Solving Mass Conservation with Characteristic System

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a partial differential equation and finding two functions that are constant on characteristics. One function, I_1, was found to be x_1^2+x_2^2, but the second function with t is still unknown.
stanley.st
Hello i want to solve

[tex]\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial v_1\rho}{\partial x_1}+\frac{\partial v_2\rho}{\partial x_2}[/tex]

for v_1 = -x_2 and v_2=x_1

i obtain equation

[tex]\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t}+x_2\frac{\partial\rho}{\partial x_1}-x_1\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial x_2}=0[/tex]

Charakteristik system is

[tex]\begin{array}{rcl}t'&=&1\\x_1'&=&x_2\\x_2'&=&-x_1\end{array}[/tex]

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have misunderstood the purpose of this forum. We are not here to do your work for you. What have you done on this problem yourself and what specific questions about it do you have?

I need to find two functions I_1, I_2 constant on charakterstics and write general solution

[tex]u(x,y,t)=\varphi(I_1,I_2)[/tex]

I found one function

[tex]I_1=x_1^2+x_2^2[/tex]

I don't know to find second one with t. Thx

Related to Solving Mass Conservation with Characteristic System

1. How does the characteristic system help with mass conservation?

The characteristic system is a mathematical tool that can be used to solve problems related to mass conservation. It helps by breaking down a complex system into simpler parts, which can then be individually analyzed and the results combined to determine the overall mass conservation.

2. What are the key principles of mass conservation?

The key principles of mass conservation include the conservation of mass, which states that mass cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed or transferred. The other principle is the conservation of charge, which states that the total electrical charge in a closed system remains constant.

3. How is the characteristic system used to solve mass conservation problems?

The characteristic system is used by first identifying the variables involved in the mass conservation problem and then setting up a system of equations based on the known relationships between these variables. These equations can then be solved using the characteristic system to determine the unknown values and ensure mass conservation is maintained.

4. What are some real-world applications of using the characteristic system to solve mass conservation?

The characteristic system can be applied in various fields such as environmental science, chemistry, and engineering. For example, it can be used to model the flow of pollutants in a river or to analyze the chemical reactions involved in a manufacturing process to ensure mass conservation is maintained.

5. How does the characteristic system account for any errors or uncertainties in the initial data?

The characteristic system takes into account errors and uncertainties in the initial data by allowing for a margin of error in the calculations. By using multiple equations and variables, it can help to minimize the impact of any errors and provide a more accurate solution for mass conservation problems.