Solving Matrix Equations in SL(2,C) for Arbitrary Vectors

• Thread starter emma83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary: Thanks for trying to help, though.In summary, the law for matrix multiplication in SL(2,C) is the same as usual. You need to know the effect of A_k on two linearly independent vectors in order to solve for the matrix.
emma83
Hello,

Is the law for matrix multiplication in SL(2,C) the same as usual ? I try to solve the equation [tex]A_{k}k_{0}A_{k}^{\dagger}=k[/tex] where [tex]k_0[/tex] corresponds to the unit vector [tex]\{0,0,1\}[/tex] and [tex]k[/tex] is an arbitrary vector, i.e.:

[tex]k0=
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
2 & 0 \\
0 & 0 \\
\end{array} \right)
[/tex]

[tex]k=
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
1+n_3 & n_- \\
n_+ & 1-n_3 \\
\end{array} \right)
[/tex]

If I try to solve for
[tex]A_k=
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
a & b \\
c & d \\
\end{array} \right)
[/tex]

this gives (where [tex]a*[/tex] is the conjugate of [tex]a[/tex]):
[tex]A_{k}k_{0}A_{k}^{\dagger}=
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
2aa* & 2ac* \\
2ca* & 2cc* \\
\end{array} \right)
[/tex]

So this gives conditions on [tex]\{a,c\}[/tex] but can [tex]\{b,c\}[/tex] be arbitrary ? How do I solve this equation and obtain the expression of [tex]A_k[/tex] involving only [tex]n_+, n_-[/tex] and [tex]n_3[/tex] ?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm too lazy to think about the rest, but I multiplied the matrices together and got the same result you did, so that part seems to be OK.

Well, thanks Fredrik but now I really would like to know how to do "the rest" !

I think you need to know the effect of [itex]A_k[/itex] on at least two linearly independent vectors to completely determine the matrix.

Thanks, actually I found an answer for [tex]A_{k}[/tex] without the details of the calculation. I tried to compute [tex]A_{k}k_{0}A_{k}^{\dagger}[/tex] but I don't get [tex]k[/tex] as would be expected.

The proposed solution is:

[tex]A_k=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2C(1+n_3)}}
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
C(1+n_3) & -n_- \\
Cn_+ & 1+n_3 \\
\end{array} \right)
[/tex]
i.e.:
[tex]A_{k}=UB[/tex]
where:
[tex]U=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2(1+n_3)}}
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
(1+n_3) & -n_- \\
n_+ & 1+n_3 \\
\end{array} \right)
[/tex]
and
[tex]B=
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
\sqrt{C} & 0 \\
0 & \frac{1}{\sqrt{C}} \\
\end{array} \right)
[/tex]

The [tex]C[/tex] that appears is actually a constant in [tex]k[/tex] that I ignored for simplification in my first posting:

[tex]k=C
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
1+n_3 & n_- \\
n_+ & 1-n_3 \\
\end{array} \right)
[/tex]

Can somebody else try to see if this result is correct ?

Without further restrictions, I don't think that there is a unique solution for [itex]A_k[/itex]. What happens when your [itex]A_k[/itex] is multiplied on the right by an element of the little group of [itex]k_0[/itex]?

Related to Solving Matrix Equations in SL(2,C) for Arbitrary Vectors

1. What is the definition of a matrix equation in SL(2,C)?

A matrix equation in SL(2,C) is an equation that involves matrices from the special linear group of 2x2 complex matrices. This means that the determinant of the matrices must be 1 and the elements must be complex numbers.

2. How is a matrix equation in SL(2,C) solved?

A matrix equation in SL(2,C) is solved by using techniques such as Gaussian elimination or matrix inversion. The goal is to find the values of the matrices that satisfy the given equation.

3. What are the applications of matrix equations in SL(2,C)?

Matrix equations in SL(2,C) have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to solve systems of linear equations, transform coordinates, and represent geometric transformations.

4. How does the special linear group of 2x2 complex matrices differ from other matrix groups?

The special linear group of 2x2 complex matrices is unique because it consists of matrices with a determinant of 1 and complex number entries. This group has special properties and applications that are different from other matrix groups.

5. Can a matrix equation in SL(2,C) have multiple solutions?

Yes, a matrix equation in SL(2,C) can have multiple solutions. This is because the special linear group of 2x2 complex matrices is a non-commutative group, meaning that the order of multiplication matters and can lead to different solutions for the same equation.