if this is correct...I just read some websites talking about it but they didn't provide details implementation. a and b are 64-bit integers, it tries to represent a,b in the power of 2 ^ 32 with the corresponding x1, x0, y1, y0 coefficients If there is any good suggestion other than this method, I'm also interested to know it!

For the montgomery multiply, the output is o = ab R^(-1) mod c, where R = 2^64...if you need to recover it...you still need to manipulate o * R mod c...
It seems it cannot solve in this case because o, R and c are still 64-bit integers

Last edited:
I am probably missing something enormous, but what is wrong with the '%' operator?

At worst you can use the 64-bit CPU instruction with an __asm block... (I am assuming you are using windows with your highly MS-specific __int64)

Last edited:
Jheriko, the (a*b) will overflow for large numbers.

verty said:
Jheriko, the (a*b) will overflow for large numbers.

I should have read the thread more, and actually thought before answering. Sorry for that.

As for splitting the multiplication it has almost been done above:

"a * b = x1y1 * 2^64 + (x0y1 + x1y0) * 2^32 + x0y0"

The key is to realize that the xi, yi are all 32-bit integers (although we store them in 64-bits) and so their products are 64 bits. We can jiggle the bits around to make the correct answer in two 64-bit integers.

__int64 upper = x1*y1 + ((x0y1 + x1y0) >> 32);
__int64 lower = x0*y0 + ((x0y1 + x1y0) << 32);

This should work as far as I can see... you can then use the existing 64-bit modulus operator.

Last edited:
Apologies for the necromancy, but this is just the problem I was working on.

Include
#define llong __uint64
or
#define llong unsigned long long
or whatever your system requires.

Code:
const llong LOW_MASK = 0xFFFFFFFF;
llong mod_mult (llong a, llong b, llong modulus) {
	// Compute a * b = 2^64 * upper + lower
	llong a1 = a & LOW_MASK;
	llong a2 = a << 32;
	llong b1 = b & LOW_MASK;
	llong b2 = b << 32;
	llong tmp = a1 * b2 + a2 * b1;	// (1)
	llong upper = a1 * b1 + tmp >> 32;
	llong lower = a2 * b2 + (tmp << 32);

// Reduce mod modulus
	lower %= modulus;
	tmp = (0 - modulus) % modulus;	// tmp = 2^64 % modulus
	lower += upper * tmp;	// (2)

return lower % modulus;
}

The 'obvious' code here has a number of problems, aside from the potentially non-portable use of integer wrapping and the assumption that llong is exactly 64 bits.

First, the assignment (1) could be as large as 2^65 - 3^34 + 2 which will cause upper to be off by 1. Second, the multiplication in (2) could be huge, almost as large as 2^128 -- and solving this problem is in essence no different from solving the original problem. So the naive method suggested above doesn't seem to work. Remarks?

CRG: are you familiar with Montgomery multiplication, Barrett reduction, and/or Newton division?

You could even go so far as to write a multiprecision division algorithm to compute the remainder.

KTC said:
You cannot write a general method that will guarantee to work for all possible input of a, b, c if you want the calculation to return a 64-bits value. "c is arbitary number" means that c can be 1, so unless you can guarantee (a * b) does not overflow, there is no possible solution. Of course, if you can guarantee (or assume) that (a * b) does not overflow, then the solution is trivial.
This makes no sense to me at all.

Maybe I'm suffering from brain fade here thinking back on my finite field days and ecc, but isn't the following true (assuming integer math here):

(a x b) mod c = ((a mod c ) x (b mod c )) mod c

(a + b) mod c = ((a mod c ) + (b mod c )) mod c

(a - b) mod c = ((a mod c) - (b mod c)) mod c

a mod c = (a - (n x c)) mod c

If c < 2^32, there's no overflow issue.

If c >= 2^32, then there's an issue with potential overflow.

This would all be so easy in 64 bit mode assembly where there is a 128 product and 128 bit dividend to work with.

Anyway, to divide 128 bit number by a 64 bit number in 3 steps:

normalize both numbers (left shift until most significant bit is 1), keeping track of shift counts.
Divide normalized a x b by normalized c.
Shift the quotient right by the appropriate bit count.
Subtract 1 from this quotient to get est quotient #1 .
Multiply c times est quotient #1 (producing yet another 128 bit number).
Subtract c times est quotient #1 from the 128 bit product of a x b

Repeat this process again, with est quotient #2.

At this point, c will go into the result 1 or 0 times.

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
This makes no sense to me at all.

I just reread what I wrote, I was being special. I blame it on lack of sleep.

Hurkyl said:
CRG: are you familiar with Montgomery multiplication, Barrett reduction, and/or Newton division?

You could even go so far as to write a multiprecision division algorithm to compute the remainder.

Yes, yes, and yes. I don't think I could write them correctly and efficiently without a reference, but I understand the basic principles and may have coded some of them (not recently).

My question is essentially, "What's an efficient multiprecision modular reduction/division algorithm for two-word numbers?".

Jeff Reid said:
This would all be so easy in 64 bit mode assembly where there is a 128 product and 128 bit dividend to work with.

Good point. Maybe I should just buckle down and try this in Intel assembly (gcc-style).

Jeff Reid said:
Anyway, to divide 128 bit number by a 64 bit number in 3 steps:

normalize both numbers (left shift until most significant bit is 1), keeping track of shift counts.
Divide normalized a x b by normalized c.
Shift the quotient right by the appropriate bit count.
Subtract 1 from this quotient to get est quotient #1 .
Multiply c times est quotient #1 (producing yet another 128 bit number).
Subtract c times est quotient #1 from the 128 bit product of a x b

Repeat this process again, with est quotient #2.

At this point, c will go into the result 1 or 0 times.

I'm going to have to think about this, breaking it down to 64-bit steps. Thanks.

Related to Solving Modular Multiplication with C/C++

1. How do I solve modular multiplication using C/C++?

To solve modular multiplication using C/C++, you can use the modulus operator (%) to find the remainder of the multiplication. For example, if you want to calculate (a * b) mod c, you can use the expression (a * b) % c to find the remainder.

2. Can you provide an example code for solving modular multiplication in C/C++?

Sure, here is an example code for solving (a * b) mod c using C/C++:

int modularMultiplication(int a, int b, int c) { return (a * b) % c;}

3. What is the purpose of solving modular multiplication?

The purpose of solving modular multiplication is to find the remainder of a multiplication operation when divided by a specific number (modulus). This is useful in many applications, including cryptography, coding theory, and computer graphics.

4. Can modular multiplication be performed with non-integer numbers in C/C++?

Yes, modular multiplication can be performed with non-integer numbers in C/C++. However, you may need to use a library such as boost::multiprecision to handle large floating-point numbers.

5. Are there any other ways to solve modular multiplication in C/C++?

Yes, there are other ways to solve modular multiplication in C/C++. One alternative is to use the pow() function from the cmath library to calculate (ab) mod c. Another option is to use the __int128 data type to handle large integers without using external libraries.